BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
John Birkett
John Birkett
South Cheshire, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton, Alex Lynch, B Mac
10777 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 129
NickL 64
DavidP 56
MarcB 52
Popular Topics(Views)
949,717 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,514
Posts675,781
Members10,777
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 259 guests, and 559 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
a10 chain case leak #25817 06/07/07 10:31 pm
G
goldenflashgaz Offline OP
BritBike Forum
OP Offline
BritBike Forum
G
hi all im new to the forum, can any one please help with a question i got.my bike is a gf52 plunger, i am having trouble sealing my chain case housing and i have been recommended to use a cork gasket as i have tried a card and liquid gasket , i can only find one to fit a swinging arm bike while mine is a plunger is the gasket the same for both types what is the difference or has anyone any other ideas to solve the problem ??, many thanks gary...

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: a10 chain case leak #25818 06/07/07 11:05 pm
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Gary;

The plunger has a shorter chaincase than does the swingarm as the gearbox is bolted right to the back of the engine. You should be able to dress out any imperfections on the cover using a large piece of plate glass and a sheet of fine emery paper. With modern gasket material to make a gasket you should be able to make it oil tight. Do you know where the oil is coming from? The cover seam? Could it be from the where the mainshaft enters the chaincase area behind the clutch? Is there a breather pipe?

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: a10 chain case leak #25819 06/08/07 6:55 pm
G
goldenflashgaz Offline OP
BritBike Forum
OP Offline
BritBike Forum
G
thanks gordo, the leak seems to be coming from one of the screw holes at the bottom , i have tried gaskets on each face to no avail, any way off to italy tomos for a week on holiday will pick it up on return thanks gary...

Re: a10 chain case leak #25820 06/08/07 11:06 pm
C
ca7a Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Where, exactly, is the location of the leak? Are you certain it's at a screw hole?
Gordo's correct re resurfacing the cover. A warped inner cover or a crack at that screw hole can also create the problem. Multiple gaskets will not avail you not; a gasket is only intended to make up for manufacturing tolerance spread.
The root of the problem is right there in front of you. Look closely and you'll find it.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership