BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Google advert
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Engnr_2001
Engnr_2001
Seattle, WA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bill Davis, DGreear, KevKav, Joe B, tobbe53
10732 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 121
DavidP 57
Rohan 52
reverb 48
Popular Topics(Views)
920,525 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,120
Posts672,713
Members10,732
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
53 registered members (998John), 341 guests, and 944 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Any Brit truck drivers here .... ? [Re: Pete C] #315855
05/29/10 12:46 pm
05/29/10 12:46 pm
Lancashire UK
oilyrag Offline
BritBike Forum member
oilyrag  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lancashire UK

Hi,

just to get back to road safety, I'm a Whitevan man and three time in the last two years I've pulled over wagons on the M6 by pulling ahead and hazarding/slowing, because their trailer brakes were on fire and they never even felt them siezed on. They were always very grateful. I've seen a car being pushed sideways up Boundary Hill on the Eastbound M62, the driver carefully made his way to the hard shoulder before stopping, but it took a quarter of a mile and NO-ONE got out of his way. I've driven in the US and Canada and generally your traffic density is nothing like ours, in this country you NEVER stop on the carriageway because there will be fifty vehicles behind you going too fast/too asleep/too close/too stupid to do anything but pile into you.Every single morning there are accidents at the SAME places involving people who travel that way EVERY DAY, if you break down and manage to make it to the shoulder, get your passengers out and away before someone hits you, even official advice now is that it is too dangerous to change a tyre at roadside for the same reason.
On the subject of the Youtube clip I agree that the video poster should have been taken to task for doing nothing to help the young girl in the car, rather than thinking of his moment of fame. So perhaps this is all a question of general culture rather than HGV/LGV drivers safety consciousness.

Oil is always cheaper than metal
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: Any Brit truck drivers here .... ? [Re: raf940] #315863
05/29/10 1:40 pm
05/29/10 1:40 pm
North Georgia, USA
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
I'm sure you've seen these pics of the backhoe being hauled on a flat bed trailer out west.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Re: Any Brit truck drivers here .... ? [Re: RF Whatley] #315865
05/29/10 1:53 pm
05/29/10 1:53 pm
NL
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G

NL
One of Rich B's excavators? crazy

'parking lot lizards'

Must be the equivalent of what sailers call "Dockside rats"... laughing

Ger B

Re: Any Brit truck drivers here .... ? [Re: oilyrag] #315866
05/29/10 1:55 pm
05/29/10 1:55 pm
Lincolnshire UK
Mar1doc Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mar1doc  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lincolnshire UK
Reference the video, The film was taken from the back of a car that was turning off the motor way ,thats why the lorry passed the camera, so not filmed by the driver.

The latest TV news I have seen on the subject said that the police had finished their inquiry and agreed that the lorry driver could not see the car from his seat and commended both car and lorry drivers that were involved in the incident for remaining calm,doing all the right things (once the situation had been noticed) and stopping safely on the hard shoulder.

Overtaking the "incident" may of ended with you being involved if the situation had changed as you passed, staying behind and flashing your lights and waving like an idiot may of been the safest way to get the drivers attention.

I had a wheel on a 4 wheel trailer come off on a motorway, the first I knew of the problem was when a lorry pulled out to overtake me and didn't come by but straddled 2 lanes with his hazard lights on, as I pulled onto the hard shoulder the wheel came off and safely rolled to a stop at the crash barrier. The lorry driver had seen it wobbling before it fell off.

The car had come up a slip road and wrongly estimated their speed relative to the lorries and in so doing had cut across the front of the lorry (from the left for all you people who drive on the wrong side of the road!) which pushed the back of the car to the left.

Women drivers!

Martyn

Re: Any Brit truck drivers here .... ? [Re: Mar1doc] #315908
05/29/10 4:50 pm
05/29/10 4:50 pm
hampshire, england
T
t120mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
t120mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
T

hampshire, england
What a fantastic ad for Hyundai diggers, RF!

Strong, or what! I'd never have belived it could penetrate reinforced concrete like that. I'm so incredulous that I'm thinking it could be some sort of set-up!

Did the participants get a free change of underwear?

Last edited by t120mike; 05/29/10 4:51 pm. Reason: typos

mike
Member #: 147
1960 T120 Bonneville
1999 H*%^a VFR 800 FI
V4 Triton Project (still keeping me sane (Ha-Ha!))
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership