BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Mark Z
Mark Z
Owego, NY, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 172
DavidP 71
reverb 64
NickL 55
Popular Topics(Views)
1,015,663 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,793
Posts680,316
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 394 guests, and 805 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! #393850 09/10/11 5:44 am
T
the tanned gland Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
Hi all, I have a question that has been on my mind for many years now regarding the last batch of Nortons to be produced at the Birmingham Bracebridge St factory. I have read that the last batch of Nortons were an order for the Queensland police force out here in Australia & that they were 650SS's. I have owned my 650SS for nearly 30 years now & it is a 1962 model & I was told by the chap I bought it from that it used to be an ex cop bike & the serial numbers (matching engine & frame) are from quite late in the year, I think September or possibly later. I have always wondered if my bike could have been part of this last batch & it would be really interesting to be able to find out whether or not this is the case. If anyone out there has some knowledge of the serial numbers of this batch to enable me to confirm or deny my beliefs I'd be very grateful.

Eschew Obfuscation !
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! [Re: the tanned gland] #393859 09/10/11 9:41 am
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
http://www.britishspares.com/42.php
British Spares has an approx list of numbers.
Where do your numbers fit in ?

Strictly speaking, anything made after Sept was a next years model, since the Norton manufacturing year then ran from Sept to Aug.

Also, after production moved to Plumstead, in the AMC factory, engines were stamped with a /P (for Plumstead) (not Police, as is sometimes suggested) so presumeably you don't have a /P in the number ?

If you are a member of the NOC, they can consult the factory records for a brief rundown of your bike. A more extensive listing is apparently available, at a cost.

Opethiselps, abit.

Re: Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! [Re: the tanned gland] #394367 09/14/11 1:20 am
T
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
G'day Rohan,
My serial number is 18 104970 2201 650SS this is what is stamped on the drive side case, there is no /P anywhere in the sequence.I got the September date reference from Roy Bacon's book on Norton Postwar twins in the engine & frame numbers section which states that for 650cc machines the numbers & approx dates when they were used is Date: 9-62 Number:104123 which would make my serial number 847 bikes later.I don't know if the number 104123 would have been the first serial number produced in Sept. 1962 or how many bikes they were likely to make in a month & did they put a bit of last minute effort in to get as many out as possible knowing they were moving to Plumstead to make up for lost time.
I used to be a member of N.O.C in Sydney but I have now moved to the country 5 hrs drive from Sydney & as far as I know the Sydney chapter of N.O.C is now defunct.
Funny how there is always a cost involved if you have the good sense to own a Norton.

Cheers mate.

Eschew Obfuscation !
Re: Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! [Re: the tanned gland] #397944 10/08/11 2:10 pm
oilyrag Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi All,
whilst I agree that the 'P' does stand for Plumstead, I've always wondered if it actually denotes some manufacturing change that took place when they moved, as I've seen lightweight twins and very late singles that don't have the 'P' suffix, was it only used on the heavyweight twins, and if so, what does it actually denote?
Does anybody have a lightweight or single with the 'P'?
Over to you lot,
cheers

Oil is always cheaper than metal
Re: Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! [Re: the tanned gland] #398290 10/10/11 10:46 pm
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Acoording to people who were involved, when dommie manufacturing shifted to Plumstead there was a manufacturing change - nothing made there fitted ! The story goes that all the wooden chocks etc that were fitted to the worn out old machinery to give the right measurements and clearances didn't make the move and the new operators weren't aware they were required.

Apparently this was so bad, it was felt that the /P was required, to warn the Dealers of this.

e.g. It was said that new cylinder heads wouldn't fit old cylinders. Somewhere about here the cylinders lost their top spiggotts = related ??

It has also been mentioned that the blueprints hadn't been revised since who-knows-when, and that what was currently being made bore little resemblance to what the blueprints showed.

There is more to a smoothly running factory/workshop than how clean the floor is....

Re: Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! [Re: the tanned gland] #398312 10/11/11 12:39 am
D
DogT Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D

Dave
69S
Re: Last batch of Nortons out of Bracebridge Street !! [Re: the tanned gland] #400258 10/23/11 5:08 am
T
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
I like to refer to Nortons made at the Bracebridge Street plant as having "Had a touch of the plank" If it hasn't had a touch of the plank is it actually a "real" Norton?

Eschew Obfuscation !

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership