BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tinker Tom
Tinker Tom
Texas USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
turflok, Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton, Alex Lynch
10778 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 129
NickL 62
DavidP 56
MarcB 52
Popular Topics(Views)
950,088 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,517
Posts675,828
Members10,778
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Adam M.), 501 guests, and 817 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Triton Picture #197850 01/19/07 12:47 pm
M
Mole Man Offline OP
BritBike Forum
OP Offline
BritBike Forum
M
Hi Picture of my Triton, (if the link works ! )

web page fotothing

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Triton Picture #197851 01/19/07 7:56 pm
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
That's nice!

[Linked Image]

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Triton Picture #197852 01/19/07 8:23 pm
J
J. Charles Smith Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
J
VERY nice! Perfect classic look - love the fork boots and beauty ring on the front brake (Tickle conversion?).

Re: Triton Picture #197853 01/19/07 10:33 pm
J
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
J
Definitely "[email protected]@K, kids - shiney!!!" But it does contribute greatly to the period look. And after all, the evocative era (aura?) is one of the reasons we're all into older bikes.

Re: Triton Picture #197854 01/19/07 11:05 pm
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally posted by panic:
I wonder what they were thinking when they made those, was it "this is a real racing part, but only useful if you have a fade problem after repeated stops from 160 mph", or "[email protected]@K, kids - shiney!!!"
I guess some racing guy welded heat sinks/dissipators to his hub, so useless screw-on ones immediately appeared on the custom market.

But you know this.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Triton Picture #197855 01/19/07 11:53 pm
blimey-bill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Bacon slicers certainly look the part on a cafe style bike. I don't know how effective they are on a street ridden machine though.

'67 BSA Spitfire
'68 Commando Fastback
'75 T160 Trident
'02 Moto Guzzi LeMans
Re: Triton Picture #197856 01/20/07 12:40 am
B
beltdriveman Offline
BritBike Forum
BritBike Forum
B
How nice to see a decent looking oil tank with the curves to follow the frame curve as per 50s Manx rather than that ugly looking crap with a straight bit there.

Muffs were used on British race bikes which had prety crap brakes. The idea was to remove more fade creating heat. As I remember it they were SHRUNK on the drums and made from 1/4 ish alloy plate and once fitted tapered like a cooling fin which is what they were. Watched Tommy Mortimer shrink and turn a few cooling fins to Manx G50 and 7R drums for Francis Beart etc in my more youthful days. Of course as Jack Williams had visited Dunlop in 1949/50 to look at the disc brakes they were playing with I suspect that had he of had his way 7Rs and G50s would of had decent front brakes from the mid 50s on. Certainly his design note book of the time included pages of braking calculations......
The bolt on crap is exactly that.
Personally I never found the shrunk on discs made any noticable difference to fade on my road bikes.
Mind you neither did the jump from single leader /trailing with std linings to AM4 linings then to twin leader and then double sided twin leader.... Sure each one was an improvement but not after a few days when one had learnt one could leave ones braking later and later......Fade occured just the same.....

Re: Triton Picture #197857 01/20/07 3:28 am
N
norcallightning Offline
BritBike Forum
BritBike Forum
N
so far my favorite cooling rings are shrunk to fit between the spokes,ive heard that they can cause temp differences in the hub and cause distortion of the hope,if thats true or not i dont know

the other version is a 1 piece hub/ring from taylor dow

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

64/58 NORBSA
RE 500 bullet
Re: Triton Picture #197858 01/20/07 11:36 am
M
Mole Man Offline OP
BritBike Forum
OP Offline
BritBike Forum
M
Hi Glad that the pic worked and Thanks for the comments, I think that the bacon slicers are just a cosmetic thing, but do think they finish the wheel of really nice and give me something else to keep shiny !, the TLS is a John Tickle unit and ive never had any problems stopping with it, its 90% of the braking that i use, i do find the standard rear Norton unit lacking a bit.

Re: Triton Picture #197859 01/21/07 12:43 am
N
Nardi1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Bacon slicers rule
[Linked Image]

Re: Triton Picture #197860 01/22/07 5:05 pm
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
just for once i agree with panic :
that bike is certainly not fit for a race track and useless on the road .
I bet it got there on a trailer .
(look at the colour of the pipes)

Re: Triton Picture #197861 01/22/07 6:52 pm
J
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
J
There are many ways to approach this thing we call motorcycles. Obviously, since they are functional machines, one way is from a purely engineering perspective. This, as an engineer, is panic's default position. Another, and to my mind, semi-equally viable way, it from an aesthetic or artistic perspective. I would have personally done several things differently on the cafe racer in question, including all of those mentioned by panic (and I don't like red frames on britbikes, either ... except for maybe red Rapides). And I, too, suspect this bike was trailered in. But I don't really see anything wrong with that, because I strongly suspect the owner has other bikes that are both more functional and more ridden. This bike is meant to be artwork, and only the most banal art is universally appealing. This bike is not banal. The bacon slicers are an excellent example of the aesthetic approach. They are almost totally nonfunctional (as panic mentions, they actually have some detrimental effects), but they hark back to a period that this bike is meant to evoke, and therefore fit this bike just fine. If we're to take a position that bikes have to be purely functional, then every rigid bobber or chopper, every extended front end or small headlight, and every set of breaker points eek becomes a target for derision!

Re: Triton Picture #197862 01/22/07 7:54 pm
Fisherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally posted by J. Charles Smith:
If we're to take a position that bikes have to be purely functional, then every rigid bobber or chopper, every extended front end or small headlight, and every set of breaker points eek becomes a target for derision!
You mean they're not already!?!?

Bernie

'Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience'

'72 TR6
'12 Hinckley Scrambler
'95 FLHTC Road Sofa
Re: Triton Picture #197863 01/22/07 8:26 pm
F
flgoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
OK, everyone . . . take a deep breath and repeat after me . . . Good thoughts, Good words, Good deeds . . . Good Kharma.

Floyd (Member: ThreeMustGetBeers)

There are no demons inside my helmet; only the magic of the Universe gliding past my every sense.
1951 BSA C11(Leaky Lena)
2010 BMW G650 GS(Scarlett)
Re: Triton Picture #197865 01/22/07 11:22 pm
GOLD S-TARvin R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hey Mole Man,
Super Good looking Triton ! Every Detail that I can see is pleasing. I hope you will enjoy riding it.
Personally I like the "look" of the (non- functional) cooling rings, _IF_ they are on machine that meets certain conditions or personal taste.

Other good examples are on pages 36 and 40 of "The Gold Star Book"

BTW I know the gent who owns the GS on page 40.
He doesn't care about unsprung weight issues.
2c

GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
several basket case Triumphs
Re: Triton Picture #197866 01/23/07 2:48 am
N
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Hey Nardi1 disregard the nay sayers. Its gorgeous despite being a red slimline. I've loved Tritons for a long time now and there is nothing wrong with yours. I could ride it all day. My butt is used to no padding and the stretch to the bars makes my back feel good. Bugger them all.

God rides a Triumph but wishes it was a Norton.
Re: Triton Picture #197867 01/23/07 3:40 am
BrianFromOz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Ill have any of those bikes parked in my garage any time :bigt:

"What are you rebelling against?
What have you got?"

77 T140V

Is Your Bike Here?
MembersBikesBritBikeForum
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/MembersBikesBritBikeForum/
Re: Triton Picture #197868 01/23/07 6:21 am
N
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
In the 60s the "cafe racer" scene produced a lot of "suppliers" of parts. I remember seeing bolt on slicers. 19/6 a pair I believe. On a Nardi's Triton they are not out of place. Tons of stuff was available for everything right down to Bantams. With the exception of the belt primary and diaphragm clutch Nardi's Triton is spot on. And there is no harm in having those items on his Triton. Makes sense. Cleaner more reliable and from what I've heard about diaphragm clutches they are dead light to operate. The Ace Cafe is gone. True there is a replica. Dave Degens original Triton was a Manx frame and a single carb Triumph motor. Does that make all Tritons that don't use a Manx frame or motors that don't have a single carb phonies?

Re: Triton Picture #197869 01/23/07 7:14 am
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
This bike is meant to be artwork,
(rolled of a trailer)
if so , then why bother putting expensive internals in the engine ?
would you equally admire it if you knew it had a wooden stub instead of a crankshaft ?
I believe everything should be what it pretends to be . If not , it's a fake .

Re: Triton Picture #197870 01/23/07 7:56 am
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I like the bacon slicers and will be cutting smaller hole ones soon on the waterjet machine but I think that "bolt on" shiney can relate to gas tanks and off the shelf cafe stuff as well. I am making a cafe tank over 4gal now out of a Rickman tank and that is more the custom I think cafe is about...plus some blng I guess even back then they studded their jackets and dressed up posh-like and I am sure most used bailing wire somewhere [Linked Image] .
Steve

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Re: Triton Picture #197871 01/23/07 3:39 pm
J
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
J
Ludwig: You take "artwork" too literally. It's not just what you see. In the case of custom motorcycles, the art extends to what's inside the engine. In fact, the lack of function also extends to things like hot cams, shiny ports and balanced cranks, in the sense that the additional performance may be seldom, or never used. Besides, you are losing sight of the original point. The red-framed bike was very obviously meant to be a pretty showpiece. That does not mean it is disfunctional. The fact that it has no front fender was the owner/builders choice, and maybe it's never ridden except in the middle of extended droughts! That, the open primary, the bacon slicers, the pancake air filters, are all the owner's choice, which was my point. It is easy to look at our fellows' bikes and find things to nitpic. Yes, some flaws are worth pointing out, and my personal feeling is that proper engineering is a must. But pure functionality simply is not, or else we would all be advocating spray-bomb paint jobs.

Re: Triton Picture #197872 01/23/07 4:25 pm
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
JC Smith , you are right .
I am too harsh .
Let the owner decide .

Re: Triton Picture #197873 01/24/07 5:41 am
N
noisy norton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Looking back at Nardi1's Triton and reading some of the remarks I would like to say that if I, and many others back in the 60s, had have had the money and the skill to build such a machine we would have done so and ridden it proudly. Tritons are something like '32 Ford roadsters. They have been around a long time and everyone is the same but different. Each builder builds it his way. Nadri1's Triton is his Triton and to me Tritons are art. His Triton is the same as other Tritons but different because its his and he built it his way. Were he to give me all those parts and have me assemble it it would turn out like you see it but it would be slightly different because I would make a number of minor changes. Changes to my taste nothing more. There is something sadly wrong when we get to nitpicking a beautiful machine.

Re: Triton Picture #197874 01/24/07 9:16 am
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
nn ,
is't a " Triton " strictly a Triumph engine in a featherbed frame ?
(or am I wrong again ? )

Re: Triton Picture #197875 01/24/07 5:54 pm
D
Duncan Fairley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
I can't see how anyone would disqualy a unit Triumph engine in a featherbed. As the 500cc unit lump came out in 59, there would be plenty around to slot into a featherbed in the early 60s.

441, I love the way that tank's coming together. Good luck to you mate. I wish my tig welding was so good I would take on a task like that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership