BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor
Alexandria, Virginia; U.S.A.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (40 Below!), 281 guests, and 404 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet, Joe Bruney
10416 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 79
Triless 77
reverb 75
Stuart 70
Popular Topics(Views)
707,804 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,284
Posts664,768
Members10,416
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202492
02/18/07 2:12 am
02/18/07 2:12 am
Camden NJ USA
Bob~NJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob~NJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Camden NJ USA
My condolences to family and friends from NJ

A65LB
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202493
02/18/07 2:19 am
02/18/07 2:19 am
North Georgia, USA
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Double Damn !

Some of you may remember that I had asked for help finding 1966 Thunderbird a year or more ago. I had really given up all hope or ever finding any more than a "box o' bits", in fact the thread was long over and done with.

Then one day this email shows up from "Goldstarvin" who wants to know if I was really serious. Seems he knew of an estate sale, but the next of kin (the neglected son) was fairly whacko. He had some idea that "the bike was worth $18,000". So we exchanged emails and phone calls a couple of times.

The seller was a true mental case. After the 3rd visit the seller told Tarvin never to come back. Tarvin called that evening to apologize, said that he was throwing in the towel... the guy was that difficult. Miraculously the seller had a change of heart 2 days later. After that 4th meeting, Tarvin asked me to send him a sizable check and he would see if he could get the seller into my price range. Let me tell you, sending a check that size to a person you have never met was a "hold your breath" experience. As it ended up, Tarvin had to go see the guy 6 times.

Well, he did get the bike and at the right price. Transported it home. Went by Home Depot and picked up straps and padlocks. Then transported it to the Airborne Freight depot and packed it off to me.

I'm glad he did, his intuition was spot on. The bike is a virgin 1 or 2 owner. Engine had never been disassembled; everything was there.

So the man I've never met did me a HUGE favor, and then went overboard. But that's not the end of the story...

Several weeks later, I get a magazine in the mail. I'm thinking, "What the heck is this?" It turned out to be a 1966 Motor Cycle with a rider's report on the 1966 Thunderbird. Enclosed is a small note saying, "Thought you might enjoy this. Tarvin"

What a guy. Iím still floored at his generosity and honesty. And to read about his passing tonight is simply overwhelming. He will be missed.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202494
02/18/07 2:20 am
02/18/07 2:20 am
NW PA
B
BOB in NW PA Offline
BritBike Forum member
BOB in NW PA  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

NW PA
Shocking news! Tarvin was stalwart in his support of the Ohio Valley B.S.A. Owners' Club, and the whole vintage motorcycle movement. Happy to have known you, friend. He truly will be sorely missed. Condolences to his entire family. Bob Kent, OVBSAOC #3 - Past President

Bob Kent
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202495
02/18/07 4:00 am
02/18/07 4:00 am
Washington State
W
Washington Bob Offline
BritBike Forum member
Washington Bob  Offline
BritBike Forum member
W

Washington State
Tarvin gone? What a sad day it is here in my beloved foothills of Washington State. We never met but shared many emails concerning GoldStar parts and pieces and their foibles. I have said it many times before in this forum...we meet the finest kind right here...and we are family and I considered him a brother. God speed brother.....
your foothills bro,
Washington Bob

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202496
02/18/07 6:50 am
02/18/07 6:50 am
hamden, ct.
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
hacksaw  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hamden, ct.
this sukks.

someone said tarvin has young daughters?

i know you guys lost a seriously good buddy.

the bsa singles community lost a true die hard fanantic.

and all of us here on britbike.com lost a chunk of our forum.

but man, those girls have to be in a world of hurt. his wife too, obviously.

i am 55 and got 4 kids. three of them daughters. the youngest are 1 and 5yo. maybe i think about this kinda thing to much, but when/if the time is right, would you guys that are closest to his family please let us know how they are, and if there is anything we can do. i guess there aint much we can do, but i am just blown away, and dont know what else to say except RIP Tarvin.

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202497
02/18/07 9:09 am
02/18/07 9:09 am
Houston,TX
Ton Up Les Offline
BritBike Forum
Ton Up Les  Offline
BritBike Forum

Houston,TX
That's sad news. However, he did touch a lot of your lives and a spirit like that will live on as long as there are people who remember him.

Life's too short.HAUL ***!!
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202498
02/18/07 11:19 am
02/18/07 11:19 am
Cornwall
NVNL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NVNL  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cornwall
May he rest in peace and ride in glory.

Richard

1981 T140ES
1969 T100C
1960 LE Velocette Mk3
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202499
02/18/07 11:45 am
02/18/07 11:45 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
That *is* a shock, and terribly bad news.

I never met Tarvin in the flesh, but we've emailed on and off for years, and I considered him a friend. He'll certainly be missed

Shane

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202500
02/18/07 2:20 pm
02/18/07 2:20 pm
East Bethany New York
Dick Harris Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

East Bethany New York
I read with shock and tears at Tarvins passing!! Iv'e Known Tarvin for many years and in all that time I remember him as the perfect host,aways going around making people feel comfortable. A nicer guy God hasn't made. If we can do anything for his wife and the girls, I'm in. Dick Harris OVBSAOC# 5

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202501
02/18/07 3:48 pm
02/18/07 3:48 pm
North Carolina
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Offline
Life Member
G

North Carolina
Everything seems so trivial right now with trying to cope with the pain of loosing our good friend Tarvin. But knowing him, he'd not want us to dwell on it to long. Even though...it's going to take a long time to get used to the fact that he's not here.

I've been thinking of something we could do as a group for his family...I'm still working on it.

One thing loosing Tarvin has done for me is to have me rethinking the friendships I have made on this site. Right now I'm "sort of" fighting with one of my good friends and I got to thinking that if one of us passed today...would I want the last things we said to each other to be in anger?? I cheerish the friendships I've made here...and the people I share those friendships with. I'm going to work a little harder to keep them close to me.

I'm proud to have known Tarvin and prouder to have considered him a friend. The last thing we talked about I'll keep with me for a long time..my memorys of him..will last forever.

Hurting in NC...rest in peace Tarvin...forever your friend...Gordon

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202502
02/18/07 4:24 pm
02/18/07 4:24 pm
Altoona, Florida
Mike Carter R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Mike Carter R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Altoona, Florida
Well said Gordon, I to have re-thought a bunch about my life and how I effect others...It was miserable here this morning but My brother Dave and I took the bikes out for a ride..we had company I am sure..I am also in for anything we can do to help the family They lost as good a father/husband as we did a friend..

Mike Carter

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202503
02/18/07 6:41 pm
02/18/07 6:41 pm
Winston-Salem N.C.
D
D.W.R. Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.W.R.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

Winston-Salem N.C.
I've been struggling for days to find words, or even to believe that there are any words to express my feelings at this time. I only knew Tarvin a few short years and saw him maybe 2-3 times a year. He seemed like an old friend after the first meeting and I looked for him at every subsequent event. As many others have expressed, he was indeed a very likable, careing and genuinely gentle man. My heart really goes out to his family. I went through a similar experiance many years ago, I lost a wife and the mother of my oldest daughter, who was 2 years old at the time. This is the hardest thing anyone could ever go through and his family needs all the help and support they can get. Sometimes you need to be alone, sometimes you need to be surounded by friends and family, sometimes you're alone in the midst of a well wishing crowd. Like I said, words just don't work, I don't know what to say, or how to say it. I know what I feel, "devistated" comes as close as anything I can think of. Whatever we do as Tarvins "Britbike family", lets put his wife and family at the forefront. I'm sure thats what he would have wanted, that's the kind of selfless guy he was.
I'm going to miss him.
Don R.

71 Rocket 3
72 B50 MX
66-71 A 65 Bitsa
96 Trident 900
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202504
02/18/07 7:02 pm
02/18/07 7:02 pm
Johnson City, TN
Daniel Boss Offline
BritBike Forum member
Daniel Boss  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Johnson City, TN
Tarvin was a 1st class peron and a total nice guy....His absence will be noticeable at the next Ohio Valley BSA OC rally. My condolences to his family and friends.

Daniel Boss
A10 SR Website
http://www.geocities.com/bsa_a10_sr
OVBSAOC Website
http://www.geocities.com/ovbsa
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202505
02/18/07 11:14 pm
02/18/07 11:14 pm
BC Canada
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
441/R3cafeSteve  Offline
BritBike Forum member

BC Canada
People tell me sometimes you should'nt go on rides alone, but when I think of great guys like GSTarvin cut short in their years of riding we never ride alone they are with us always in everything we do.
I said this on another board, it's our duty to enjoy life & the bikes for those who can't anymore.
Steve

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202506
02/19/07 12:35 am
02/19/07 12:35 am
Westminster, MD, USA
J
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

Westminster, MD, USA
I did not know Tarvin. I did not even know of Tarvin until his passing. But anyone who can inspire such an outpouring of heartfelt anguish, remembrances, and warmth had to be a great guy. I wish I had known him.

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202507
02/19/07 11:51 am
02/19/07 11:51 am
N.E England
HARRYKUK Offline
BritBike Forum member
HARRYKUK  Offline
BritBike Forum member

N.E England
Folks!..Just caught this thread and must admit to typing this with more than a little moisture in my eyes.
Please , someone , somehow, convey my heartfelt , deepest condolances to Tarvins fammily and all who loved him. Mrs. P. and the girls are particularly in my thaughts at this time.

I regret never haveing met Tarvi in person, but I did have the pleasure of comunicating via emails on a number of occasions and via this board.
Tarvin purchased some of my GS eBay items and I also made up and aquired some other items for him. Our dealings resulted in a cyber freindship which I valued way beyond the mere commercial.

In his comunications it was obviouse that Tarvin was indeed " the definetive nice guy " and indeed a true gentleman. He often mentioned "his girls " in a way in which left no doubt as to the deep love, dedication and devotion he held for them.

A little bit of Tarvin lives on in all of us.
Tarvin has touched many lives in various ways. At each encounter, some of him has rubbed off, to influence all that have Known him, to leave us individually and collectively better off. There is no doubt that this world is a much better place because of Tarvin.

RIP Tarvin, (and thank you for being Tarvin clap )

HarryKUK

Board members/ Admin. I will be more than willing to contribute to any fund that may be set up for rememberance or fammily support. Please let me know via email or this board .

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202508
02/19/07 2:33 pm
02/19/07 2:33 pm
London United Kingdom
meriden4ever Offline
BritBike Forum member
meriden4ever  Offline
BritBike Forum member

London United Kingdom
A gentleman indeed

I put out a request for help receiving an eBay item in the US to post out to the UK and of the two Britbikers who replied, Tarvin was one. He said he was planning to go to the TT and was repaying in advance the kindness he'd be shown there ...

Life's too short to meet all your friends ...
frown

Naturally my condolences and sympathy to his loved ones

1983 TR65T Tiger Trail
1983 TSSAV
1983 TSX
1983 TR65 Thunderbird
1982 TR7T Tiger Trail
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202509
02/19/07 3:25 pm
02/19/07 3:25 pm
middlesex county, New Jersey
Hank Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hank  Offline
BritBike Forum member

middlesex county, New Jersey
may you rest in peace.you and your family will be in my prayers.
Hank

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202510
02/20/07 1:07 am
02/20/07 1:07 am
vancouver,b.c.
black13 Offline
BritBike Forum member
black13  Offline
BritBike Forum member

vancouver,b.c.
Like they say "THE GOOD DIE YOUNG".....i never met the man but what i have read i sure wished i did !!!......"rest in piece my friend" ....DEAN

"HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM"
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202511
02/20/07 2:12 am
02/20/07 2:12 am
Houston Texas
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
Thanks Harry as a close friend of mine(hoping not to sound too presumptious) for taking the time to compose such a thoughtfull tribute to Tarvin.

Although you have have never met Tarvin,its obvious that his personality and honesty, that we also much admire, came though so clearly on your dealings with him.

P.S. Along with Harry, and many other Britbikers,I also would like to contribute to any fund being organised by the usual unselfish Britbiker organisers who always seem to come to the fore and who upon we rely so heavily at tragic times like this.

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202512
02/20/07 3:05 am
02/20/07 3:05 am
North Carolina
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Offline
Life Member
G

North Carolina
Bodger...and everybody else interested.

We are working on a way to get something to Tarvin's family. I have been moving forward on it since the weekend. I'm still waiting on some more input but think we have things pretty much ironed out and will post something about it ASAP...hopefully by the end of the week.

We're trying to put something together to help the family and to give us something to remember him by.

I think it is something we all want to do...one way or the other.

More details to follow...Gordon in NC

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202513
02/20/07 10:06 pm
02/20/07 10:06 pm
Akron, OH
E
Ed Vanaman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ed Vanaman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Akron, OH
I just met Tarvin last week. I purchased a 59 Bonneville motor from him for a Triton project. He told me about this forum. Seemed like a really great guy, I was looking forward to getting to know him better. He told me of his plans to go to the Isle of Mann, and showed me his plaques,trophies, and his Goldstars. When I went in his house I asked him if his house was the neighbor hood hangout when I saw all the kids shoes at the door, He said he had four daughters. My prayers will be with his wife and kids. Godspeed to Tarvin.

Ed Vanaman

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202514
02/20/07 11:08 pm
02/20/07 11:08 pm
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
I am just gassed. I cannot believe this news. We talked about his bikes and his daughters last time we met. What a terrible shame. Gordon, let me know how I can help.

Mr Mike

Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202515
02/21/07 1:57 am
02/21/07 1:57 am
Toronto, Canada
BruceinT.O. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BruceinT.O.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Canada
My thoughts and prayers to his wife and daughters.
Seems the Gentleman made his mark here and earned many friends.
That IS something you take with you.

Bruce

1968 Triumph Trophy
Re: We have lost a Good Friend...Tarvin Porter #202516
02/21/07 3:42 pm
02/21/07 3:42 pm
Eugene, OR
Carlo Offline
BritBike Forum member
Carlo  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Eugene, OR
I never knew Tarvin. My heart goes out to friends and family, particularly his children.
No child should have to suffer loss of a parent.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership