BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
T120C
T120C
Central Virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
BradM, Andrew C., muzza123, Siwy, Troy Walls
11012 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 134
koan58 69
DavidP 50
Popular Topics(Views)
1,148,432 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,913
Posts690,774
Members11,012
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 1,089 guests, and 923 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lucus E3L question #498702 07/23/13 12:48 am
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
If the gen. is wired for neg. earth and works. Can it work in pos. earth wiring? Or are gen. not changeable?

Thanks Red

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498721 07/23/13 7:06 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If my memory serves me correctly, you need to "flash" the dynamo to earth. In other words, join the Field and armature (D+F) together and have a wire coming from that not going anywhere for the moment.

Start the bike

touch earth with the free wire.

Its been a long time since I played with A10's but i'm pretty sure this was what we d
id.

Crossed that out as I didn't want to confuse anyone, thankyou lekkie i'll save that.

Question though, if your changing from -ve to +ve do you flash the field coil across the -v battery terminal, I'm assuming your post is to go from +ve to -ve?

Many thanks

Last edited by Allan Gill; 07/23/13 9:23 am. Reason: correct solution posted

beerchug
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498726 07/23/13 7:46 am
L
Lekkie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
What you actually do is this.(Assuming you are changing the polarity of the bike)

1)Reverse battery connections
2)Disconnect the green wire "F" from the regulator.
3)Flash the wire on the positive terminal of your battery. That is to say just touch the wire on the terminal
4)Reconnect the green "F" wire to the regulator.

Note: "F" means the field winding in the dynamo.

You will need a spare piece of wire (anything will do) to extend the length of the "F" wire to enable you do this. When you touch the wire you will see a spark. Thats it. Job done.

One other thing. When you change polarity you will need to reverse the ammeter connections.
John

Last edited by Lekkie; 07/23/13 7:47 am.
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498730 07/23/13 10:33 am
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
The wiring shown in shop manual are different for Pos or neg earth coming out of gen. So your direction are for after I change wiring?

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498756 07/23/13 3:18 pm
L
Lekkie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
Just to clarify. Positive earth is defined as the positive (+) terminal of the battery being connected to ground (ie the frame) and that the negative battery terminal being connected to the wiring harness. Negative earth means that the battery negative (-) terminal is grounded to the frame and the positive battery terminal being connected to the wiring harness. Irrespective of the battery polarity the green wire from the dynamo connects the dynamo field winding to the regulator. It always goes to "F" on the regulator. The yellow wire is "D" and it always goes to the "D" connection on the regulator this is always the case whether you choose to have negative or positive earth. These wire colours and connections never ever change. To set the dynamo polarity for the system that you opt for, the dynamo field winding (connected to the green wire) is always flashed by touching the wire to the live battery terminal. The "live" battery terminal is defined as the battery terminal that is connected to the wiring harness. The battery terminal that is grounded to the frame is the earth terminal. If you have a positive earth system the (+) terminal of the battery will be grounded to the frame and the negative terminal battery terminal will be connected to the wiring harness. If you have a negative earth system the (-) terminal will be grounded to the frame. And the positive terminal will be connected to the wiring harness. It does not matter if your wiring harness is described as being for positive earth or negative earth. You simply connect the battery to suit your preference. The dynamo (generator) is then flashed to make the polarity compatible with how you have connected up the battery. The regulator will work regardless of the chosen polarity if it is the original Lucas electro mechanical type. Solid state electronic regulators will not. Solid state electronic regulators are polarity specific and they cannot be made to work with reversed polarity. That is to say a positive earth electronic regulator will not work with a negative earth system. Indeed it will be ruined if you try to do this. The wires coming out of the generator will always be the same. "F" Green and "D" yellow. This does not change with polarity. By way of illustrating the point, if for example a wiring harness is described as being for positive earth bikes, and you decide that you want negative earth, then simply reverse the battery terminal connections and the ammeter connections, and then polarise the dynamo. Personally I prefer negative earth on my bike because that affords some advantages over positive earth. That is however, a whole new topic which I will not go into now.
John

Last edited by Lekkie; 07/23/13 4:11 pm.
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498839 07/24/13 9:43 am
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Lekkie
The question I have in Haynes manual the wiring for + earth
wires coming out of the gen left brush is to earth(grounded).
this is opposite for - earth right brush is grounded that is wiring I'm asking does it need to be changed? Field wiring changes too.
From your instruction it don't need to be done.

Thanks to all
Red

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498869 07/24/13 4:10 pm
L
Lekkie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L

Red, you leave the generator untouched. There are no changes needed to the generator. Just flash the generator to set the polarity as described that is all you need to do. If you look at the circuit diagrams you will see that the earthed brush goes to "D" on both negative earth and positive earth circuits.
John.

Last edited by Lekkie; 07/24/13 4:14 pm.
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498888 07/24/13 6:50 pm
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
OK Thanks

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498911 07/24/13 10:04 pm
trevinoz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I don't think "the earthed brush goes to "D".

Re: Lucus E3L question [Re: Red Lapierre] #498920 07/24/13 11:35 pm
R
Red Lapierre Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Earth brush goes to winding then comes out as Field. The other brush is D

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership