BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Buckshot1
Buckshot1
Diamond Springs, Kalifornia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (AML), 265 guests, and 423 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 82
Triless 80
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
709,902 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,303
Posts664,967
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BSA A65 Lightning 1970 oil in frame rebuild #395155
09/19/11 8:28 pm
09/19/11 8:28 pm
Switzerland
G
GBinCH Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GBinCH  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Switzerland
Hi Y'all,
so after many cold nights through winter and sweaty days in summer I finally have it all back together and running.

Here are some photos of how it looked when it arrived as an american import at my house in Switzerland.
This is definitely not an original paint scheme, looks like the last owner crashed on the left side, there is a nice dent in the primary chain cover where the footrest hit and a bent clutch lever. Looks like he fitted replacement instruments and a tank and likely other parts. Probably why it now has the export tank for the later Triumph Bonneville and the graphics for a 1978 ish Bonneville. Doesn't look so bad though and I will fix the cosmetics after I get it rebuilt and registered here in Switzerland.

another angle

and from the other side

So far, not so bad, but as you get under the skin you can see there are marks of age
[img][IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa6b.jpg[/img]

It wasn't in too bad shape but the more I investigated I found more rust and neglect not surprising for a bike that is over 40 years old.
First thing I did was too see if the motor turned over, it did, so I changed the oil and then started work on the carbs. They were pretty horrible on the inside and got to live in my sonicater bath in acetone for a few hours and then were given a good clean out. I polished up the slides on my polishing machine and gave the carb body inside a good once over with 1200 wet and dry. Ended up with freely moving slides. Then I put it all together and refitted both carbs to the bike, rigged up a petrol reservoir out of a water bottle, fitted a battery, and cleaned the plugs. Started up after the tenth kick! Awesome! I took it for a ride up and down the street to check the clutch (took some freeing off) and gearbox - the gears were all in there and selected nicely.

Decision time, frame dove grey or black?
Decided to go for black....
So I spent about 6 weeks up to and over Xmas to disassemble it mostly in sub-zero degrees C temperatures in my garage with a small electric heater for company.
As the engine was a runner and without major mechanical sounds of impending disaster I left it alone but replaced all bearings on the cycle parts and bought new shocks and exhausts but kept the original Dunstalls with the original very noisy straight through sound!

Here are the rebuild components ready to go.
It took me up until Easter to polish up and renovate most of what you see here.

Then it took about 6 weeks of weekends and nights to put this lot back together

Swing arm bearings and new shocks in

Engine in

Battery tray and underseat components

wheels front forks fitted to get this sucker looking like a motorbike

side panels fitted to see how it looks [img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa6a.jpg[/img]

on with the handlebars and headlight fixing, still got the original fixings couldn't source yet the various rubbers for the headlight mounting from the internet..

[img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa7a.jpg[/img]

check out that nicely polished rear wheel area..
[img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa8a.jpg[/img]

The big day - refitted the fuel reservoir and battery let's get it going!
Except it didn't go. AAARGHHH !!!
Took a month of weekend fettling with the electrics, luckily I kept the old loom and laid it out on a board to check out the new one. But didn't discover the trick til I read the trouble shooting guide for Boyer Bransden - had the ignition wired backwards... mea culpa.
IT RUNS !!!
[img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa9a.jpg[/img]

Here is the completed rebuild ready to go to the licensing authorities once I have the front mudguard and a stand fitted
[img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/GbinCH/bsa10a.jpg[/img]

Once that is done I will start work on the cosmetics, should keep me busy over the next winter

Best
GBinCH bigt pint beerchug

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: BSA A65 Lightning 1970 oil in frame rebuild [Re: GBinCH] #395230
09/20/11 5:55 am
09/20/11 5:55 am
Gnashville
DavidP Offline

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Hi Y'all?
Must be southern Switzerland.

Good job, but OIF is either 71 or 72.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V yet to be named
Re: BSA A65 Lightning 1970 oil in frame rebuild [Re: ] #395422
09/21/11 9:52 am
09/21/11 9:52 am
Switzerland
G
GBinCH Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GBinCH  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Switzerland
Hi Allan,
The frame number is BE01897A65. you are right it is 1971 now I read it properly, I got hung up on the 'E' standing for August 1970 to July 1971' forgetting the 'B' stands for February so it has to be 1971.
Thanks for that
Best
G

Re: BSA A65 Lightning 1970 oil in frame rebuild [Re: GBinCH] #395462
09/21/11 3:29 pm
09/21/11 3:29 pm
Gnashville
DavidP Offline

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
G
Yours was made a month before my 71 (CE.)
The model years start in August.
Happy to hear you got it running.
I hope you got the correct wiring harness. The 71-72 is different from the earlier ones. There is a separate section for the headlight wiring.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V yet to be named
Re: BSA A65 Lightning 1970 oil in frame rebuild [Re: DavidP] #395502
09/21/11 6:50 pm
09/21/11 6:50 pm
Switzerland
G
GBinCH Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GBinCH  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Switzerland
Hi
Don't talk about wiring! You are right the headlamp wiring was a nightmare especially as this was a us import with daytime I.e. Always on lights. Maybe I am stupid but this wasn't covered in any of the manuals I had. Took me and Maddog about 4 weeks to sort out... And he is supposed to know about electrics having worked on Harriers in the Falklands
Best
G

Re: BSA A65 Lightning 1970 oil in frame rebuild [Re: GBinCH] #751616
10/05/18 1:22 pm
10/05/18 1:22 pm
UK
M
mcadventure Offline
BritBike Forum member
mcadventure  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

UK
Hi GBinCH
I know this is an old post so not sure if you’re still monitoring it. In case you are can it was great to see the rebuild process as I’m just about to start in the same journey. Can you share what tyres and sizes you used as they looo good on your finished bike?
Thanks
mcadventure

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership