BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
rkinkade
rkinkade
Victoria, Texas
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B33, odd knocking only when cold ! (SOLVED)
#495624 06/27/13 3:15 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi all,

Now I am very familiar with the B33 type engines having had one for many years until I sold it, 20 years ago. I knew it right down to the crank shaft (if you see what I mean).

I got another one 2 months ago and am loving it again.

However, it does have an odd thing about it. Start it up from cold, let it tick over for a minute to get the oil moving. Then, when I accelerate away it makes quite a heavy knocking noise from the motor. The first time it did it I thought "Ah, I will be fitting a new crank or big end very soon" - But I then found that within 1/2 a mile, it stopped doing it I could then give it full throttle and it sounded fine. This has been the case with every journey. It will "re-do" it if I park it up for more than say 30 minutes.

I had considered a loose exhaust pipe to head, but it's not that.
I checked all mounting bolts (but that wouldn't change on warming up)
I wondered if the oil (it came with fitted) was too thick, so put 20/50 in.

It has an inline oil filter in the return pipe (mounted in the tool box), but I doubt that would be anything to do with it.

Any thoughts folks ?

John in the N.W. UK

Last edited by John Birkett; 09/11/14 3:38 am.

Current rides = 1959 650 Matchless G12CSR in near showroom nick, 1956 BSA B33 in "Goldy" trim (yeh, I know, cheesy but I like it !)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: B33, odd knocking only when cold !
John Birkett #495634 06/27/13 4:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Piston slap ?

John Birkett #495639 06/27/13 4:58 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the input there smile

Sounds a bit "heavy" for piston slap, plus it blows no smoke and the comp is good, as is the plug colour. It really does "sound" like a hugely bad big end, but it can't be (can it ?) that would get worse if anything as the engine warmed up.

Odd one...

Current rides = 1959 650 Matchless G12CSR in near showroom nick, 1956 BSA B33 in "Goldy" trim (yeh, I know, cheesy but I like it !)
John Birkett #495641 06/27/13 5:10 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Actually, thinking about it, you could well be right !

Can't really be anything else (that I can think of !)

Last edited by John Birkett; 06/27/13 5:11 pm.

John Birkett #495652 06/27/13 6:56 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Piston slap will not affect compression, blow by etc if the rings are good, big ends going will get noisier as the engine heats up and worse under load.

John Birkett #495664 06/27/13 8:19 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Could be piston slap, but it also almost sounds like the oil flow is not quite there when you start off. You changed to 20/50 like you say, no change.
Not quite being familiar with B33 oiling arangements, how does the oil get into the crank ? Could the seal (quill?) be not quite 100%. Once warmed a bit, the oil flow is sufficient. I once removed some 'fluff' from an oil line that was doing something similar.

Sounds like the reason it was for sale - the PO didn't figure it out either ?!

John Birkett #495714 06/28/13 7:41 am
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
It could be that the small-end bush is too tight.When the piston heats up the pin can move more easily in the piston,but still doesn't move in the rod.

Pete R - R.I.P. #495723 06/28/13 9:13 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I did wonder about oil (which is why I mentioned the in line cartridge filter). These do use a quill on the timing cover, injecting oil up the centre of the crank. It all looks OK.

There is a decent flow from the return pipe in the tank straight away, with the usual bubbles (once the residual in the cartridge has cleared).

The bike is in a "touring Goldy" trim so this might be the ideal "reason" to get it re-bored and fit a higher comp piston (currently 7.5 :1) and some 2446 cams crazy

It already has had a re-con mag, a new Monobloc and a new exhaust shocked

John Birkett #495730 06/28/13 10:34 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Certainly not more likely than the other suggestions in your case, but this happened to me many years ago: When starting cold, one of the valve guides used to come loose and moved with the valve, up and down a short distance and making a strong noise. As temperature got higher, the guide settled and the noise went away.

John Birkett #495736 06/28/13 12:10 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Interesting one Pelle crazy

Well worth adding to my (our) knowledge base smile

I reckon though this knocking sounds and feels heavier than a valve guide moving.

It even sounds a bit heavy for piston slap from my experience.

Hey ho, perhaps I should just wait and let the fault "mature" a bit laughing (or summat breaks crazy )

Last edited by John Birkett; 06/28/13 12:11 pm.

Re: B33, odd knocking only when cold ! (SOLVED)
John Birkett #562657 09/11/14 3:37 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Came back on the forum to look for summat else and realised I had not done a "solved" on this one.

I feel a bit daft because it was such a silly thing. I was routinely checking tightness of various nuts and bolts and I almost idly checked the 4 head to case studs, yes they were no way near as tight as they should be blush Two of them (the front ones) needed about half a turn to feel correctly tight. Since doing that the knocking noise has gone and a good few hundred miles later all is good.

On a side note, the clearance on those hex flats to get a spanner in is a bit tight. What type of spanner dear reader do you use ? (I was considering getting one of those split ring type "pipe nut" ones ?)

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership