BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
AG Bill
AG Bill
Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Heff, kerna, Col, paullowe, Okiewan
10912 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 86
quinten 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,686 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,064
Posts683,146
Members10,912
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (998John), 377 guests, and 830 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content #434186 05/09/12 10:50 pm
ricochetrider Offline OP
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well, the deal is done. I bought a Modern Motorcycle.

I've had a hankerin for one for a while, and I honestly was trying to buy a Triumph. I fancied a Sprint GT, but in the end, it seemed more like a crotch rocket with saddle bags, than a true touring bike- too heavy on the "sport" angle. Well not to mention it would'a cost me a REAL chunk-o-change...

So I set my sights on a different machine, of German heritage. And not brand-y new, but a 2002 model. Since I own a couple of these beasts (of various vintage) already, I figured it wasn't too long a leap, from the frying pan to the fire, dontcha know.

SO here she (it) is:

[Linked Image]

Lemme tells ya, these things are hard to lay hands on lately. They fairly fly outta folks garages. I finally got mine tho- BUT it was a full 8 hours off, in the southern end of Virginia. Down where the countryside looks like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The lovely Miss C drove down with me, and then followed me home, I on the bike and she in the car. We left Friday afternoon and drove most of the way there, staying the night at a fantastic little 1950s motel, the Alpine Motel- it's shining lights on the hill behind the place like a beacon to some weary travelers:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After picking up the bike and moving out, we stopped along the way to visit with Lannis & Fay at their lovely County Estate. Well it WAS "on the way"... Kinda.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We (thoroughly) enjoyed a nice evening of fantastic Southern Hospitality and good company, then got up Sunday and took a bimble the next day up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, as it was "on our way" home... Well, more or less on the way anyhow.

Unlike the last time (which I believe all will agree will live in infamy) -when it poured buckets of rain, and was so foggy you were hard pressed to follow your front wheel- as you couldn't SEE it! This time the weather cooperated more in the way you like- It was cool and cloudy, with alternating sunshine and some fog. More over, the Parkway was all but deserted! Nobody there, well HARDLY any one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was great, and the ride home was 625 miles exactly. All was good -totally uneventful, in fact- until about 20 feet from my driveway, when some kid pulled out right in front of me as he and his buddies were leaving the park across the street from our house!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434190 05/09/12 11:02 pm
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Nice photos once again Tom. Nice that you could pop in on Lannis and Faye too. That bike should take you just about any place you choose to go. (as long as it is paved at least)

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434216 05/10/12 2:09 am
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Thanks Tom. :bigt
Pics = memories beerchug

Blue Ridge clap

2c

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434221 05/10/12 2:29 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
It was sho' a nice day, that Sunday - we "saw them on their road" on the way to take the big Beemer back to its new home ....

Glad to have Tom and Cynthia at Chez Selz
[Linked Image]

Some cloudy bits up in the hills -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Monacan Indians? Must be Amherst County

[Linked Image]

Mountain laurel in bloom everywhere

[Linked Image]

A feller from Boston who was down riding "our" roads tells Cynthia about the ride:

[Linked Image]

And blue skies finally prevailed!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice day out even if it was on appliances! The BritBikes will have their outings though ...

Lannis

I'll believe that it's a crisis when the people who tell me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis ...
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434224 05/10/12 2:32 am
snowbeard Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
that is quite the appliance Tom! congrats!

I like how they've redesigned the fairing to direct the engine heat AWAY from your knees, not fully onto them smile

=================
/1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (in a friend's shed)
/1960 BSA Super Rocket Basket Case (in the attic!)
/1987 BMW K100LT nekkid
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434256 05/10/12 10:50 am
Crazy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
WOW thanks for that.always good to see faces and new country

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434278 05/10/12 3:04 pm
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Nice pho-toes boys!

Tupperware, huh? Does the gas tank 'burp' after you replace the cap?? laugh

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434288 05/10/12 3:54 pm
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
I bought a Modern Motorcycle

If that's a Beemer... where are the cylinderheads?

crazy

You are right about the Hinkley Sprint GT. I sat on it three years ago, shortly after my hernia operation.
Within a few seconds I realised there was no way I would be able to edure that bike for more than half an hour and did not even testride.
A week later I went for the Trophy I have now. Love at first sit grin

Enjoy that bike, Tom.

beerchug

PS, theres nice countryside over here also.

[Linked Image]
[click-01]

Problem is:when you turn around 180 degr, this is what you see... grin

[Linked Image]
[click-02]

Ger B

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434440 05/11/12 1:05 pm
DPO Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Nice Beemer Dude! Looks like ya'll had a blast! Reminds me of the road trip I took from Atlanta to Chicago to get the wifes 2005 Triumph back in '07....Flew up there, rode the bike back solo. Really enjoyed the ride...

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434483 05/11/12 3:21 pm
ricochetrider Offline OP
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I'd have flown and rode myself but no airports
at Big Stone Gap, VA! laughing
So pulled the slower option- DRIVE & Ride... smile
ALL Good!

K100 sale pending to a nice man from Buffalo NY-
We've reached an agreement, I'm waiting on deposit and new title from PENNDOT (VIN issue- now resolved). Just cut the cost of the newbie ride in (slightly better than) half! clap

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434528 05/11/12 8:56 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
I'd have flown and rode myself but no airports
at Big Stone Gap, VA! laughing
So pulled the slower option- DRIVE & Ride... smile
ALL Good!

K100 sale pending to a nice man from Buffalo NY-
We've reached an agreement, I'm waiting on deposit and new title from PENNDOT (VIN issue- now resolved). Just cut the cost of the newbie ride in (slightly better than) half! clap

Good that the old bike sold (we hope) ... don't want too many bikes piling up making the investment look too big!

Time to put in some miles with Cynthia aboard and let her compare it to the R100 ...

Lannis

I'll believe that it's a crisis when the people who tell me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis ...
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434546 05/11/12 10:02 pm
ricochetrider Offline OP
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Cynthia's already said (after a shorty ride around the block) that the seat is more comfortable than any other bike I own... Slippery tho, something that others have said as I asked about on *other* forums.... Someone said they got a tiburon(?) seat cover that stopped all the sliding about.

I'll have to sort that. I'm trying to visualize a Russell Day Long saddle on the K12... Not sure that's the way I wanna go...

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434614 05/12/12 8:18 am
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
[Linked Image]

[click]

Tiburon, afa I know, is a brandname for gels which are used (among many other applications) in competition bicycle sadles.

You can try a gel pad as I have on the Hinkly Trophy.
It's less slippery than the original seat cover material.
There is a shape for the rider and a shape for the passenger.
I only have the rider pad. My wife refuses to sit on a motorcycle.

Ger B

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434622 05/12/12 9:17 am
Kent Shaun Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Tom Bro dude, now THAT is a perfick bike for my Brother from another mother :bigt With a machine such as that, the World is your Lobster, we'll be expecting ride reports from far afield from ya soon dude, fill the tank, load up, press the button and enjoy...

In the meantime, I'll be here blowing up BSA's and trying to rebuild them, so betwixt us both, we've got it covered grin

Be careful with them Gel seats out in the Sun lad, been told they heat up something cronic, and when your Biker Babe sits down.. shocked

Just sayin'

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434623 05/12/12 9:28 am
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Shaun: A lady is not supposed to sit on a bike in a mini skirt.

laughing

Ger B

Re: New Tupperware in The Driveway No BritBike Content [Re: ricochetrider] #434682 05/12/12 7:04 pm
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Tom all I can say is brrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm........ laughing

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership