BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
6V or 12V for J2
#152727 08/28/07 3:46 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I am starting to put the electrics into my J2 but I haven't bought a battery or a voltage regulator yet. From what I have read I could stick with the original 6V system or go to a 12V. From what I have read, the dyno will put out in excess of 12V but at a higher RPM so I can just put in a 12V regulator and it would charge up a 12V battery...is that true?

Will 12V bulbs fit in the light sockets?

I am leaning toward the 12V system because it seems like I would have a wider selection of batteries, bulbs (including LED), and modern solid state vultage regulators from Jap bikes.

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 6V or 12V for J2
#152728 08/28/07 3:59 pm
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I have been over this same question with a BSA . From all the onfo I have gathered , there seems to be field coils that will retrfit the E3L dynamo as well as an armature , to accomodate 12V electrics . This also seems to put out less current , from what I am deciphering , and needs more RPM?? I dont know if your bike has an E3L or not, but after all i have read , I am confident that 6 V system , with a healthy dynamo , will do the job just fine. As far as uprated electrics , my bike is fitted with a Lucas mag so the dyno is only responsible for lighting, I am counting on the stock headlamp and I have a couple of the pos ground led tail lamps from bulbs that last forever , these should save some current draw and be a bit brighter ?? I am also contemplating using a solid state rectifier that is offered for the older H-D machines , I havent ooked into them yet , but they sound like they will save on some trons and be smaller, more reliable in the bargain .

This is all based on theory and conjecture , I have seen all of this work on various bikes , with the exception of the regulator I mentioned , so I have some confidence with it.

FWIW-BONZO

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership