BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Servodyne
Servodyne
England
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson, bikerboy
11023 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
koan58 68
DavidP 64
Rohan 51
Popular Topics(Views)
1,150,777 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,980
Posts691,293
Members11,023
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
48 registered members (Beach), 1,575 guests, and 994 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
rocker box cover #504290 09/01/13 9:12 pm
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
I have a set of Webco rocker box cover finned (for cooling) and 1 have a threaded barb fitting in it guessing to relieve top end pressure along with crankcase breather. Anyone else using something like this? Is it a good Idea? Guessing run hose down to underneath bike.

Thanks Red

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: rocker box cover [Re: Red Lapierre] #504301 09/01/13 10:29 pm
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Hi Red!
I happen to have a set like yours also, with the breather set-up.

Have you also found, as I did, that those Webco covers are a lot heavier than the stock ones?

I also have along the years, collected a few stock covers, that have had this mod done to them...
Now, I don't know if a 1/4" [ or less ] opening really does anything for the intended purpose....

And, I don't know if this mod really does anything for the engine... So, I cannot directly answer your question....

I was sort of planning to use the Webco's on the one A10 I'm building, where I was planning to use up all the no longer stock, and/or altered stock, or aftermarket parts I've accumulated all these years, which is where that elongated solid mag gear/tach driver nut you sent me { THANKS again! } is going to be used, along with the scroll-worked cases.

But, here is a problem; the set of scroll-worked cases also came with scroll-worked rocker covers, so do I "break up" the set to use the Webco's??

Ennyway, may I suggest you 'copy' a turnip idea?
Run the breather hose clear out to the back of the bike, along one side of the rear fender.
I wouldn't think to "just" drop the hose to below the engine.... If you just go below the engine, might the oil, if enough gets out the hose, contaminate the rear tire, and possibly compromise it's traction??? [ Pavement wise? ]

Just a thought for YOUR safety, and the bikes as well...

Heck, if you do go this way, maybe a "catch can" could be integrated into the hose path, so that maybe ALL the oil wouldn't be lost through the hose?
I think I read on this site somewhere, where someone did something like that?
I do not remember if the person ever found a way to easily return the condensed oil back to the engine or oil tank...
I'd think just about any connection to the engine, would be another path for crank case ventilation to exit... In or out...

I also have one intermediate timing case, that was drilled, tapped, and a 90 degree brass pipe fitting emplaced on the top rear side, for additional breathing...
No idea how to attempt to plumb any or all the various attempts at case breathing to one catch can, or exit hose....
1) Original breathing port at the end of the cam
2) breathing port at the rocker cover
3) breathing port on the top of the middle timing case
Brett

Re: rocker box cover [Re: Red Lapierre] #504321 09/02/13 4:54 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Since I fitted a rocker cover breather to the A65, any leaks from the camshaft timed breather was eliminated (a 1/4" hole was fine but after a hard run I would get 1-2 spots of oil, with a 1/2" breather all oil spots were eliminated)

I had run a long hose to the rear of the bike, but with the hose being so long (and fairly big OD) I am always concerned about it getting squashed. I am now considering a small catch tank close to the engine and breather filter not too far from that.

By adding the breather, the bike ran better in all aspects. Smoother, accelerated better and maintained speed better. I also tried fitting a one way valve and this didn't give my bike any benefits.

2c

beerchug
Re: rocker box cover [Re: Red Lapierre] #504342 09/02/13 9:18 am
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Yes they are heavier then stock. I will try one then. Thanks for the input. The reason I asked was after about 50 mile ride I started the bike and could hear a strange squeaking sound located it to be the RB cover had loosen up a bit allowing air to squeak out the gasket. (I had installed 2 solid covers I have 2 Webco sets) I will put one with breather on and add filter on the end of hose.
Thanks Red

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Re: rocker box cover [Re: Red Lapierre] #504348 09/02/13 10:25 am
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by Red Lapierre
hear a strange squeaking sound located it to be the RB cover had loosen up a bit allowing air to squeak out the gasket.

Oh yeah, sort of like a reed on a wind instrument?
Except, it's nowhere near a tuned note...

Re: rocker box cover [Re: Red Lapierre] #504358 09/02/13 11:50 am
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Yep that was it. Rickman I would keep the scroll-worked pieces together.

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Re: rocker box cover [Re: Red Lapierre] #504371 09/02/13 12:59 pm
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Yes, that's pretty much what I was also thinking...

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership