BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
68triton
68triton
London Uk
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
stretch7, S Trotter, Psychopasta, Dave Shotz, myB33
10786 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
NickL 71
DavidP 60
Popular Topics(Views)
952,098 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,559
Posts676,168
Members10,786
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 289 guests, and 815 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
64 BSA B40 Clutch lever and cable is so Stiff.. #333336 09/13/10 6:53 pm
P
Peter W Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
P
So, I just put in a new clutch cable. Its so stiff that I barely can pull it. Its a 64 for the cable goes around the backside and through so it requires a bit of a bend in the cable, i used lube in the casing. etc. not sure what else to do to make it easier to pull. The clutch was put in about 2 years ago and it sat for the whole time until now. Is this something that will break in after time? my fingers are falling off. help..

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 64 BSA B40 Clutch lever and cable is so Stiff.. [Re: Peter W] #333345 09/13/10 7:39 pm
beezageezauk Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Peter,
Check to see if the clutch plates are freeing off. Have the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch lever and try the kickstarter. If the clutch plates are free the kickstart should operate without turning the engine over. If the engine turns over you will need to free the plates off. Sometimes a few sharp jabs on the kicker will work (with the clutch lever pulled in)...if not...it's a spannering job.
Also your clutch springs could have been adjusted too tightly and might need slackening off a little.
When you are happy with the clutch plates and springs you can consider the run of the cable.
Beezageezauk.

Last edited by beezageezauk; 09/13/10 7:43 pm.
Re: 64 BSA B40 Clutch lever and cable is so Stiff.. [Re: Peter W] #333368 09/13/10 9:18 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
As well as Beeza,s suggestions you should do an adjustment of the center screw and the clutch rod lever as per the manual, if not done correctly you can be left with too little movement, same issue if the clutch springs are too tight.

Re: 64 BSA B40 Clutch lever and cable is so Stiff.. [Re: kommando] #333554 09/14/10 8:45 pm
P
Peter W Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
P
Perfect. Ill give those suggestions a shot. Thanks again. I feel like i have sprained fingers right now...

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership