BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn, Marcel Fekete, Changaroo
10896 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 131
DavidP 71
quinten 68
Popular Topics(Views)
1,042,360 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,003
Posts682,377
Members10,896
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Alex Lynch), 346 guests, and 798 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
North East America #288209 12/10/09 9:41 am
Paul G80 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I hope everyone is o.k and coping with the horrendous weather you guys seem to be lumbered with.

I saw the pictures on the news this morning and made me grateful all we have to cope with (so far) is rain.

She says I don't listen...or something like that....I think!!!

Idiot For Hire and Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: North East America [Re: Paul G80] #288250 12/10/09 4:17 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hey Thanks
It was a pretty good winter till now too...rode into work just last Friday. Low 40s F but nice just the same. My part of New Hampshire only got about a foot of snow, but its the consistancy of wet concrete. About as heavy too. I'd rather see 3 feet of powder than this stuff. A pain for sure but not as catastrophic as whats happened over your way.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: North East America [Re: MikeG] #288252 12/10/09 4:29 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
walked out of the theater i was working in a couple nights ago to find it to be a white-out...
we only got a couple of inches out of the deal but we, too, had the heavy wet stuff.

we are almost sub-tropical any more down here...
if you watch the weather lines, there is a line which almost ALWAYS runs right through our area, right in the middle and just north of the maryland line in pennsylvania...it's a total crap shoot- the weather here could go either way...

the bigger storms that affect us mostly pop up out of the south-south west, running right up the shenandoah valley into the cumberland valley. rarely does a storm make it over the mountains of western PA to dump on us.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: North East America [Re: ricochetrider] #288270 12/10/09 6:21 pm
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Paul
West and midwest got the brunt of it. We got about6 inches here but as others say it was heavy. Worst for me was although I tweaked the snowblower before the season it let me down about 2/3 of the way through. It's been acting up off and on for a while. Cleaned the carb replaced some lines etc. Well today I went out and splashed on a new Ariens. I'm too old to mess with equipment in 20 degree weather. Ariens has a good name so this one will likely outlast me. I'll save my fettling for the bikes.
George

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: North East America [Re: Paul G80] #288378 12/11/09 12:34 pm
R
Rich B Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
R
Paul,

It is winter, it happens...winter has been here a LONG before we were. And the news media makes sure everyone sees pictures of the "terrible winter weather".

Of course, I am a little unhappy about winter these days. Al Bore promised us Global Warming, it was 11 F (-12 C) this morning. I was out looking for my share of GlobaL Warming. Couldn't find it, either Al didn't come through with hsi promise, or someone took my Global Warming eek

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: North East America [Re: Rich B] #288384 12/11/09 1:07 pm
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Stop yer complaining there Rich!

Get yer ice racers out and post some photos of yerself in a full broad-slide throwing-up a full rooster of that white stuff!

You has to look on the bright side! grin

Last edited by Britbodger; 12/11/09 1:08 pm.
Re: North East America [Re: Britbodger R.I.P.] #288395 12/11/09 1:41 pm
Dick Harris Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Morn'n All, It was 12 F. this morning in western New York State. I'm 40 miles east of Buffalo and we get a goodly amount of that Lake effect snow off Lake Erie. They're saying we may get another 6 inches of the stuff and the wind has been up to 50 MPH gusts. Got a call from my "great" neighbors telling me they would be right down to clean us out. At least there is some consolation to being old and decrepet. Dick

Re: North East America [Re: Dick Harris] #288484 12/11/09 11:06 pm
G
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Private sponsor
G
Well,

You lot have it EASY I tells ya. .... 'cos over here it's been WARM and SUNNY the last two days ? ..... errrr...... oh .... I *see* ... <ahem> shocked

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

Re: North East America [Re: Graham Ham] #288563 12/12/09 2:17 pm
P
penna-john Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
my wife was complaining about the winter cold this morning, and wanting it to be over, and i had to remind her that it wont begin for another nine days.we go through this every year,hey dick we bought a new refrigerator and stove this week the ones i replaced were older than me

Re: North East America [Re: penna-john] #288577 12/12/09 5:20 pm
D
dogbone Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Installed the chains on my avon snowtire, and studded the front. Screw the nasty Ohio winters, rrriiiiiide !

Re: North East America [Re: Rich B] #288594 12/12/09 7:10 pm
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Rich B
Of course, I am a little unhappy about winter these days. Al Bore promised us Global Warming,

Ditto that in spades. We've already seen -12F (about -25C) here in Minnesota this week and winter doesn't even start until December 21st!

And last winter we saw -30F actual (not wind chill) with weeks of -20 or colder every day. Statistically, it was one of the coldest winters on record, and I frankly don't quite understand the continued focus on "Global Warming". Other than perhaps making Al Bore even richer with his Carbon Trading company.

Disgusting. sick

Re: North East America [Re: Jim Hultman] #288675 12/13/09 1:27 am
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Life member
I think I must live in just the right spot. I can see the clouds forming to the south over Lake Erie going to dump on Buffalo. 5km south of me they get 3 times the snow we do. 20km north it comes off either Lake Michigan or Lake Huron if there is any west in the wind, or Lake Ontario, if it has east. Muskoka region of Ontario got as much snow in the last 3 days, 3 to 4 feet, as a normal December. We got about an inch! Cold though, -10c with windchill factor drops to about -20. I still think we get too much snow, but I am not moving.

Mike, home is where we moor it.

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership