so after many cold nights through winter and sweaty days in summer I finally have it all back together and running.
Here are some photos of how it looked when it arrived as an american import at my house in Switzerland.
This is definitely not an original paint scheme, looks like the last owner crashed on the left side, there is a nice dent in the primary chain cover where the footrest hit and a bent clutch lever. Looks like he fitted replacement instruments and a tank and likely other parts. Probably why it now has the export tank for the later Triumph Bonneville and the graphics for a 1978 ish Bonneville. Doesn't look so bad though and I will fix the cosmetics after I get it rebuilt and registered here in Switzerland.
and from the other side
So far, not so bad, but as you get under the skin you can see there are marks of age
It wasn't in too bad shape but the more I investigated I found more rust and neglect not surprising for a bike that is over 40 years old.
First thing I did was too see if the motor turned over, it did, so I changed the oil and then started work on the carbs. They were pretty horrible on the inside and got to live in my sonicater bath in acetone for a few hours and then were given a good clean out. I polished up the slides on my polishing machine and gave the carb body inside a good once over with 1200 wet and dry. Ended up with freely moving slides. Then I put it all together and refitted both carbs to the bike, rigged up a petrol reservoir out of a water bottle, fitted a battery, and cleaned the plugs. Started up after the tenth kick! Awesome! I took it for a ride up and down the street to check the clutch (took some freeing off) and gearbox - the gears were all in there and selected nicely.
Decision time, frame dove grey or black?
Decided to go for black....
So I spent about 6 weeks up to and over Xmas to disassemble it mostly in sub-zero degrees C temperatures in my garage with a small electric heater for company.
As the engine was a runner and without major mechanical sounds of impending disaster I left it alone but replaced all bearings on the cycle parts and bought new shocks and exhausts but kept the original Dunstalls with the original very noisy straight through sound!
Here are the rebuild components ready to go.
It took me up until Easter to polish up and renovate most of what you see here.
Then it took about 6 weeks of weekends and nights to put this lot back together
Swing arm bearings and new shocks in
Battery tray and underseat components
wheels front forks fitted to get this sucker looking like a motorbike
side panels fitted to see how it looks [img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa6a.jpg
on with the handlebars and headlight fixing, still got the original fixings couldn't source yet the various rubbers for the headlight mounting from the internet..
check out that nicely polished rear wheel area..
The big day - refitted the fuel reservoir and battery let's get it going!
Except it didn't go. AAARGHHH !!!
Took a month of weekend fettling with the electrics, luckily I kept the old loom and laid it out on a board to check out the new one. But didn't discover the trick til I read the trouble shooting guide for Boyer
Bransden - had the ignition wired backwards... mea culpa.
IT RUNS !!!
Here is the completed rebuild ready to go to the licensing authorities once I have the front mudguard and a stand fitted
Once that is done I will start work on the cosmetics, should keep me busy over the next winter