BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
johnnyrvf
johnnyrvf
Dordogne, SW France
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
reverb 61
NickL 52
Popular Topics(Views)
1,003,127 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,684
Posts679,548
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
46 registered members (998John), 285 guests, and 865 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Translation Please ! #274375 09/12/09 10:53 pm
Alan_nc Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
So you 'real' Brits (vs, us fake Brits): What the heck is "Spotted Dick", which I understand was upgraded to "Spotted Richard". and and.... is there more than one meaning here?

Thanks guys.........

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Alan_nc] #274376 09/12/09 10:59 pm
PsYcHoBiLLYRocKeR Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Google it....it sounds yummy

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Alan_nc] #274377 09/12/09 11:00 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
HMMM...
scrolling memory data...
BINGO. isn't it a sort of FOOD?
(as opposed to a social disease?)
i think so but for the life of me i can't recall WHAT sort, exactly...some sort of desert maybe?

that's it, MY GUESS is a type of *pudding* or, as we would call it here, cake? i think we had some at the Plough Inn, the 2nd Plough Inn we camped at, on the way home from Yorkshire, near the home village of Geoff and Sarah, in fact.

seeking clarification please, guys...word UP

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: ricochetrider] #274378 09/12/09 11:05 pm
D
DM Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: DM] #274408 09/13/09 9:18 am
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
When it's called "Richard" even the cream on it looks delicious.

laugh

Ger B

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Ger B] #274420 09/13/09 12:30 pm
O
Our Lisa Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
O
Delicious and hilarious - what's not to like?

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Ger B] #274423 09/13/09 12:40 pm
Grandad Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Alan
I've been a great fan of spotted dick all my life and in my opinion the best sort consist of a hot steamed suet pudding (like a greasy cake) bulging with raisins and currents and covered in a generous helping of custard. Lovely grub!!

Cheap supermarket varieties are usually very dry (i.e. non-greasy and more like a normal cake)and have very little fruit in them and are therefore not up to scratch.

In English barrack-room humour 'spotted dick' is a euphemism for sexually acquired disease and needs no further explanation!

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Grandad] #274425 09/13/09 1:04 pm
J
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
my recipe for spotted dick

8oz self raising flour
pinch salt
4oz shredded suet
4oz sugar
4oz currants ( or other fruit to suit preferences )
1 medium egg
enough milk to make an elastic dough

mix dry ingredients, preferably in a bowl as it's less messy than on the floor
mix in beaten egg and milk
stretch the mixture out to form a roll but not too thin.
roll it up in a floured cloth and boil or steam for 2-3 hours

serve hot with sweet white sauce or thick custard.

That's good heart attack fodder.

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Janet] #274491 09/14/09 12:27 am
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
So, please bear with me as I'm one of those colonial types still getting my edumacation.... grin

My experience with suet consists of some greasy, smelly, foul-type stuff you hang in trees for bird food in the winter....

While we're at it, what IS suet anyway? Is there an ingredients list? Call it morbid curiosity... sick

Is that the SAME suet found in Janet's otherwise lovely recipe!?!?!? I almost had a heart-attack just reading it!! smile

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: JubeePrince] #274494 09/14/09 1:00 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Suet is raw beef fat.

Hard to find it these days - used to be that butchers and supermarket meat departments would get beef in whole sides, from which the suet had to be cut off and they sold it separately.

Today, they get the beef with the suet already gone, so they don't sell it.

I get mine (I don't need much) from a guy who butchers venison, and uses suet to "lard" the venison to add some fat back to it. Deer fat is totally gross, musky, and unusable, so if you want "fatter" venison, you use suet.

Suet can be melted down to make a great deep-frying medium - leaves food crisp and brown, and it doesn't absorb the grease. Or you can make these puddings with it, spotted dick, spotted dog, drowned baby, etc.

They're really delicious but your cardiologist would have you committed to a padded room for eating any of it.

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Alan_nc] #274526 09/14/09 9:41 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Spotted Dick is a lovely lump of heart attack on a plate, and we all love it.

But knowing nothing, I would guess it's something we had over here during the war, Grandad will help me out here I'm sure? Cos it's the sort of thing you can eat a little of, and be completely full up. So when the kids came in searching the bomb sites, and starving, Mum would dish this up and in a jiffy their little bellies would be full. Course in them days of hardships, no one cared about veins filling up with fat, all they wanted was good grub and plenty of it.

Isn't that right Grandad wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Kent Shaun] #274537 09/14/09 11:13 am
B
baza57 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
oi,shaun,us poor londoners couldnt get currants(there was a war on) we had to make do with woolton pie followed by plain suet pudden with treacle! lovely.

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: baza57] #274545 09/14/09 12:27 pm
JT441 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It used to be a family favorite during the holidays, but we used called it steam pudding. I still have the mold that my mother made it in. We served it hot with a hot rum sauce. It's delicious, and, as Sean reported, very rich and filling.

JT441
'70 B44
'71 T120
'66 Spitfire
'85 Honda Shadow (the SO's bike)
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'96 Honda Pacific Coast
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: JT441] #274547 09/14/09 12:56 pm
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
This may be why you never hear the term "British cuisine" .
When we were young and poor my mom made dumplings for the same reason . You got a little broth,a little veg and a little beef and a big old doughy belly bomb of a dumpling . Wasn't room in the tummy for more than one.
George

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: George Elston] #274560 09/14/09 2:30 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
That's what "Yorkshire Pudding" is for, too.

The beef has to "go around" quite a few times, so you pour the pan full of batter which bakes and puffs up big, and soaks up all the grease and juice in the pan. One slice of beef, and a couple big scoops of "pud", and that's all you can do, doesn't matter how big of a trencherman you are.

At home, it was "meat loaf" and "salmon cakes". How to make 1/2 pound of ground beef or one .39 cent can of salmon go around six people ... !

Lannis

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Lannis] #274562 09/14/09 2:42 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
yeah, and then when i was first out on my own, it was instant pancake mix for brekkie and Kraft mac and cheese at supper time!
cheap and filling.

yeah George, maybe the brits aren't known internationally for their *cuisine* but man, when you get out into the country, the food at the local pubs is really GOOD! home cooking at its finest, with as much local foodstuffs as one could hope for. whatever is coming out of the fields and streams, is what we ate while there. one DOES wonder what happens in winter tho?

even the pub food on the IOM was pretty amazing...

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: ricochetrider] #274566 09/14/09 2:59 pm
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Lannis
Funny that . We often had salmon crouqettes as my mother called them . Can of salmon with cracker crumbs and an egg. Fried in the pan. Serves many. Now I could have salmon steaks any time I wanted but don't care for them . But would love to have one of those low budget salmon cakes right now.
George

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: Translation Please ! [Re: George Elston] #274567 09/14/09 3:08 pm
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Like how my grandmother made meatballs the size of a ping pong ball "second world war style": 40% ground pork 40% ground beef 20% dried bread crumbs. And if you were lucky an egg went in as well.

Ger B

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: George Elston] #274569 09/14/09 3:24 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by George Elston
Lannis
Funny that . We often had salmon crouqettes as my mother called them . Can of salmon with cracker crumbs and an egg. Fried in the pan. Serves many. Now I could have salmon steaks any time I wanted but don't care for them . But would love to have one of those low budget salmon cakes right now.
George

My mom was (and is) a great cook, and a miracle-worker at making food go a long way.

I still like her 'meat loaf', various chicken dishes, etc but I had a lifetime's worth of salmon cakes and don't care to ever see another one ..... !

Lannis

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: ricochetrider] #274572 09/14/09 3:37 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
yeah, and then when i was first out on my own, it was instant pancake mix for brekkie and Kraft mac and cheese at supper time!

but man, when you get out into the country, the food at the local pubs is really GOOD! home cooking at its finest, with as much local foodstuffs as one could hope for. whatever is coming out of the fields and streams, is what we ate while there. one DOES wonder what happens in winter tho?

even the pub food on the IOM was pretty amazing...

"Generic" macaroni and cheese was 12 boxes for $1.00 when Fay and I were young newleyweds. That's 8 cents a box, which was nominally 4 servings but we'd eat a box between us. You couldn't fix it without margarine, however, so you had to have cheap margarine or oil in the house too. Even so, it was like .18 cents a meal.

I talked to every landlord and pubkeeper I could while in the UK, and they all said the same thing:

1) From wartime up through the 70s, British food was just about what rumour had it to be - bland, filling, doughy, overcooked. Cheap and filling was the rule.
2) But since then, it's been steadily improving. I definitely agree with that! I couldn't get better food in the US than I got in the UK.

It SEEMED more expensive, but maybe it wasn't?

If I go to Applebee's down the street here, and order the half-sized Oriental Chicken Salad, it's listed at $6.95.

However, before I get out of the restaurant, it's

4% State sales tax = $7.22
10% (!) local restaurant tax = $7.94
Something around 15-18% as a tip = $9.37

so you end up dropping a tenner on the table and done.

In the UK, if the Chicken and Leek Pie is listed at 6.95, you give them 7 and get 5p back in change. So the difference really isn't that great.

Lannis

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Lannis] #274731 09/15/09 4:36 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
In the UK, if the Chicken and Leek Pie is listed at 6.95, you give them 7 and get 5p back in change. So the difference really isn't that great.

here's where the MAIN diff lies:
at the typical Brit pub, you KNOW they JUST made it from fresh, local ingredients- where at Applebee's, it was made in california from chemical soaked cyber-chicken and hydrogen puffed pesticide soaked leeks,(devoid of any nutritional value) THEN flash-frozen, THEN shipped 2800 miles, THEN micro-waved and brought to your table...

a few bucks more for fresh, cooked-to-order food is WELL worth it- to me at least! (never mind that i had to FLY 4,000 miles to get it at that pub)

sub-note:
Applebee's is just another scourge of american society IMHO and i would just as soon see all of them BURN.

Re: Translation Please ! [Re: Lannis] #275630 09/20/09 8:49 pm
58a10 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
my grammy used to make this thing at Christmas she called plum duff. (tho the recipe card she wrote had it spelled "dough")
it was a thing that sounded very much like the above recipe, but when it was brought to the Christmas eve dinner table, it was wrapped in burlap, and upon opening, was doused in rum and ignited, which always brought on a dinner table rendition of "good king winceslas" for some reason. great stuff tho.
and my grammy was a teetotaler. alabama style.

britbikes: ride, wrench, repeat

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership