BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Dave Martin
Dave Martin
Antigua
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
braided pipe fittings for pressure gauge?
#242205 03/10/09 7:46 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Has anyone converted a Triples Rule oil pressure gauge to a braided line and if so what size and type fittings do you need either end? I have a gauge on order.
I'd be happier leaving it on if I can replace the plastic tube :bigt
cheers
John

the trouble with the world today is apathy; but I don't care.
British Motorcycles, built to last, till worn out.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: braided pipe fittings for pressure gauge?
john toghill #242206 03/10/09 7:57 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
What is your concern John? It is high pressure (over 200psi) pipe which will only ever see 80psi?

Blapper redwine

Blapper #242213 03/10/09 8:46 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Blapper
What is your concern John? It is high pressure (over 200psi) pipe which will only ever see 80psi?

Blapper redwine

It's not the pressure that I'm concerned about, just the ruggedness of the plastic-nylon tube. I know people have got these fitted and haven't had problems for sometimes years, but equally I've heard of cases of the tube cracking or splitting, perhaps due to the flexing it has to endure. Consequently I'd be happier if I can upgrade it mate. Please note these failures I've heard of may well not be the same tubing supplied by Triples Rule and is in no way a criticism of their product or I wouldn't be buying from them.
John

john toghill #242219 03/10/09 8:57 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I look forward to finding out more John, if there is any reason to worry I'll upgrade mine.

Cheers,

Blapper redwine

Blapper #242220 03/10/09 9:05 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Blapper
I look forward to finding out more John, if there is any reason to worry I'll upgrade mine.

Cheers,

Blapper redwine

And there's me thinking you'd be the boy to tell me the size and type of fittings that come with the kit grin

john toghill #242237 03/10/09 10:17 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have all that stuff of course, but you get the plastic pipe with anti crush inserts and compression fittings with the kit. To convert to braided I reckon a complete re-think is necessary. The good thing about the std pipe is that there is flex in it whereas the braided pipe doesn't flex at all well and so handlebar movement could cause your gauge to break.... Just a thought because I was going to replace all my oil lines with braided until I found out how large and stiff they are.

When I fitted my kit, I routed the pipe onto the rolling chassis with minimum flex in mind and I didn't think there was a problem. I do have a non-standard arrangement (of course, or I wouldn't be Blapper wink ), in that my switch and gauge take-off are built into my filter head leaving my timing case clear for my pressurised oil feed system, but having said that, the gauge end is std.

By the way, you may need to radius the corner of the fitting that goes into the gauge to avoid it hitting your headlight shell.

Blapper redwine

Blapper #242259 03/10/09 11:14 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Mine is a bit of a mongrel, the front end and swing arm is from a later 80's bike so I've got the top mounted rear caliper and the centre consul between the speedo and tach. I've ordered the handlebar mount kit.

john toghill #242320 03/11/09 10:46 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi John

I will attempt to despatch a link to Melbourne Metisse, he does equipment as you describe and IMHO your concerns are valid.

Never mind the mindless chatter.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
Tiger #242324 03/11/09 12:42 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Never mind the mindless chatter

Care to explain that comment? Tourette's syndrome?

Blapper #242325 03/11/09 12:45 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi John,

Right, so you wouldn't have a problem with the fitting touching. With my installation the only place that there is movement is the headstock for the handlebars.

If you have any problems I have a few spare parts I may be able to help you with.

Blapper redwine

Blapper #242327 03/11/09 1:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi John, as Tiger says I do have an automotive hose business and I have replaced a few of these guage hoses. Because of the size there is not a great deal of choice of materials but I use 3/16ths braided brake hose as this has teflon lining and can handle the physical properties and temperature of the hot oil. Vibration resistance is not an issue either. Clearly you will need to have suitable fittings to fit to the guage but I have been able to modify Speedflow fittings to match without too much trouble. Braided brake hose is good too because you can colour match to suit your bike!

Blapper if you read this - if the braided oil hose you were looking at was too heavy and stiff then it was not the correct type. I used Speedflow 100 series hose on my bike and it's fine. You can also get a hose with only a braided exterior (popular with Hardly Fergusons) that is lighter and more flexible (and cheaper!) than 100 series if you so desire.

john toghill #242359 03/11/09 4:05 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi John,

Originally Posted by john toghill
Has anyone converted a Triples Rule oil pressure gauge to a braided line

Ye-e-es-ish - not the TR gauge specifically but the similar, GB-available Wika used by Trevor Gleadall when he owned L.P. Williams, and a few LPW T160 kits.

Assuming you're talking about a twin, and you want to use Goodridge fittings:-

1. My Wika gauge is installed in the TR-type bracket that also mounts the speedo. and tacho. Trevor supplied the gauge with a brass fitting that turns the outlet through 135 degrees (i.e. from vertical to a bit below horizontal); otherwise, the hose would've had to go though the headlamp shell!

You don't say whether you have this bracket or the o.p. gauge only; if the latter, bear in mind that -03 (3/16" i.d.) braided hose must not be curved to less than a 1-1/2" radius.

2. On my T100, with the o.p. gauge mounted in the aforementioned 'three-clock' bracket, I used a little under 1 metre of hose - 0.96m or 0.97m iirc. This allowed enough slack for steering movement and that the hose must be curved to approach the engine o.p. switch hole from below - you can't do it from above because of the curve of the timing chest.

3. Only thing I don't know is the thread on the TR gauge. Trevor/LPW supplied the aforementioned brass fitting with 1/8"BSP male outlet thread so I used a Goodridge 321-03P 1/8"BSP Straight Female to attach the hose. If you have to use this fitting too, note that it isn't available in stainless (suffix 'C'), but you can have it supplied with a stainless hose nut.

4. At the engine end of the hose, I used a 5097-03C Banjo Side 20-degree Extended Neck to curve the hose towards the frame tube.

5. To attach the banjo to the engine, because I wanted to retain the o.p. warning light, I converted a switch to be a banjo bolt too.

The standard switch has a length of 1/2" o.d. between the hex. and the thread; I had a local machinist turn this down to 0.405" (the max. o.d. of the thread), drill a hole across 3/16" down from the hex. (this'll match the hole to the hose in the banjo) and relieve the circumference of the switch in line with this hole.

If you want to use a normal banjo bolt to mount the banjo, you'll need to have one made up, unless you can source a banjo bolt to match your engine's o.p. switch thread - early '69 ones are 1/8"NPT (National Pipe Tapered), anything later is 1/8"NPS (National Pipe Straight).

Btw, the banjo bolt hole will need to be opened up - it's intended for a 3/8" or M10 o.d. bolt.

Hth.

Regards,

Stuart #242430 03/11/09 9:22 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for all the useful advice and info fellas. I've read about your gauge mod before Stuart, nice job but unfortunately I've not got access to anyone to do the work you suggest and lack the skill to turn down the switch myself.
I spoke to Norman Hyde today, as he's doing my new brake hoses, and mentioned an oil pressure gauge. He wont sell them as he says they cause to much stress to the owners of older bikes due to the fluctuations you get with ambient temperature as well as oil temperature. But he does agree it's a good idea to use one to do an initial test with a re-build and perhaps periodic checks. He did say it's fine to fit them as long as you bear in mind the above and don't get in a panic when the pressure drops on a stinking hot day and you've been sitting in traffic.
John

john toghill #242448 03/12/09 12:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi John,

I've not got access to anyone to do the work you suggest and lack the skill to turn down the switch myself.

Like I said in your brake hoses thread, I (and the machinist I use) aren't very far from you ...

Hth.

Regards,

Stuart #242811 03/13/09 7:51 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi John,

I've not got access to anyone to do the work you suggest and lack the skill to turn down the switch myself.

Like I said in your brake hoses thread, I (and the machinist I use) aren't very far from you ...

Hth.

Regards,

Cheers Stuart. Sorry I've not had time to reply before, been tied up at work. I may well take you up on your kind offer if I can't source suitable adaptors. I'll wait until the gauge and fittings are delivered and sus out what the fittings supplied are and take it from there. If I can manage to sort it out I'll make a new post and list the fittings needed.
all the best mate
John

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership