BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Bobster
Bobster
Seattle, Washington
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson, bikerboy
11023 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
koan58 68
DavidP 64
Rohan 51
Popular Topics(Views)
1,150,777 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,980
Posts691,293
Members11,023
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
49 registered members (Beach), 1,597 guests, and 983 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Speedometer/Tachometer flutter #360186 02/26/11 1:18 pm
MexicoMike Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Is this just standard for the Smiths instruments? I seem to recall my original 71 commando did the same thing. I have lubed the cables with engine oil but it doesn't seem to make any difference either way. Is there such a thing as a non-fluttering oem tach/speedo? If so, what's the trick?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #360200 02/26/11 2:42 pm
B
bmwr90s Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Mike, I had the same problems with my tach and speedo. I found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoTkZGleYbM

I bought the book and after the repairs the tach is steady as a rock but I was unsuccessful with the speedo repair.

Art

Last edited by bmwr90s; 02/26/11 2:42 pm.

1969 XLH
1973 Norton Commando
1991 FLHTC W/SIDECAR
Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #360205 02/26/11 3:07 pm
old-grizz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mike - had the same problem with my 72; tried the fix but was totally unsuccessful. Managed to ham-fist everything so badly that I finally boxed up the pieces and sent them to a rebuilder. Rebuilder sent me a new unit ( or at least a rebuilt unit - not MY unit ) that was no better than what I started with . . and I was out $200 plus.

Note that if you do-it-yourself, no matter how careful you are, the bezel shows signs of a forced entry - take a look at the video and you will see the "tool marks" on the bezel following removal and still there after re-installation.

IF it were mine to do over again, I think I would just live with the wavering needle. Mine was + or - about 5 mph; like you, I tried all sorts of lube tricks, trim/square the drive ends . . . all for naught. I must therefore assume that, in Olde Englande, if you were within 5 or 10 of what you thought was right and good, the Crown would accept it.

Hope someone comes through in the forum with a good, quick, cheap, easy, DIY fix, though. Like you, I am troubled by the approximations of speed and rpm.

-O.G.

Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: old-grizz] #360228 02/26/11 6:15 pm
C
charliechan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Doesn't it have something to do with the inner cable not being seated into the drive and/or tach speedo correctly or being to long?

Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #360741 03/01/11 7:01 pm
HawaiianTiger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Even the slightest kink in the inner cable will cause that. So, rebuilding your instrument may not solve the problem.
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #360768 03/01/11 9:00 pm
MexicoMike Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I pulled the speedo cable out of the sheath- cleaned the cable and the sheath and lubricated same. THere are no kinks in the cable run. Put it back together and it did the same as before - a 5MPH flutter. Re the tach- I couldn't pull the cable out of the sheath since it has fittings crimped on both ends but I pressurized solvent and then lube through it and refitted it. It has the same "5MPH" flutter (movement wise) as the speedo.

It's not really that bad but it would be cool to have them not fluttering at all. Since they (tach/speedo) both flutter the same amount, I figure it's an instrument thing, not a cable thing. But I'm no expert and could easily be wrong about that.

Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #360819 03/02/11 2:01 am
aceaceca Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I went thru this with a car speedo when I made up the inner cable by cutting the cable and soldering the drive square on the end. If the drive square has any wobble in it in relation to the cable you will get speedo flutter. My two cents worth.

Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #360967 03/03/11 12:26 am
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
MexicoMike-take a look at this thread. I bought the book and posted my repair experiences there. It really is a simple device. In fact, Graham, the author of the book, even chimed in! My speedometer was fluttering about 20 mph, so I had a much bigger problem. As old-grizz pointed out, your bezel will show signs of forced entry, but it didn't matter to me since this is hidden inside the rubber speedometer/tachometer cups.

For the cables, I removed the inner from the outer and sprayed it down with lithium grease. Since we use it on our work boats all the time, it was readily available and seems to do the trick!

Josh
Re: Speedometer/Tachometer flutter [Re: MexicoMike] #361141 03/03/11 11:27 pm
D
DogT Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
You can test the clock with an electric drill to see if the problem is the clock or the cable. Reverse speed I think. I think most of the problems are the cables, unless of course there is a lot of age or mileage on the clock. Or it has been left in the elements too long.

Dave
69S

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership