Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
KC in S.B.
KC in S.B.
Santa Barbara, California
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26732 07/01/07 1:23 pm
G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
I wonder sometimes why so many of us expect our AMAL carbs to be immortal. I put it to you that this is not a reasonable expectation! If any other part of the engine is worn out, most of us bite the bullet and replace it. I doubt anyone at BSA explained to AMAL (Or Joe Lucas or Smiths come to that!) that their instruments were required to operate for 40 or 50 years. If the pistons are worn out do we not replace them? Likewise with the big end bushes small end bushes and so on and so forth. We should rejoice that we can once again purchase new AMAL carbs. This is not a state of affairs we should take for granted. Let's make sure the supply continues by supporting the people trying to run a business making them. Some of us spend thousands on our machines and then baulk at investing in new carbs. While I’m on my soapbox, when was the last time you replaced your air filter elements? Let’s take a look at those awful throttle cables too!

signiture
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
#26733 07/01/07 1:47 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Agreed.

Although I'm guilty of "do as I say, not as I do"...

I have a brand new pair on the shelf for when I finally buil my '68. I lack a half-handful of nuts and bolts to put it together, and everything is already painted, polished or powdercoated, just need TIME.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#26734 07/01/07 2:04 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Unless otherwise damaged, I prefere old sleeved ones to new.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#26735 07/01/07 2:58 pm
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
I agree with Alex. I like the patina on my old Amals. I certainly don't throw out cylinders because I have to bore them one size up. Why should I throw out my old Amals when they still work perfectly fine after being resleeved?

Josh
#26736 07/02/07 1:26 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Good point Gollywog !
The best investment I`ve done on my BSA`s has been to replace the old amals with new ones. ,

1940 M21
1960 Golden Flash

"Everything takes longer time than it takes"

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com