BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
zambu
zambu
Switzerland
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
AMAL MK2 odd setting
#494398 06/17/13 2:28 pm
Pacha Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have finally put my T140E back on the road. New suspension, brakes, and engine.

But the bike has a rough idle and miss when I open the throttle fast (not that fast) at about 1/8 throttle.

The spark plugs are new, the electronic ignition is set as the manual indicates and using fresh gas.

The bike has stock everything but the mufflers (Dunstalls replicas).

I have disassembled the carbs to have them cleaned and noticed that I donĀ“t have a factory setting.

Needle is 2c3 set in the middle groove
Needle jet is .105"
Slide is #3 (with some play)
Main jet is 200
Pilot jet and choke are both 35

I know I have a USA EPA carb setting but with different pilot an choke jets. Could that be the cause for the engine bad idle and miss?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Pacha; 06/17/13 2:29 pm.

Bonneville 1979 T140E
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: AMAL MK2 odd setting
Pacha #494414 06/17/13 4:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The pilot jet is too large, the enrichener jet is fine. Install the stock #25 pilot jet or maybe a leaner #20. There is a Euro jetting spec that I don't know off hand. The pilot/idle jet is # 15 but with the Dunstalls, I suggest the #20 with the Euro specs. It has been talked about many times so you should be able to search and find the specs. Use #5 heat range Champion spark plugs too.

Tom

Last edited by tomterrific; 06/17/13 4:52 pm.
Re: AMAL MK2 odd setting
tomterrific #495048 06/22/13 5:56 pm
Pacha Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I can find #20 jets locally I will try them. since I will buy new slides, does any one have a recomendee jeting for a stock T140E with donstall replicas?

Bonneville 1979 T140E

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership