Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
C.B.S
C.B.S
Lancaster, California
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26703 06/30/07 6:08 am
B
BSA10 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I've read all the posts about how to fit engine to frame spacers to reduce vibration but what is an acceptable level of vibration for an A10.
I have a 54 S/A Golden Flash with an SRM rebuilt and balanced engine, but I have not ever ridden another A10. Should I ever be able to see clearly in the rear view mirrors. I seem to hit a sweet spot at around 55mph where they stop shaking, but other than that she is pretty blurry. When stopped at lights, the front forks vibrate quite a lot unless the front brake is pulled on.
Just thought I might be trying to achieve the unachievable.
Cheers,
GraemeD

Graeme
1954 A10 Golden Flash
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I went one tooth larger on the countershaft sprocket on my 59 A10, which reduced rpm and made for a smoother ride on the highway. I also use modern, foam hand grips.
Top engine builders will often ream out the engine mounts and frame mounts to ensure a nice snug fit for engine mounting bolts. However, this is usually done before assembling the engine and before final mounting of the engine in the frame.

When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise.
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I have come to the opinion that vibration is all relative to what you are used to . I have gone to lengths to make my bike ride the way I want at long distances on the freeway , more thna a few people think this is crazy? As far as Mirrors ?? I dont use them on my BSA , johnny law may have a problem with that , but I find them all but useless in real life situations . I like to think of the ol' Beeza as the mobile foot massage , just a soothing rumble that has you feeling top shelf when you get home after a long day in the salt mine ....

FWIW-BONZO

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
It will always vibrate when the engine is firing. I think it is sad when the vibration stops because it means the engine must have stopped firing. It’s to stop you falling asleep. I sometimes look in my mirror and find myself being followed by several motorbikes. When I look over my shoulder I find there is actually only one! If you go a long way your hands get numb as though you have been operating a jackhammer. This poses the question of how the traffic cops rode these things for hours on end day after day. I think part of it was the low compression ratio cop bikes ran at. I have SRM 7.5:1 Pistons in my 1968 Lightning. It still vibrates but not so bad that tinware breaks. (Touch wood). Even though I run a pair of very tired AMAL Carbs the engine idles nicely at all temperatures and does not stall when you pull up at the lights. Friends who have tried it say they can't tell the difference in performance with their own 9:1 pistons. I did read an article that suggested the improved shape of the combustion chamber and cleaner burn compensates to some extent for the lower compression. Having said all this your A10 probably has low comp pistons so I’m preaching to the converted. Enjoy

signiture
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds normal -to good, actually.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
Originally posted by BONZO:
I have come to the opinion that vibration is all relative to what you are used to . I have gone to lengths to make my bike ride the way I want at long distances on the freeway , more thna a few people think this is crazy? As far as Mirrors ?? I dont use them on my BSA , johnny law may have a problem with that , but I find them all but useless in real life situations . I like to think of the ol' Beeza as the mobile foot massage , just a soothing rumble that has you feeling top shelf when you get home after a long day in the salt mine ....

FWIW-BONZO
I'll definitely have to second Bonzo on this one! I don't use mirrors as well, and I've found it's less of a problem in North Carolina because there are no inspections on vehicles over 30 years. In Texas I got reamed...

Josh
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
... you guys use mirrors...?

Myles Raymond, Glasgow, Scotland.

1934 BSA R35-4 DeLuxe, 1949 ZB32 Clubman Gold Star, 1955 BSA A7ss, 1961 DBD34 Clubman Gold Star and others.
"A tidy workshop is a shop where no work is ever done" - my Dad.
B
BSA10 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Sounds like I have a damn good vibration free machine. After reading all your responses I went for a long ride on the motorway and realised how smooth the bike is. Bonzo is right and it is all relative.
I have gone one tooth larger on the sprocket (20 tooth) and that suits highway cruising.
Thanks for the reponses I feel much better now and will continue to just enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.
Graeme

Graeme
1954 A10 Golden Flash
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
good on yer' graeme , the 20 is the way to go , so many talk about the 21 and miss the whole fun of the A-65 , they like to rev, unless you tend to travel at 80MPH+ the 21 will never satisfy , I ride in some urban fast traffic , and rarely see a need for the 21 ????

FWIW-BONZO

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey Graeme...loosen some of your engine mounting bolts and that annoying sweet spot at 55 will disappear :bigt:

BTW, my Flash is pretty vibratey and I don't think I could even keep a mirror BOLTED to the thing. It'd just shake loose, anyway.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
My mirror shook loose yesterday ;-) Don`t think the bike likes it and it has to go. As for vibrations; it`s defintely there.

1940 M21
1960 Golden Flash

"Everything takes longer time than it takes"
B
BSA10 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Hey Alex, Removed both front engine mount bolts, loosened the steering head bearings and took one spark plug lead off. Still a sweet machine.
Cheers, Graeme

Graeme
1954 A10 Golden Flash

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com