BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
tombeau
tombeau
Finland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
BMac, clive1, Dan87GT, B. Nicholson, AndrewQ
10941 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 102
franko 83
DavidP 64
Popular Topics(Views)
1,067,444 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,273
Posts685,000
Members10,941
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
91 registered members (Alexp), 1,173 guests, and 869 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: bsanorton] #323072 07/15/10 8:12 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSAN .. The first thin I noticed as you said yourself.. the rod does not protrude out far . mine is as you suggest ~ extended much further. I agree John's comments could be the answer ~

As for mine.. if you look at the U tube video . i have a (Kawasaki) 5 stage 'collapsible' lever. After some thought I figured my problem lay with the adjustment therein.

I was dead right as the lever will not give me adequate purchase beyond 1 &2 ~

On this range (1-2) the clutch works perfectly.. so mine at least is resolved ~

Good luck with yours....keep us posted.

ABSTINENCE;" He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bike. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me. "
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: John Healy] #323130 07/15/10 5:30 pm
S
Stuart Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Hi,

Originally Posted by John Healy
the recommended .005" clearance

That's too big also, most long-time triple owners (me included) use something much smaller.

I don't measure; I just ensure that, when everything's adjusted, I can still turn the big nut by hand. Nevertheless, if you feel you must measure, go for about .002".

The Big D modification, which rotates the inner steel plate with the indents for the balls, requires you grinding a new half moon groove for the locating pin.

That's one mod. (and not just a Big D one) but there's nothing to stop you adjusting the lift mechanism even if it isn't sitting on the cast lug at about four o' clock; the balls will just be further up the grooves when you do.

Btw, are you adjusting the lift mechanism with the cable disconnected from the handlebar lever (unfortunately, I can't watch the video - steam-powered computer wink )? If so, again, not the way most long-time triple owners do it.

Having been shown the method many years ago by a 100,000-miles from new triple owner, I adjust the lift mechanism with the cable connected and the adjuster about 1/3- to 1/2-way along its travel - on its own this might move the lift mechanism off the cast lug. Then, when you've finished adjusting at the chaincase, you can fine-adjust either way during the subsequent roadtest using the handlebar adjuster.

Also, with a bit of either-way adjustment at the handlebar lever, you can adjust for road conditions - some stop-start riding, clutch starts to drag, couple of twists of the adjuster to stop it dragging; out on the open road again, couple of twists the other way and the adjustment is back to where it was. :bigt

The outer steel housing of the Trident clutch cable MUST not compress under load.

I've used Venhill cables since the original factory spares stopped being available - never had a problem. Btw, at the risk of telling you something you know already, the triple clutch cable was always nylon-lined (which is why I started using Venhill, they didn't make anything else). For some years, Venhill have also offered stainless wire inner, teflon-lined cables; very nice they are too and not much more expensive than the nylon-lined. :bigt

Hth.

Regards,

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: bsanorton] #323176 07/15/10 8:53 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
John has summarized the modification well. The plate is an interference fit. The easiest way to remove it it to place the inner cover in the oven to heat it.
Not really something you do unless you have the cover off for some reason.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: DavidP] #323731 07/19/10 12:45 pm
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I had another issue arise since putting the first ride and my Video U-tube clip..

The new Viking Headers slightly blued on 2 & 3 pipes. I was NOT impressed and extremely concerned as the Big Bore pipes are not cheap ..

Long story short ~ I checked the plugs and if anything they are rich ~

So in short I believe that the new headers have not yet had a film of carbon deposits laid down, and the biggest issue is that I have neglected to put the pedestal fan in front of the bike when I ran for extended periods.. even as in the video.

So I have polished the offending pipes and will see how it goes before I start swapping carb sets or stripping down yet again !!

ABSTINENCE;" He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bike. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me. "
Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #323850 07/20/10 2:33 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
FWIW: In over 16 years owning a Trident I never had an exhaust manifold remain pretty. I've seen the things glow red for the first minute after starting.
I always coated the inside of a new one with high-temp paint. I've heard there's some sort of ceramic coating available, but never used it.
However, I never used anything but the stock exhaust on mine.

As for the plugs, mine always came out a bit black except for main-jet chops. I think they probably went a bit rich to keep the heat in check.
Or, maybe I just didn't ride fast enough?

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: DavidP] #323888 07/20/10 11:29 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave

I am hoping gas flowing the head will relieve some of the issues ~

One of 'our Ozzie' triples group that lives south of me in Brisbane played around with a heat shield between his headers and the oil cooler and had very positive results.

IHO ~ the oil cooler in Ozzie is really a Oil heater and if you look carefully at mien you can see the SS shield I have added ~ This may prove effective regarding oil temps but doubt if will resolve any header issues..

I will monitor and see what happens..

The Commando eventually went blue and off but that took some years.. To be pedantic the Commando pipes need replacing now..but ~

Back at the Trident, the RH 1 & 2 are in good shape so I will have to watch it as I clock up some miles eh !?

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #324164 07/22/10 5:08 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Back to the clutch.
Be absolutely certain that the pull rod is centered in the bearing.
It's been a while, but I seem to remember that the pull rod needs to be kept under slight tension the whole time you're installing the clutch. Just pull out with one hand while you're putting the clutch in place.
The rod can get just a bit skewed and not present enough threads for proper adjustment. Usually this only results in a loud clack as the rod centers when you tighten everything, or pull the clutch handle the first time. But, sometimes the rod hangs on the bearing.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: DavidP] #325532 07/30/10 12:37 pm
P
ProTouring442 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Beautiful!!!

What handlebar switchgear are you utilizing?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: ProTouring442] #325656 07/31/10 4:09 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pro -T ~

lol ~ Just to keep the machine in at least a modicum of OEM . I used Triumph (Hinckley) Sprint ~ Not too hard at all...

(The wiring diagram is bordering on hieroglyphic though..lol )

The hand grips are also from a Triumph Sprint ~

As for the rest of the handle bar ~ the brake is Suzuki GXS F, the LH / clutch is a Kawasaki ~ Still trying to find a 'carbon fibre' look for clutch lever , and match the front brake lever ~

Another issue arose as well when I fitted the Speedo cable, the T160 cable (Venhill) has a hex abutment and this fouls on the rear disc studs.

So I had to revert to the new T150 cable.. the rear is fine butt he cable is a tad too short ~

So I dropped the instruments approx 30 mm lower . again no dramas there ~ While it is much better the cable is still a tad taut on the full LH lock .

But as a result the instruments are lower and look much better in profile ~

Before ~

[Linked Image]

After

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stuart SS; 07/31/10 4:29 am.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #325735 07/31/10 4:51 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm using the left switchgear off a mid 90's Triumph Sprint(?) on my 74 T150. The wiring diagram I found didn't seem to match what I had so I dissected the switch to see what was what. It's all wired up now and working fine.
Your bike looks and sounds great. I can't wait until I'm that far along.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: shel] #328715 08/18/10 6:15 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Well ~ I was rather put back when I saw the date I posted the U Tube clip on my 'first day out' ..Been a month, certainly vouches for the issue of work routines and other distractions.

So this week I was determined that I would get the first torque down service and dump original 30/ 50 Valvoline fire up oil ~

Finally got it all done today ~ plus more outstanding issues ~
The four outer head nuts were surprisingly backed off. And tappets a little on loose side but all reset ~

Have some concerns as the oil pressure has dropped from 100PSI on start up and the Warm up pressure was running at <55 plus>

Spoke at length with Gary W at TT Restorations, so we will see how it responds now I serviced the engine ~

Hoping to get the road worthy by Friday~ as I have been asked to go to a static rally on Saturday.

Last edited by Stuart SS; 08/18/10 6:16 am.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #329064 08/20/10 3:40 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
A bit of an update

Lots of sorting and revamping..

Went for the first decent ride today ~ about 45 kms ~ plan was to get the road worthy for it and that involves riding to the next town where there are couple of qualified spanners . (And yes I do have a CTP !)

But ran into some issues ~

First~ spewing oil all over the carbs and rear block.... (think it was coming from the Inlet rocker oil feed.. so I removed the copper washers and fitted more substantial washer.. and tempered both before fitting and torquing to recommended setting of 22 Lbs ~)

Second the Clutch is a right plik and of course gear changing was not a happy event ~ adjustment is an art .. ( but I seemed to have sorted that now ~ or is that again !!)

Third ~ As I was going steady ~ a B double started to harangue me.. so i opted the game ~ opening the throttle big time ~ and the throttle stuck open ~

So I stopped and noted the indicators.. the Linkage was down so the problem lay with the slides ~ I sorted that ~ But will have to look further into that one ~

In fact I have a T160 set and will finish those off and fit them ~

Overall ~ Suspension firm and ride solid.. the way I like it ~

The brakes front and rear work superbly ~ Handling is positive and sharp ~ Seat rebuild is great ~

BUT the BIG ONE ~ That exhaust even inside my helmet is SUUEE &^^*( PERB~ What beautiful sound ~ !!!

Still no video as I am working nights and M works days so I have been playing by myself ~ But should be this week end ~

Last edited by Stuart SS; 08/20/10 3:41 am.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #330375 08/28/10 11:40 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Cracked into the rocker boxes, and got the job done..

Only have to finish off now ~ established the #3 carb is running rich so will endeavour to sort before I refit carbs and retest ~

[Linked Image]

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #332110 09/06/10 10:40 pm
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
OKAY ~ who did ~ realise the front tyre was on back to front!

Oh Everyone . but no one wanted to say so .. Never mind resolved now.. FOC ~

Rockers back on and carbs overhauled, floats rechecked, needle settings altered etc. The #3 was running rich and the performance was not quite right on the road..

All to be expected after all I started with this .. 5 years ago ~

[Linked Image]

Hope to do a test flight again today . then off for the road worthy ~

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #333631 09/15/10 10:25 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #341028 11/02/10 8:31 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Some test riding snaps ~

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #344912 11/24/10 9:54 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Well ~ FINALLY ~ after several weeks of screwing around .. being screwed around and miss-informed, consultations and debate ~

On what started out as a very rainy morning I headed out to get the Trident finally checked by officialdom for a road worthy ticket ~

Long story shorter, the mechanics were more nervous about it all than the final home straight at the RTA/ DR&T office ~

The "spanner inspectors" reckoned I would be up for all sorts of dramas as it was never registered previously in QLD ~ I was a bundle of nerves by the tiem I pulled the biek up at the QLD Gov motor registry office!!

But the girl simply corrected my 'pre-armed' details by stating that as long as the paper work was in order they happy as the machine was manufactured prior to June 1976 when VIN plates were introduced in Australia ~

And most have heard of some real terror tales of folks trying to run the gauntlet of the roads and transports departments ~

I guess I can give thanks in that I had a GOOD hair day!!

SO NOW I am road legal ~ and have already sorted a few minor tweak and tune issues since returning to base with a new number plate in hand !!

TIME TO PARTEEE!!!

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #345106 11/25/10 4:12 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It's a great feeling isn't Stuart?
I started mine for the first time last Sunday but since I'm nursing a pair of broken ribs I'm not able to ride it.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #345195 11/26/10 6:58 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shel

I hope you did not break the ribs working on the bike !!

At least the Triples are a lot less effort to spin over than the Commando ~

( I had lot of issues several years back with the Commando ~ turned out to be a internally corroded low tension lead to the points housing/ pick up ~ and I put my back out continually kicking it over, trying to get it to start ~ !! Very uncomfortable! )

Worse still.. I am on the last few days of my Hols, and chaffing at the bit to get on the road but I was very lucky to get the thing registered as the skies have opened up consistently ever since ~ and as I speak it is pouring.. Guess that's life in the Tropics.. The Wet season has set in for sure..
Actually seen it rain non stop for 3-4 months !!!

Last edited by Stuart SS; 11/26/10 7:02 am.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #349745 12/24/10 7:02 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ok ~ Post road worthy and some 500 miles down

Last weekend ~ went out to the local classic bikers get together held each Sunday mornings at Yungaburra ~ A real hotch potch of bikes ~ old and new plus Ducati's, and a few HD. Never took a single photo~ drongo

This was the first public appearance for the new Triple ~

The Trident was highly applauded and created a LOT of interest ~ Glynn, a classics mate and moral supporter was there was with his A65 Firebird~ and added much more positive comment ~

He invited to go for short trot ~ I had to gas up and looks like I went AWOL again ..lol Missing the group ~

I turned into the first lot of bikes I came across at Tinaroo dam, and thought, "Hmm this is not the right group!!" ~ but pressed on and said Gidday ~ it turned out to be a mob from Cairns. They invited me to join their poker run .

But I then watched the original classic blokes cruise past ~ and took off after them but missed them again.. So went solo to Tolga and Atherton and back to Malanda ~ and Home ~

A good all round outing ~

Techy stuff ~
The Trident is settling in and I am getting the feel of it now and throwing it around a lot more... It started getting a little irate Sunday but I figure it is ready for a retune .

The gearbox oil issue seems fine ~ minor leak on main shaft, over fill I feel !

Still working on the centre stand ~ as the original configuration is useless~ with these muffs ~

The clutch is typically a very touchy adjustment issue ~

Typically I am revving out to 5K + which works fine for me..... Several tripler mates screw theirs regularly out to 8K !

I will order a new oil gauge soon ~

May trick the front end a little more ~

So will do some minor servicing before I take it out again ~ certainly won't be riding it this week as the Wet has set in and it has been and is chucking down the rain. predictions of up ward of 600 mm/ 24 inches !!!..lol

Remember I started with an engine in a box ~ five years ago ~

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stuart SS; 12/24/10 7:05 am.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #349808 12/24/10 4:32 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It's a beautiful bike Stuart. I'm sure it's a blast to ride.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #350591 12/31/10 9:21 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shel

I am really becoming familiar with it now and much more confident ~ I figure it would be interesting to compare to a regular or standard T150V as the Yamaha (XJ Turbo) triple tree is slightly different.

The part that I am very impressed with is the ease of starting. I figure the Tri-Spark is the catylst here ~ and I figure there is more performance to come as I play with the tune ~ But well pleased with the overall performance ~

In fact I like it more than the (850 ) Commando !!

Last edited by Stuart SS; 12/31/10 9:23 am.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #350648 12/31/10 4:21 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It's warmed up here and the snows melted. I thought I might get to ride mine for the first time today.
I went to the garage last night see if it would start, it didn't. It pops and sputters and then it starts but stall right away, almost like it isn't getting enough gas.
It is getting plenty of gas so since I haven't changed anything since it was last running I'm going to charge the battery, drain the sump and replace the gas with some fresh.
I have never had a problem with a bike not running due to old gas but so many here seem to have experienced it so it's worth a try.

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: shel] #350746 01/01/11 2:09 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shel

I have never had a problem with a bike not running due to old gas but so many here seem to have experienced it so it's worth a try.

OH yes you will ~ lol

I have been focused on getting the Trident finished through to rego plate and first serious road runs and I figured.. I had neglected the Commando . And as it was running just fine previously I cranked it up several weeks ago ~

The thing ran on one cylinder.. and then the slides started jamming !!

In the end I drained the tank ~ and removed the slides and polished them off before they were freed ~ Checked the jets were clear ~

So in short the crap they sell us now disguised as ULP does deteriorate and deposit a varnish over surfaces ~ over weeks !!

Re: T150V Trident risen from the Ashes [Re: Stuart SS] #354075 01/21/11 9:30 am
Stuart SS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ahh ~ ain't it the small things that count ~ I lost an earlier bar end weight and the chrome ones as seen on the shot up page, does not look nearly as good ~

Is this deemed as fine tweaking a project ...

Additionally I was not at all happy with the oil pressure gauge reading, as it read <55 PSI > and varied little over revs or on idle..

So I replaced the gauge and instantly .. < 100 PSI > on revs and around < 50-60 > on idle ~

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stuart SS; 01/21/11 9:36 am.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO