BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
RJBSA1949
RJBSA1949
Loreauville, Louisiana
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Lawson, Borderlord, BMac, clive1, Dan87GT
10943 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 100
franko 91
DavidP 62
NickL 57
DarrenJ 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,068,800 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,303
Posts685,319
Members10,943
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
53 registered members (Alan_nc), 946 guests, and 942 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212633 12/22/07 4:37 pm
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
found this bike local. 1970 Bonneville,very sad shape! but matching numbers and it did run ( kinda).. a lot of frame lugs hacked off and Harley front end semi grafted to it many parts missing or bodged up... tore it down and slowly sourcing the parts etc to bring it back...
Hope my pictures work. not too good at this computer stuff but here goes... [img] [IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/Bobster650/Triumph4.jpg [/img][/IMG]

!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212634 12/22/07 4:37 pm
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
trying again!!!
[Linked Image]

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212635 12/22/07 4:41 pm
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
progress so far.. got all the frame lugs repaired and the frame blasted and painted...
[Linked Image]

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212636 12/22/07 4:45 pm
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Nice work. I would say you have all the hard tasks completed. (Good selection of machines scattered around your shop!)

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212637 12/22/07 4:52 pm
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi Gordo and thanks.. slow but sure and fun!!! still need to find a front end and some misc parts... but the hunt for parts is al part of the experience too!! plan to get the rolling chassis done then go thru the motor. had a Bonneville years ago back in England so this is a real trip down memory lane for me!!
Happy Christmas to everyone!!!!!

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212638 12/22/07 10:22 pm
J
jays375 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Looks familar to me.My 64 Bonneville looked in the same condition when I bought it.Same Sportster front end,with 16 rear wheel.My numbers matched too,did't run.No ignition or wire harness.Got it running,motor is good though.Cylinders are very nice with good compression.I got the original frontend with mine.The frame was all left untouched luckily.Found most of the big items.It's been fun and aggravting too.A little more work and ready to tear it down for powder coat.Before I do that gonna post some pictures here.You lok to be a little further ahead of me though

Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212639 12/23/07 1:09 am
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi Jays,
your lucky that you had the right front end with the bike. I am having trouble finding the correct forks and front wheel, and also the rear mudguard. A lot of the smaller pieces, brackets etc I have fabricated. Luckily a lot of the Triumph brackets are pretty easy to fabricate. I didnt even get a tank or seat with mine! I did find a gas tank, needs a little work but its rust free and no leaks! I went with an Epoxy type paint on the frame and will powder coat the oil tank and side cover. Going to keep it about 90% stock with some personal mods.. I like the covered shock look better so going to go with those and also think I wil do the earlier Bonnie paint scheme of Blue/Silver as I really do like that colour combination. not too fond of the red/silver colour for the 1970 model year. Also think I may retro fit a chrome tank top rack ... always fun to make the bike a "Little" Unique!!
Good luck on your project there, and look forward to seeing your pictures as well.
Cheers, Bob

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212640 12/23/07 3:12 am
J
jays375 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
All I had for original was front fork legs,tubes,trees wheel.The rest wasn't there.The rest of the original parts were missing.I mean everything was missing.Just like your bike.Finally hunted down most of them.Had to buy alot gas tank,fenders front(used)rear(repop).Most of the parts for mine are hard to find.Three years is all I can use.The oil tank was a real pain to find,only 64 65 same.Gas tank was dumb luck,listed wrong on e-bay.Bought it for $130 is all,needs very little work.I'm very lucky to be a welder and work in fab shop,so I can do all my own welding.Just finished up mounting oil tank and making 12 volt battery fit in nicely.Looks very original.Everything else I'm pretty much in same boat as you are.Updating everything I can ignition,charging system.Even set it up with single carb head with new Mikuni.Still have original head.Just making it more user friendly,plan on riding it alot.Glad to see somebody else is same situation.I got a spare 68 motor with mine,wonder whats next.Have fun

Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212641 12/23/07 4:26 am
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Jay, any chance you'll sell that spare engine, or trade for something?

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212642 12/23/07 5:38 pm
Clanger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm seeing the front end of a Vincent in the right side of that last shot. Care to tell us about that!!?

Cheers Clanger

Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212643 12/23/07 9:27 pm
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Good eye Clanger!! its a 1949 Series C Black Shadow, about 90% stock, been doing some work on the always leaking Amals!!! and hunting down a stubborn oil leak, but it runs really well, also in the pics are my 62 Norton 650SS fitted with a rebuilt and hot rodded Combat Commando engine..one very loud obnoxious motor bike. awesome to ride tho ...for about an hour!!! really quick and nimble bike but at 55 years old the riding postion kills my back after about an hour!!!! my 1955 BMW R50 which is the worlds most slow and boring bike but it starts first kick every time!! and my everyday modern rider Ducati ST4. The Bonneville has always been a favorite bike of mine, so looking forward to getting this project finished and back on the road. What part of Northants are you Clanger? I used to live on the edge of the New Forest close to Ringwood, beautiful part of England.

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212644 12/24/07 11:25 am
Clanger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi Bobster,

Well my Brother has a '50 Black shadow, is a VOC member and all that, so I guess I am familiar with them. As regards the carbs he runs mk1 Concentrics on them, only because they were there when he bought it, We found that due to the weird angles they are mounted we had to set the float heights very carefully to suit each cylinder. He has the originals but they need re-sleeving... one day this will happen.

I'm currently writing up last years trip with it to the south of France. Maybe I will make it accessible to this site when it is done. I'm in northamptonshire, which is good biking country, though not quite as beautiful as the New Forest!

funnily enough my brother also has a 750 combat which goes like a rocket but not for long, and a 58 Dommie 99 which I think is the sweetest bike of that era to ride.

Cheers Clanger.

Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212645 12/25/07 11:42 pm
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I agree on the Dommie Clanger, they were and are very smooth for a verticle twin. Got a bunch of little parts for the Triumph, I found on eBay, delivered yesterday.. early Christmas Present for me!!! so will be able to make some more progress here... need to braze the oil tank bracket and also fabricate a couple more small brackets..still looking for a set of front forks and wheel, rear mudguard and a seat...
When I rigged the engine to run after I got the bike, it ran pretty good with no smoke or funny noises, so hopefully I wont have to do too much to that apart from a freshening up, etc.
Ok off to carve the Bird here now, Happy Holidays to all!!.. Cheers. Bob

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212646 12/28/07 5:04 am
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Got the petrol tank fitted up today and also fitted the steering head bearings, and yokes I found on eBay.. had to machine up new steering stops, fabricated a couple more brackets including the oil tank, brazed then up, making progress slowly, planned to have it all done by April, but still need a lot of pieces, so will see how the hunt for parts goes, will post some more pictures this weekend. Been very cold and raining here so not missing much riding time at least!!!!
Cheers. Bob

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212647 04/02/08 2:07 am
Bobster Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
progress so far.. almost finished!!! yes some things are not stock!! ( I know that) but a very presentable Bonnie for less then 2 grand.. as you can imagine from what I started with I had to go thru just about everything still have to fit air filters and a few small misc parts, but it runs great. put 20 miles on it today. I went thru the motor not too bad a shape considering the way the bike looked when I started... another one saved from the Junk pile!!!

[Linked Image]

!
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212648 04/02/08 4:05 pm
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Bobster
:bigt: :bigt:
Nice job . Now go enjoy it .
Geprge

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: 1970 Bonnie saved from the ????? #212649 04/03/08 12:41 am
J
jays375 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Looks pretty good to me.Don't think anybody wouldn't be happy to call that bike there own.Who cares if it isn't all original.If they saw what you started with,they wouldn't pick it apart.Now you say it only cost $2000 that makes it even better.Hope mine looks as good when finished. Nice Job

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO