Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
rocketscientist
rocketscientist
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rocker Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
What`s your guys experience with engine overhauls done at SRM ?
Considering sending a couple of engines to them.

One A10 and one M21. The A10 will be a max hp for the street and M21 maybe a little hoped up from original but nothing crazy.
Staying AMAL and magneto on both btw.

Last edited by Rocker; 10/11/10 12:32 am.

1940 M21
1960 Golden Flash

"Everything takes longer time than it takes"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Years ago SRM did a great job for me - a complete overhaul of an A65 engine with all goodies. I had no reason to complain and all went quite straightforward. I drove the engine to Aberystwyth myself combining a sightseeing of their premises with a holiday in Wales. Highly recommended.

Jeff

Jeff B.
95'Ducati 900 SL
82'H***a FT500
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
There was a horror story here awhile back about somebody from continental Europe (maybe Switzerland) who had a 'classic' motor rebuilt badly by a "reputable" facility in England. I forget the details but the issues were well photographically documented and I don't remember if names were named and if so whether it was SRM. But there is one uhappy customer of a British rebuilder out there.

Last edited by LarryLebel; 10/12/10 12:07 pm.
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
There was a horror story here awhile back

AFA I remember this, the fellow complained here on the forum and not at the supplier or repair shop that he mentioned.
He was advised to complain there, and when he did everything was solved to his liking.
I posted in the thread, and tried to find it searching under posts with my name, but could not find it.

Ger B

C
CAB Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hello
I have ordered a Tagasako flanged alloy rim and two sets of spokes from SRM for my MK11 Spitfire. The service was very good, emails are answered promptly and they always phone when the parts are ready for dispatch. I have just sent a cylinder head to them for porting/new valves/guides/fin repairs etc and they have sent me an itemised list confirming all of the work and a form to be signed and returned to carry on with it. They have been very professional and helpful so far. I think that it is best to accurately list what you what done first, email it to them for confirmation and take it from there.
I will let you know how it goes with the cylinder head.
CAB

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by LarryLebel
There was a horror story here awhile back about somebody from continental Europe (maybe Switzerland) who had a 'classic' motor rebuilt badly by a "reputable" facility in England. I forget the details but the issues were well photographically documented and I don't remember if names were named and if so whether it was SRM. But there is one uhappy customer of a British rebuilder out there.

Larry
never met you and i'm sure your probably a decent guy - but if you don't remember (or know) the name of the place, and don't know who it was - then why are you posting something? Before potentially throwing dirt at someone the facts should be correct - i'm all for pointing the finger at someone who has provided a sub par service - but i can't see any merit in a "i heard some one in the UK sucks and it may of been this guy but i have no clue" - -

i have no affiliation with SRM - but have dealt with them and found them to be excellent at all levels - first hand experience speaks way more than i heard it somewhere/...

ok rant over

Last edited by Mike Carter; 10/15/10 10:32 am.

73 850 Commando
75 Ducati 750gt
78 Laverda 1200
97 Ducati 900 SS
61 BSA A10
62 Triumph T110
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Mr. Beast, the complaint was legit. Go rag on somebody else.

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
srm did wheels for me on my b33 and relined the shoes and they were excellent out of the gate.they did two a65 motors for me,the last a 750 conversion,all were excellent,as was the magneto conversion on the b33.they take a while as they they have a BACKLOG that alone should tell you something.they were personable and polite even when they were dealing with me(which is a major statement in it self)ive got to say they did well by me.they aint cheap,but what are you going to do.also its not a perfect world and people make mistakes this includes installers of rebuilt items.

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I agree with Mike.. and I also remember that thread, and I am 99.99% sure it was NOT SRM.. I am pretty sure I know what company it was, but not sure enough to name them.. no point in doing that... And even if I was sure, no reason to name them anyway.. that deal is done and over with eons ago..

Remember we are all human, and we make mistakes, the true measure of a business (or person) is what they say and do when something goes amiss... So, when a company takes the responsibility to fix a mistake and give an apology, then that is the company I would want to do business with..!!

Cheers..!!

Ron :S

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
SRM worked on my engine a long time ago and i have not had a problem with their work. Im still keen to buy their aftermarket and special products also they have always answered my emails with information and specs related to the engine even years after the work. Would i use them again YES. Bye the way i only live 11000 miles from their shop. Mark

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
ages back when they were called Devimeed (unless memory fails me again) they sent me a dud oil pump....i complained and they sent me a good replacement....so it would seem they stand by their products historicaly....and in reality im on the other side of the world so there wasnt a damm thing i could do if they hadnt.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by LarryLebel

As long as you're getting p!ssed and cussing at people you might as well unload on me too. I thought this post was out of line and was implying that SRM was involved in some sort of a scam or had ripped someone off on this list.

"Hey, wasn't there someone on this list from Canada that was involved with embezzling from his boss?" "LarryLebel's from Canada, I don't know anything specific though."

Those sort of vague accusations don't do anyone any good .....

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Guys I have done some editing and will delete this thread if things dont't stay on topic without the cussing and banter back and forth I agree the post was vague but prbably no malice was intended .. Cheers all

Mike Carter

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
FWIW - My SRM oil pump and OPRV work just fine in my 1971 A65 Thunderbolt. I have ridden the piss out of that bike in the last year doing two long distance rides - a Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 and a ride from Atlanta to Cape Cod and back. Looking forward to the TSMR in 2011.

Now if I could just keep the headlamp bulbs from burning out...

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 10/15/10 6:53 pm.
R
Rocker Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Thanks guys !
Seems there are none negative experiences wth them so far, and those kind of experiences seems to be easy for people to tell so this is quite assuring for me to read.
Keep the feedback coming, I would think this kind of information bwould be a benefit for all the users considering buying from them, whether it is parts or services. (both for me in time..)

1940 M21
1960 Golden Flash

"Everything takes longer time than it takes"

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor