BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
TT John
TT John
Whitstable England
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Modern in-line oil filter
#490018 05/13/13 10:07 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi folks,

Just wondering what percentage of folk think using a modern in-line oil filter cartridge in the return line is a good idea ? (and are there folks who think it is a bad idea perhaps ?)

I was thinking about the effect of any "back pressure" they might cause and if this would affect the scavenging in any way.

Current rides = 1959 650 Matchless G12CSR in near showroom nick, 1956 BSA B33 in "Goldy" trim (yeh, I know, cheesy but I like it !)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Modern in-line oil filter
John Birkett #490037 05/13/13 11:28 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Only time I have seen these give a problem was where the oil pump was worn and needed a refurb to get rid of the wear, the engine wet sumped while it was running but with a pump refurb it worked fine. Fit these to all my engines as cannot see any downsides.

John Birkett #490047 05/13/13 1:52 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I would like to fit one to my ZB. I've got one on my a65.
Has anyone tried fitting a Commando type filter housing to a ZB. I've looked at the normal position just in front of the rear wheel and there is not a lot of room there.

Mark F.
'52 ZB34 Gold Star.
'65 Lightning Rocket.
'74 Roadster Commando.

M Shearer #490050 05/13/13 2:49 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Don't know the exact situation on a ZB, but on a DBD a Commando type filter will not fit between the gearbox and the rear wheel.
I have seen a B33, with a Commando type oil filter fitted inside the toolbox, maybe that is an option here also.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Peter R #490052 05/13/13 3:04 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mine has one fitted (by the previous owner) in the tool box.

There was a guy at the N. Shropshire owners club camping meet (weekend just gone) with a ZDB who had one on top of his gearbox, but that was a Daytona box shocked so it may have had more spare room around it.

Current rides = 1959 650 Matchless G12CSR in near showroom nick, 1956 BSA B33 in "Goldy" trim (yeh, I know, cheesy but I like it !)
John Birkett #490072 05/13/13 6:14 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I've had oil filters in the return line of my Goldie for several years without a problem. My first filter sold here in the US by MAP and uses a replaceable 'tubular' cartridge as was fitted to Tri/BSA triples. I had it mounted to the LH tranny mounting plate and the element was replaced from the bottom. We also have a MAP filter on our GS dirt tracker. It's great to be able to cut open the cartrige, carefully rinse away the oil and with a magnifying glass look for any metallic swarf.

I've seen a UK made filter adverised much the same as the MAP unit.

A few years ago I replaced the MAP unit and fit one of GStarRon's 'screw on automotive type cartrige' filter on my road Goldie. He has designed the alu housing with the smallish cartrige to bolt to the plate and fit behind the pre unit BSA tranny. It like the MAP unit is nearly out of sight but with easy access from beneath to change the element.

Like many others I'm a firm believer in having a oil filter and a magnetic sump drain plug and a K&N air cleaner.

Last edited by dave - NV; 05/13/13 7:38 pm.

Dave - NV
Dave - NV #490086 05/13/13 8:05 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I've got a bob light oil filter fitted on mine, had no problems at all. Mounted it across the top of the gear box, it takes a bsa / triumph triple filter. Most of the racing lads use them.
Will post some pics when I get chance..

John Birkett #490314 05/15/13 12:53 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
GSDave I've never heard of a bob light oil filter. Care to enlighten me?

Mark F.
'52 ZB34 Gold Star.
'65 Lightning Rocket.
'74 Roadster Commando.

John Birkett #490321 05/15/13 1:16 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I have a new Bob Light oil filetr ready to fit to mine when I get a chance over the northern summer.

Bob is a UK GS guy and sells the filter kits, which includes the tube for the filter (long, thin old-style Triumph Trident paper element) - the tube has a screw-on top one end a fitting for an oil line the other, with the second oil line near the cap end on the side.

Mount it anywhere, in any attitude, and run the hoses from engine return port to filter body, filter body to oil tank return inlet. Bob will supply a variety of metal fittings to help route the oil lines, depending on how and where you want to mount the filter. The basic kit has various options, though other oil line fittings are available at a small additional cost.

There are lots of them out there,a s has been said. Bob is active with a couple of bikes in the UK GS race series, with a rider on his bikes.

Last edited by Kerry W; 05/15/13 1:17 pm.

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Kerry W #490375 05/15/13 8:28 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
[Linked Image]

This is my filter fitted, as you can see i welded 2 alloy brackets onto the filter body and bolted it to the gear box brackets.
the filter element is easily accessible from the primary side rather than it sitting vertical behind the box in all the road muck.
i made the oil lines myself out of 5/16" stainless thin wall pipe, machined the 60 deg fittings then silver soldered them together.

GS DAVE #490377 05/15/13 8:54 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Very nice Dave !! ... neat, clean AND accessible!.
English craftsmanship lives !

James.

GS DAVE #490378 05/15/13 9:04 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
[Linked Image]

Here is a pick of the feed and return lines made in the same way, they have a nice 85 deg ish bend in them rather than bending the hose which can split on the oem shower hose lines..

John Birkett #491330 05/22/13 11:38 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
GS Dave very nice looking job.

I mounted a small automotive filter on my DB 34 on the front right hand engine mounting plate.

Cut out a new mounting plate from 3mm plate, machined parts to fit the filter and silver soldered them together then welded the assembly to the new mounting plate.

The filer fits neatly between the exhaust pipe and mounting plate

Will post photo when I work out how to.

GS DAVE #492174 05/29/13 2:22 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by GS DAVE
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holly Chit Batman ! That is one shinny bike. Can you show us the whole thing. I'd love my bike to look like that but then I'd have to wash it shocked How much polishing did that take. Looks like it was done by a pro :bigt Also I love the brass. Are those pieces originally brass or plated? Sorry if this has been covered already.

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
wadeschields #492239 05/29/13 10:06 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The rev drive is original bronze and the other fittings are original brass polished, yes it take a lot of cleaning!!!!!!
Will post some pics on a separate thread titled Daves bike.
Thanks for the compliment..

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership