BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
SmoothPierre
SmoothPierre
South Lincolnshire, UK
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Amal question
Simonofsweden #372191 05/08/11 10:39 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Oh well, what d'ya know. Cleaned out the clogged pilot circuit on the side that was running just fine and now both cylinders works impeccable!
I will never really under stand this (see my previous post for details) but who gives a flying f**k!
My triumph works just great. Went for a ride around town and out on the highway and it's the best felling I've had for quite some time.

Interesting detail is that the sleeved throttle has much less airleak than the original AMAL. I had to go way beyond the standard 1 1/2 turn (360°+180° to avoid all confusion regarding how much is a turn. Which has been upp for debate elsewhere I've noticed) in order to get it to fire properly and not choke at idle. Think it is running a bit rich over all. will fix that eventually.
Tonight I'm just happy it wörks!

Will post a picture or two of my beloved bike on my flickr for anyone who is interested.

Good night!

/s

Last edited by Simonofsweden; 05/09/11 7:43 am.

I make misstakes on a daily basis!
Behold a selection of my different means of transportation (very poorly updated these days...) http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/sets/
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Simonofsweden #372200 05/08/11 11:59 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great, good going!!! - It isn't brain surgery just boring details!!
John

Simonofsweden #372270 05/09/11 2:26 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
and btw.
I´ve had trouble finding the drill bit #78 too.
It´s a metric 0,4 mm, found in hobby shops.
Good to have one lying around, even though the bike runs great now.
I´m still waiting for my damn drill bit in the mail:(

Run `em...
1969 T120
Ducknaldo #372271 05/09/11 2:34 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ducknaldo
and btw.
Good to have one lying around, even though the bike runs great now.

Runs great is overstating it a bit. Still needs som sorting out such as re-jetting and other adjustments.
But hey it runs!

/simon

Behold a selection of my different means of transportation (very poorly updated these days...) http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/sets/
Simonofsweden #376734 06/02/11 8:18 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey y'all (as I learned to say while living i southern Alabama)

Thought I'd give you a rather funny update:

As stated earlier my bonneville was after I sorted out som major issues (thoroughly described above) still as I put it "running a bit rich". Up on further inspection it turned out this was perhaps understating it a bit. I appears my Concentrics are made sometime 68-70...
Yes you guess it right! there was nothing but an open hole where I thought it had a pressed in pilot jet.
"running a bit rich" -ya think?

Learning as I go along I now know one more thing to check and make sure next time I try and set up a pair of Concentrics.

Hope you all got a good laugh on my behalf out of this little story!

all the best to you all!
/simon

Last edited by Simonofsweden; 06/02/11 8:22 am.

Simonofsweden #376737 06/02/11 9:01 am
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Now that you have pilot jets,I hope you have the right needle,needle-jet and jet holder instead of the '68 items.

Pete R - R.I.P. #376739 06/02/11 9:16 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Pete R
Now that you have pilot jets,I hope you have the right needle,needle-jet and jet holder instead of the '68 items.

Think so they have all been mounted on an empty housing most of the parts bought new. But never be to sure...
I make misstakes on a daily basis...

/simon

Simonofsweden #376774 06/02/11 3:45 pm
hh Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Back in '91, I sent a L/R pair of AMAL 626s off to be sleeved, not knowing about the internal idle jets on the '68 and later carbs. I spent years trying to tune these things on my Daytona 500 and never got rid of the stumble just over idle.

Thanks to this forum, I learned about the internal idle jet and discovered that only one of mine had it. Although I had the external idle jets in both carbs, on a Daytona, the bike just won't run right without the internal one. The Daytona is the reason they went to the internal idle jet.

I'm rather disappointed that the person that sleeved the carbs didn't point out the problem when he resleeved them.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
hh #377681 06/07/11 7:17 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by hh
I'm rather disappointed that the person that sleeved the carbs didn't point out the problem when he resleeved them.

I can understand your disappointment. In my case though I must say in the defense of the re-sleever that he was asked to do a job and he did. In the most beatiful way for that matter.

I sent him the bare carb-bodys and sleeves and there would be no reason for him to even look at my idle-jetting. He probably was of the faulty impression that I knew a thing or two about Triumphs...

I never met the guy just spoke to him breifly on the phone and sent the carbs to him. A week later they came back.
Also the recommendation came through a very skilled triumph-mecanic and the re-sleever had no way of knowing the level of my (in-)competence.

/s

Simonofsweden #377682 06/07/11 7:24 pm
hh Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
At the time of my refurbishment, the service included truing the bodies, milling the float surface and cleaning, so having received a purported "matched L-R pair," I would have expected him to point out the obvious problem (at least to someone intimately familiar with the carbs.)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership