BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
rosskuhns
rosskuhns
Columbus, Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (40 Below!), 270 guests, and 433 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet, Joe Bruney
10416 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 79
Triless 77
reverb 75
Stuart 70
Popular Topics(Views)
707,804 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,284
Posts664,768
Members10,416
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202517
02/22/07 3:21 pm
02/22/07 3:21 pm
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Although I only just met Tarvin this summer at the BSAOC Ralleye, I am too stunned by this news.

One day at the meet we were sitting around the camp and Tarvin was speaking (only in response to questions, BTW) of his family and his home (a farm if I remember right) and his various commitments and obligations and all of the extra-curricular stuff as well (like his impeccably restored Goldie), and I was amazed that any one person could find the time and energy to accomplish all that. Tarvin was a true gentleman and enthusiast and an inspiration to us all.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202518
02/22/07 8:04 pm
02/22/07 8:04 pm
Portland, Oregon
A
Aloniw Offline
BritBike Forum
Aloniw  Offline
BritBike Forum
A

Portland, Oregon
I just returned to find this and would like to add my condolences to Tarvin's Family, and his friends, of which there are many here. Like some of you I knew him only through his posts, and reading those, it is obvious that Tarvin was a real, genuine, person. He will be surely missed.

Time is short,

Tom

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202519
02/23/07 7:53 am
02/23/07 7:53 am
California
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
OH ****... I had been behind on my reading here... and this is NOT what I expected to find. I echo everyone's sentiments, Tarvin was truly a great guy, far too young to leave us, and a Goldie Guy to boot. As others have said, let me (us) know how we can help the family. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of his family, and those that Tarvin cared about, and now will miss him.

Ron

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202520
02/23/07 9:07 pm
02/23/07 9:07 pm
Tennessee
Fisherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Fisherman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Tennessee
Wasn't sure where to post this, here is as good a place as I can think of.

I bought a '68 T120 engine from Tarvin a couple weeks ago and got around to opening it up last night. Tarvin had said it looked like a good one and he believed it had been rebuilt recently by an older fellow who had been a britbike guy and had retired or passed away...

I told him I'd let him know of the condition of it when I got inside so....

The top end has recently been rebuilt, pistons .020 over, look nearly new as do the lifters. Jug and head look nearly perfect.

Here's a quote from Tarvin:

"SOLD........... to a gentleman and a scholar

(thanks Fisherman)

--------------------
GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
several basket case Triumphs"

Thanks again Tarvin,
I'll let you know what the bottom end looks like when I get in there....

Bernie

'Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience'

'72 TR6
'12 Hinckley Scrambler
'95 FLHTC Road Sofa
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202521
02/23/07 11:16 pm
02/23/07 11:16 pm
Northern KY
Ron T. in KY Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Ron T. in KY  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Northern KY
Well I'm a bit late in responding after Rich B. and I went to the Visitation on Sunday, but better late then not at all. It was a typical wake with a long line of family and friends, but we only knew two people there from when they visited Tarvin at VMD or OVBSAOC meets. I took the time Sunday morning to print out this thread and the pictures from sevral people's web shots albums and put it in a report binder and gave it to Denise, Tarvin's wife. I thought it would be nice for her to see how well regarded he was in our community. She was impressed and called me to thank me for it and say that it resolved a slight mystery. Apparently he failed to record the last check he wrote and low and behold, "Fisherman" in fact posted it was the excess shipping cost Tarvin had sent him a check for. beerchug

If you don't like change, you're going to hate extinction...
75' Commando
71' Bonneville
71' BSA Firebird
71' B50 Street tracker
62' BSA A10 Super rocket
60' BSA DBD Goldstar roller
97' Buell S3T
09' KTM 990 Adventure
00' Sherco 2.5
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202522
02/24/07 12:04 am
02/24/07 12:04 am
Vancouver, BC
T
Terrance of Cascadia Offline
BritBike Forum
Terrance of Cascadia  Offline
BritBike Forum
T

Vancouver, BC
I too would like to add my name to the list of folks who didn't actually know Tarvin, but wish that we'd had the opportunity. Judging by the posts here, he was definately "one of the good ones"...

I had an idea, if I may?
How about creating an annual memorial award, to be presented each year at VMD (or another appropriate event) to "Best GoldStar"...?
That way, each year Tarvin's name would be attached to the best Goldie at the event. It would be a nice way remember him.
Ron, Gordon, ... what do you guys think?
-Terry

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202523
02/25/07 5:23 am
02/25/07 5:23 am
hamden, ct.
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
hacksaw  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hamden, ct.
well terrance, i was gonna suggest something of that nature, even though i have yet to make it to VMD. but, with all the talk of guys having purchased triumph stuff from him , and the fact that many of us, myself included, know him thru these forums as a britbike.com guy rather than just a goldie guy, i wouldnt limit an award to just being based on a goldstar. obviously goldstars were his bag, but his forum presence was felt far beyond any one particular model. IMHO. did he partake in that one-kick contest i hear talked about? do you guys have a best in show of somesort?

ultimately, its best left up to the guys that knew him the best.

i am 55 and have 4 kids. one turns 5yo this week, and the youngest turned 1 just this past january. i also retire this week. so much was going thru my mind before even learned of this sad event. my point being i identify with gordons early comments about how most things are trivial compared to whats real in our relationships. we are lucky for so much, in this case our bikes, this forum, and the people involved here. i am in for whatever is decided.

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202524
02/27/07 2:11 pm
02/27/07 2:11 pm
PA
T
Tom PA Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tom PA  Offline
BritBike Forum member
T

PA
Wow, this totally brought me down today. Haven't been here for a while, and am totally bummed to see this thread. Had the pleasure of finally meeting Starvin in Brimfield after many years of Britbike and Pitstop exchanges. He was truly a good soul and these posts sure prove that. He touched a lot of people with his kindness and enthusiasm. Godspeed Tarvin...

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202525
02/17/08 3:41 pm
02/17/08 3:41 pm
United States, Iowa
D
Dennis MacKay Offline
BritBike Forum
Dennis MacKay  Offline
BritBike Forum
D

United States, Iowa
Hello all posting here who knew Tarvin, and those who did that havn't posted. Please forgive me if this seems out of line comming from one who never knew him, or exchanged conversation with him here. I mean no harm or offense at all in any way, if anyone takes it that way. "Real" people in this world, leave "real" gaps in their absence, and I feel without question reading these pages, that he was definitely one of the real people in this world. I cannot, for obvious reasons, feel the sorrow and loss that you good people do, but I can however feel your pains in reading these threads. I would like to offer up my condolences not only to his surviving family members, but to a group of very fine people here who also have loss at his passing. I was raised in a VERY small town in the most rural county in the state of Arkansas, very old fashioned, and very old world in it's ways. It was a town where everyone really knew everyone elses buisness as we all lived in such close proximity to one another, it was un avoidable to live otherwise. I am a newbie here, but I must express that I feel the same kinship here on these forums I have been on, that I do at home. It gives me the same feeling to read this as it does when I return to my hometown to visit and hear of another of the old patriarchs have passed on, people that have known me as long as I have been alive. Even though I knew nothing of the man other than what I have read here, I raise my glass to his memory as well, and gingerly offer only one small suggestion. From what I read of Tarvin, his commerades on wheels meant alot to him, so in his spirit, someone may think of organizing a memorial ride in his honor. Again, I appologize if I am overstepping any unseen boudries, and again offer my thoughts and prayers to not only his immediate, but his obvious extended family of fellow riders here. Bless you all.
sincerely, Dennis MacKay

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership