BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
GaryK227
GaryK227
Randolph, NJ
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 173
reverb 63
NickL 57
DavidP 56
Popular Topics(Views)
1,005,604 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,736
Posts679,881
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 320 guests, and 693 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I will soon be a free agent. #355985 02/01/11 3:04 pm
G
George Elston Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Not to bring anyone down or anything but I just ( unofficially) picked my retirement date. How does 86 days sound to you all ? beerchug

Sounds pretty freakin good to me. 45 years went by like ..errrr ummmm..... 45 years.
Anyone else bailing from the daily grind in the near future.

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #355988 02/01/11 3:38 pm
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Congrats George! I take it you picked the date, not your boss (You're fired!)! I've got at least another half decade to go. I'm sure it will go by like..er ummm.. a half decade.
Take care, enjoy. Al.

Al Eckstadt
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #355993 02/01/11 3:50 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by George Elston
Not to bring anyone down or anything but I just ( unofficially) picked my retirement date. How does 86 days sound to you all ? beerchug

Sounds pretty freakin good to me. 45 years went by like ..errrr ummmm..... 45 years.

George -

LOTS of us in that position, trying to decide when to pull the trigger.

I like having money to spend on things, but I also like having time to spend ... the 9 months that I spent "between jobs" in 2006-2007 was spent mostly on the road riding old motorcycles.

I COULD retire now, if I wanted to cut WAY back on what I spend, AND find a group health plan that would take me, which ain't easy.

Or I COULD work another 8-1/2 years till I'm 65, and retire with an income that's close to what I make today, along with a health plan.

But who knows how much time I'd have after that? Maybe the best years of my life would be the ones between age 57 and 65, and I'd be better off retired and doing what I want?

It's a real question, and I'll be evaluating it every month to see "Is it time?"

I know this ... EVERY person who ever retired early that I've talked to in my life has said DON'T WAIT! DO IT NOW!

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #355995 02/01/11 3:52 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Good on yer George!
Retire in your time, when YOU are ready & give the world the finger
86 days sounds good, the end of April and the start of decent weather.
Retirement is a wonderful thing in fact I enjoyed it so much I've now done it 3 times laughing clap beerchug

Originally Posted by Lannis
George -

I like having money to spend on things, but I also like having time to spend ... the 9 months that I spent "between jobs" in 2006-2007 was spent mostly on the road riding old motorcycles.

I COULD retire now, if I wanted to cut WAY back on what I spend, AND find a group health plan that would take me, which ain't easy.

Or I COULD work another 8-1/2 years till I'm 65, and retire with an income that's close to what I make today, along with a health plan.

But who knows how much time I'd have after that? Maybe the best years of my life would be the ones between age 57 and 65, and I'd be better off retired and doing what I want?
I know this ... EVERY person who ever retired early that I've talked to in my life has said DON'T WAIT! DO IT NOW!

Lannis

Lannis, you know my story but for the sake of others I will repeat a little of it.
In 1997 rather than completely burn out I stuck two fingers up to the world and without another job to go to I just quit one day, said f*** it I've had enough. Did some sort of work for 3 years, moved back to my home territory, a less expensive and better environment, with a little money. The result was amazing, we got a life, our daughter came with us & got a husband, through them we got a beautiful grandaughter. OK so I worked as & when, then spent the money travelling, met some wonderful people, had a ball.
If I had stayed where I was to age 65 NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.
I would not be here rattling keys on BritBike with friends in faraway places, there are many things I would not have or be doing maybe including breathing!
Regrets? No not really

Last edited by beezabryan1; 02/01/11 4:16 pm.

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: Lannis] #355999 02/01/11 4:16 pm
G
George Elston Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Originally Posted by Lannis

George -

It's a real question, and I'll be evaluating it every month to see "Is it time?"

Lannis

Well there's the rub isn't it. Wait until you're fully funded and not have time to enjoy or skate early and cut some corners. I'm fortunate that I can collect early SS a few months after retirement so will be bringing in OK $$.
The old saw is that you spend less when you retire. We shall see.

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356002 02/01/11 4:32 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The old saw is that you spend less when you retire. We shall see.

'tain't necessarily so George which is why I sold myself for extra $s/s.
Had I have waited to 65 I would have been considerable better off financially but in no other way.

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356026 02/01/11 7:20 pm
Mar1doc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I've still got 10 years to go to be 65 but 3 years ago I brought a cheaper house to reduce my mortgage and took a stress free, unskilled, part time job. Yes money is very tight but I have never felt better in my life, 27 years on the Ambulance Service working all the hours I could get on shifts that covered 24/7.
Now I get every night in my bed, get up at the same time every day, eat proper meals at regular times. Might sound boring to some, it would of done to me 25 years ago (I hated routine) but I am loving it.

Don't stop completely! you must keep doing something, part time is best, I have seen to many people just stop working only to keel over in 2 - 3 years, even if it's just a bit of charity work , you need a purpose in life (apart from your bikes)

Martyn

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356035 02/01/11 7:54 pm
Kent Shaun Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
George lad, 86 DAYS shocked BLIMEY lad, I've got FIFTEEN YEARS mad

Enjoy your retirement lad, doing what you want WHEN you want, but remember to post the pictures on here, so US workers, can sit here and count the hours, till we're FREE wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: Kent Shaun] #356056 02/01/11 10:07 pm
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Well,
I have at least 12 years to go, to get to 66 years and 4 months.... IF the retirement age doesn't advance any more....?

I've been 'unskilled' labour forever. So I don't make "much"... So how come I have 26 bikes, in various degrees of working order, 3 of my own cars, all working quite well, and the wif's car [newest]?

I go to all the swap meets I care to. [ But, the desire to travel to far away meets IS decreasing, dagnabbit! ]
Heck, I could go to all the old car swaps and shows also, if I wished...

Oops, ramble button on...

Anyways, may ALL of us get to the point of retiring successfully, and living well enough to enjoy it for awhile!
Brett

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356065 02/01/11 10:53 pm
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I think my countdown clock is reading 183 days until I can "officially" retire. BUT, at this point I don't think I can actually do it. frown Kids still need help (aren't THEY supposed to helping ME about now?). Property values are in the tank so can't sell assets. frown

Got the feeling it will be best to keep at it until the economy recovers, at least a bit, and I can cut the cord on dependents. Good thing is the job is still interesting and keeps me engaged.

But if you can do it, good on ya! Have a ball! grin

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356067 02/01/11 11:09 pm
wadeschields Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Congrats George ! Maybe you'll have time to pick up the Royal Enfield frame now laughing
beerchug I think beers are in order then

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356068 02/01/11 11:24 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I just did the math. It seems I should be able to retire about eight days after I'm dead.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: Jim Hultman] #356111 02/02/11 3:25 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Jim Hultman
frown Kids still need help (aren't THEY supposed to helping ME about now?). grin

I think you'll find that they don't really "need" help ... it's amazing how motivated people can get if they realize that they'll get hungry if they don't get out and hustle a living .... !

If you don't let 'em go, they'll NEVER learn to fly ....

Lannis

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: Mar1doc] #356112 02/02/11 3:28 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Mar1doc

Don't stop completely! you must keep doing something, part time is best, I have seen to many people just stop working only to keel over in 2 - 3 years, even if it's just a bit of charity work , you need a purpose in life (apart from your bikes)

Martyn

That stress-free part and the downsize house sounds like good sound advice!

But don't worry about me "just stopping" and keeling over from boredom after 2 or 3 years! I've got a list of "things to do" that I couldn't work my way through if I lived to be 185 ... ! I've seen guys that retire from their career and just sit in a chair till they die. Can you see US doing that? In a world full of old bikes to ride and fettle?

Lannis

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356141 02/02/11 10:46 am
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G

Enjoy George.

Since a few months I receive a monthly sum from the national merchant marine pension fund, for ten years at sea.
They pay out when you... well... earlier than shore job funds.
But I like my work and the freedom I have to carry it out, so when the real pension age comes,
another five years from now I think I will hesitate to stop.
I did cut back to a 36 hour week though, and work 5 days one week and 4 the other week.

Ger B

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356150 02/02/11 1:27 pm
Dick Harris Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm on the other end of the retirement thing,been retired for eighteen years.Get out as soon as possible to get aclimated to a new and different lifestyle. I've seen people who felt it was a "badge of honor" to work until they're 75 or so,(even when it was unnecessay moneywise), croak in less than a year.I used to tell my boss that "the only reason I work here is to finance my hobby's". Well,anyway,the result is that I have been having a ball doing the things that I want, and love,mostly building and riding my old Triumphs. The good "Lord" has been good to me healthwise so I am able to work on the bikes everyday for a few hours.I am looking forward to being able to ride one of my bikes to the twentieth TIOC rally in York PA.when I'm eighty. Looking forward to seeing you all there. Dick

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: Dick Harris] #356156 02/02/11 2:11 pm
S
Skeet Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Super attitude Dick. That's what we like to hear. :bigt

I'm in a similar situation. Never dreamed I would hang it up from my job. Really enjoyed it. Then they offered me an early retirement package. I mentioned this to at least 3 bean counters and they all concurred. Go for it. Am I glad I did. I certainly don't have any excess of funds but manage to do just fine. Even bought a couple of wrecked bikes to keep busy. Damned near bought another wooden boat the other day. What I have found was the old saying "wheres there's a will there's a way". Unbelievable freedom.

Start buying up all kinds of spares for those Enfields while you can and don't look back. Best of luck to you.
Skeet

Last edited by Skeet; 02/02/11 2:11 pm.

Skeet Enjoy life....it has an expiration date..
1964 Hornet
1970 TR6R
1971 Norton
1972 XLH
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: Skeet] #356178 02/02/11 4:10 pm
debby Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Congrats on the upcoming retirement, George! Sounds great.

It's going to be another 8-10 years for me, or whenever the next layoff comes, whichever occurs first. Elderly software engineers are not exactly in demand these days...

back to lurking,
Debby

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: debby] #356188 02/02/11 5:01 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by debby
Congrats on the upcoming retirement, George! Sounds great.

It's going to be another 8-10 years for me, or whenever the next layoff comes, whichever occurs first. Elderly software engineers are not exactly in demand these days...

back to lurking,
Debby

Depends on what they can do ... When I ran an IT department, we had some folks whose plan was to ride the old technology as far as it would go. They were VERY valuable WITHIN a certain context ... whether it was old mainframe databases, CA enterprise suites, COBOL coding, or other systems that we had to maintain because we couldn't afford to replace them yet. BUT when the system was replaced, the experts on those systems needed to make sure that they were ready to retire (and that worked great for some of them) OR that they had a year or two to retrain and remake themselves - some "weren't going to be in the Army long enough, Sarge" and had a hard time stretching to retirement.

In the right place and time, software and database experts are much in demand ....

Lannis

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356198 02/02/11 5:26 pm
HARRYKUK Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi George, downsize the house, upsize the garage/shed!
Work is only sell;ing the Hours of your life to others!

Best wishes for the future

HarryK

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: HARRYKUK] #356201 02/02/11 5:37 pm
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Elderly software engineers are not exactly in demand these days...

I prefer the elderly ones who take the time to explain something to me, over the younger ones who fly into my office, push a few buttons and whirlwind out again without checking what they did and without asking me if I understood what they showed me. He11 they did'n show anything but a cloud of dust.

Ger B

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: HARRYKUK] #356202 02/02/11 5:37 pm
Geoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Congratulations George on your freedom. Maybe you can swing by Saratoga on one of those fancy RE's for a pint or two this spring - (June.?. :D).

Anyways - I think the guys who keel over are the ones that have let their jobs define who they are - which I think the for the vast majority of the blokes on here that would definitely not be the case.

'78 T140V
'74 Commando
'69 TR6R
'67 Starfire
'64 Greeves TES
'58 Allstate (Puch) 175
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356207 02/02/11 5:56 pm
enigmaT120 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I have about 8 years, 8 months to go, if I want a regular income in retirement. I haven't figured a legal way to support myself off my 32 acres of forest land (not mature forest yet) so I'm stuck for a while.

Ed
1970 Bonneville
Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356212 02/02/11 6:11 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
you lucky dog! cheers my man. beerchug

of course it didn't get here without a lifetime of ass busting dedication to your particular gig. so cheers again for THAT.
beerchug

i'm looking at 10 years or less, i'd guess. dunno know if i can really keep doing what i'm doing now all that time, tho. the weird schedule MIGHT kill either me OR Cynthia! not certain which, of the two of us, will be the first to drop over from my work... laughing

retirement?
damn, i can only dream of it right this minute.
and a boy CAN dream if nowt else, yes?

best of luck George.
see ya this summer.
Tom

Last edited by ricochetrider; 02/02/11 6:21 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: I will soon be a free agent. [Re: George Elston] #356214 02/02/11 6:39 pm
Roadwarrior Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Congrats George! I'm kinda in the Lannis boat on retiring. I could retire now at 62, but, my job is a nice ride with 50 days off a year, and a 9-4 pm workday. So, why retire, I am half retired now. Besides riding old bikes, my other love, beside my wife, is travelling. We go to Europe or Asia yearly, and that is expensive. Now on the downsizing. We did something unusual with our home mortgage. We have a home equity line of credit at a rate of -3/4% below prime rate. When we looked at refinancing the home loan, I bought the house with the line of credit, and have a rate of 2.49%. Now, it is variable, but will always be 3/4% below prime rate. We cut the payment in half, and are putting much more off the balance each month than we ever did.

Last edited by Roadwarrior; 02/02/11 8:29 pm.

Bob M.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership