BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bud O, knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson
11024 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 74
koan58 62
Rohan 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,155,466 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,996
Posts691,414
Members11,024
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (AML), 2,650 guests, and 977 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145527 07/24/08 4:37 am
Buster Conrod Offline OP
BritBike Forum
OP Offline
BritBike Forum
I know there are a thousand posts and 2000 opinions on what oil we should be running in our vintage Triumphs, but is anyone running Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic 20W-50? It says on the label that it is OK for use with wet clutches but should I believe that? Two things I don't usually believe; the petroleum industry and my government. Come to think of it that is really only one thing.
Anyway, my bike is recently rebuilt, tight and leak free, and I would like to keep it that way, mindful of the reputation of synthetic oils making leaks worse.
For what it is worth, it was the only oil I saw in Sprawl-Mart that had a diesel rating; some guys say we should be running diesel rated oil in our bikes. BTW, it is darn pricey stuff.

1970 TR6R Dry Frame Silver and Blue, Prettiest bike ever....
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145528 07/24/08 6:01 am
johnnyrvf Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi Buster, can't help with that specific package, I can say I ran 15/50 Mobil 1 in a T150 and the bike loved it, no oil leaks either, as to the clutch they run dry on a triple so I , obviously, had no problems, engine protection was brillian with no discernable wear and no smoking in the 10K miles I had the bike and the insides were always spotless. It might be worth contacting Mobil direct to speak with them about any worries you have over the clutch. Johnny

What d'ya mean it won't rev to 10?
1965 BSA A65D Lightning Rocket
1976 K*w*s*ki Z900.
1978 Triumph Bonn3ville (930 T160 Powered T140)
1988 H*nd* RC30
1990 Moto Guzzi California 3
1993 Y*m*h* TDM 850
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145529 07/24/08 8:19 am
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
You say your bike doesn't leak. That makes me think you've run it in and have no clutch slip with mineral oil. I say try Mobil One and if it makes your clutch slip then clean the plates and stop using synthetic. You won't have done any harm.

Your own experience will be worth more than all our internet opinions.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145530 07/24/08 10:32 am
Melbourne Metisse Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
"some guys say we should be running diesel rated oil in our bikes"

Not a great idea, IMHO. Diesel oils have very high detergent levels, something our bikes don't particularly need. Try for SF or SG rated 20W-50 and change it every 1500 miles or so if you don't want to lash out on very expensive synthetics. Mind you the syns ought to be good for 10K+ mile oil change intervals if properly filtered and you are doing plenty of riding.

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145531 07/24/08 10:52 am
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
:g: I run Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w50 in the GreenMonster along with a dash of good old fashioned STP in the summer/city heat for engine and trani. The fork fluid and primary survive on a steady diet of Type F Mercon.

The engine trani. and MAP orange clutch are all very happy you could also use the Lucas 20W50 heavy duty racing oil if you can find it.

Colder months I go back to Mobil Delvac 15W40 diesel oil.

NO matter what you run for a wet clutch the type F atf seems to be the prefered choice, engine oils today and most ATF's have to many slipper agents added.

Good Night and Good Luck Signed GreenMonster

Good Night and Good Luck Signed GreenMonster
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145532 07/24/08 11:36 am
B
bodine031 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
diesel oil has ZDDP look it up and make your choice.mobil 1 for motorcyles or any motorcycle full syn is fine. price of oil vs price of engine/trans rebuild i'd rather spend $$ on good oil and change it 1500/2000 miles

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145533 07/24/08 12:53 pm
T
tomterrific Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
I have Mobile One 15w-50 in my T140. I have terrible clutch sticking problems. The old method of kicking the clutch loose is laughable, it is stuck but good! I need to idle the bike with the clutch lever held in with a tie and rev the engine several times to over 4000 rpm before I can get the bike into gear. The clutch works great as soon as it breaks free. I wondered if a different oil would be better?

I bought some oil additive being closed out for 90 cents a bottle. I didn't know what the stuff was and it is an off-brand but had a zinc and phosphorous warning so I bought it hoping for ZDDP. I dropped only a glop into the frame to try it out and from that point on the clutch sticks much less. I can't kick it with the lever held in now because the chance the clutch will break free and I'll hurt my leg again. The clutch works fine both before and after the addition of the glop.

Why does so little of this stuff work to help my clutch? Opinions welcome.

Tom Graham

PS...The Mobile One seems to have the same tune running cooler than the conventional 20w-50 I ran before.

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145534 07/24/08 2:28 pm
Buster Conrod Offline OP
BritBike Forum
OP Offline
BritBike Forum
Hey Green Monster, my year has the three tiny drain holes and the primary shares the engine oil - so running Type F is not an option for me. What I was trying to get at is, the Mobil 1 V-Twin label says it is OK with wet clutches; did any of you guys with machines that share the engine oil in the primary have slippage problems with this product? The product is clearly aimed at Hardly-Ablesons but are their wet clutch plates even remotely like the (new) one in my nearly 40 year old Triumph? I would hate to contaminate my nice new plates and spend valuable riding time in disassembly/cleaning.
I am like Detective Monk with my bike, very compulsive, change oil often, and I think I may just stay with the Castrol GTX 20W-50 that I am running now, given the cost of Mobil 1 V-Twin. The main benefit to Mobil 1 is longer oil change intervals, which would be a waste of its talents and my money as I change oil so often.
Add to that the fact that I am dry and running fine means stay with what works.

Thanks

1970 TR6R Dry Frame Silver and Blue, Prettiest bike ever....
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145535 07/24/08 3:05 pm
Ton Up Les Offline
BritBike Forum
BritBike Forum
I've used Mobil 1 4T and Amsoil 10w40 and they both passed the clutch test. I stuck to the OEM plates and sand blasted the steel ones. With non 4T oil they slipped a bit but after the oil change they don't slip at all and I really tried. You should be running a filter with ANY detergent oil.

Life's too short.HAUL ***!!
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145536 07/24/08 3:12 pm
J
JBMorris Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Buster,
Am running Mobile 1 V-twin oil in a 78 bonnie.
After reviewing many posts here, decided on MAP clutch plates, with their ball bearing pressure plate.
Works great wet and first gear "sniks" into engagement .
Am also using type 5 silicon brake fluid with no problems.

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145537 07/24/08 3:21 pm
B
btour Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi All,

I am interested in this discussion of Mobil 1.

I am not sure longer changing intervals are in order. Oil will still get contaminated with unburned gas and products of combustion.

But there might be a real benefit to synthetic: True multi-viscosity vs dino oil. Anyone else's oil pressure warning light flicker at 500 to 1000 idle on hot days, or after hard run? I suspect the viscosity of Castrol 20/50, which I use and have used for a long time.

I would go with straight 50, except for sharing that oil with the clutch.

Now anyone with experience with the Mobil 1 that Buster mentions, and shared primaries, and can relate that to clutch performance. I understand completely where he is coming from.

There is another synthetic for bikes called Spectro.

With dino oils we have to worry about friction modifiers. Sometimes the oils list them as having been added sometimes not. Valoline racing says it does, but which ones. Moly is no good for the clutch. Zinc is a friction modifier, that is good.
Phosphorous? Sulfur? Eats yellow metal. Try finding out what they are putting in the bottle. Good luck. And what they do today can change tomorrow, without notice.

This is one of the problems that results because the engine oil, is shared with the primary, because the engine breaths through primary, and because the oils have changed since that change was introduced.

It may have been a fine idea at the time, but...

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145538 07/24/08 4:43 pm
D
dave jones Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
In the UK Mobil 1 bike oil is called Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W/ 50 and it has an API of SG which means it should work with a wet clutch although I have never used it.

I phoned up the Mobil 1 help desk once when I was considering using it and asked if I could extend the oil change mileage if I used this oil. He said best to stick to the book recommendations (maybe to cover himself). There is a chap called Kim in Hawaii who posts on here and he doubles the mileage but to cover myself I can't condone it! smile .

Dave

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145539 07/24/08 8:02 pm
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If you could be sure that say, using Mobile 1 and doubling your oil change interval meant that on average the quality of your lubrication was the same as with mineral oil, then would you do it?

Personally, I would use such an expensive oil as a possible way of reducing wear in the engine and hence delaying the next rebuild/regring/rebore.

Trouble is, I don't think that we can be sure of the effect of stretching the change interval.

Hmmm.

Blapper redwine

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145540 07/24/08 11:42 pm
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally posted by Buster Conrod:
...but is anyone running Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic 20W-50?
I have run both the car type 15W50 M-1 and the 20-50 V-Twin stuff. The stock clutches in 2 different Brit bikes did not like the M-1 and soon began to slip. So on a 1970 model running M-1 MAY be an issue for you.

However, there's only one way to find out and that's to run it and see. If it starts to slip then go back to regular mineral oil. One reason to experiment is that you may have newer non-Brit manufacture plates that may not be susceptible.

Originally posted by Buster Conrod:
It says on the label that it is OK for use with wet clutches but should I believe that?
That means it OK for Jap type clutches on Hondas and Yamaguchis, not the .0005% of the motorcycle world that rides 40 yo Brit bikes.

:bigt:

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145541 07/24/08 11:42 pm
A
Alan in TN Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
When I first got the “old brown cow” I used Mobil 1 15W50 same as I use in my 1991 Mercury Capri with turbo. Very soon my clutch began acting up. I then tried the very expensive Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50 and all the clutch problems went away. It always seemed to run a little on the cool side (~160°F) so in the fall I switched to the same oil but the 10W40 and it ran much better. If you can stomach the $8.50 or so price tag it is good oil. It has the additive package that our bikes need.

I am going to try some Amsoil this summer and see if it performs the same as the Mobil 1 does. I have always found that if you write to their customer service gurus they will tell you that they have the best product under the sun. Therefore, I generally go by trial and error to find what works and doesn’t.

It seems that running heavier weight oil is detrimental if it can’t get up to the appropriate temperature.

Just my
2c

Alan

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145542 08/14/08 1:15 am
John Cahill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I just tried a tankful of Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50 and developed a couple little trickle leaks. Changing back to Castrol 20/50 cured the leaks. Not much else to say...except glad those leaks were reversible *grin*

1979 1/2 Bonneville T140E
1993 Mazda Miata
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145543 08/14/08 6:36 am
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi John,

Very interesting. Where did the leaks come and go from?

Blapper redwine

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145544 08/16/08 8:09 am
John Cahill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
hi, Blapper
I was getting leaks from the bottom seam/midcase, from the bases of the rocker boxes, the tach drive (I think it was originating there, but could have been at the cylinder bases), the cylinder base and the rod tubes at the base. Not a lot...but weeping that could accumulate over a 40 minute ride. It also seemed to keep getting worse *grin* I changed back after 500 miles on the Mobil and saw improvement on the first ride, but still some weeping at the front rocker box and the cylinder base. After several thermal cycles of maybe 20-30 minutes each...there is only a little wetness showing up at the base of the rod tubes, mostly the rear one. This probably sounds a little nutty...but that's my experience. I read the earlier post of the synthetic molecules being more likely drag their friends along with them...that's the only explanation that seems to match what happened. The whole top end has been recently redone and retorgued 3 times, and with new gaskets each time (well rocker boxes anyway). Meanwhile, to address that other issue...I have no clutch slipping or grabbing with either the Mobil 1 or the Castrol GTX.

1993 Mazda Miata
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145545 08/16/08 8:19 am
John Cahill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
PS the amount of weeping at its worst was maybe a thimbleful in total after an hour's ride. I may have overblown this in my earlier description...I just hate oil leaks. Now I am only seeing a little wetness/glistening at the base of the rod tubes.

1993 Mazda Miata
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145546 08/16/08 4:03 pm
meatwagon Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Buster I have run the Vtwin 20/50 in my modern bonnie (wet clutch)for 20,000 + miles with no clutch issues at all.
I may run my t140 with the same as soon as I install the oil cleaner kit,but it's castrol 20/50 for now.

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145547 08/16/08 9:50 pm
M
matnab Offline
BritBike Forum
BritBike Forum
M
A few years ago I went to an open day at BP (Castrol) R+D centre where they test their lubricants and petrol (gas)for both racing and road use.
They had over a dozen engines on 24 hour or longer run test,
Motorcycles were BMW R1200, Honda cbr600, and C50, (lol clutch slip test) .
So I had to ask the question, is it worth using synthetic oil on sobb (****eoldbritbikes)
The answer was no, they just were not made to the same tolerances as modern engines, that’s why they make a range of classic oils specifically for pre 70 or 80s engines.

Mike

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145548 08/16/08 10:33 pm
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally posted by matnab:

So I had to ask the question, is it worth using synthetic oil on sobb (****eoldbritbikes)
The answer was no, they just were not made to the same tolerances as modern engines, that’s why they make a range of classic oils specifically for pre 70 or 80s engines.

Mike
Their answer was meaningless. Why are their "classic" oils better for old engines?

If synthetic lubricates better, what have tolerances got to do with it?

I'm not trying to bug you: I just doubt the motives of oil salesmen.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145549 08/17/08 11:20 pm
M
matnab Offline
BritBike Forum
BritBike Forum
M
quote:Originally posted by matnab:

Mike

Their answer was meaningless. Why are their "classic" oils better for old engines?

If synthetic lubricates better, what have tolerances got to do with it?

I'm not trying to bug you: I just doubt the motives of oil salesmen.
[/QUOTE]

This was not from a salesman but one of the lab technicians showing people round the R+D facility.

The second question was most modern car engines now seem to be able to do huge mileage without a rebuild compared to the 70s.
Is this due to improvements in oil technology or engine design and manufacturing.
Answer was 15% oil the rest in engine manufacture.
The biggest gain in oil technology has been the ability to decrees oil change frequency without affecting the oils performance.

However I should point out this conversation was a few years ago
This
http://tinyurl.com/55j8f2
is perhaps more uptodate and relevant to Triumph motorcycles.

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145550 08/18/08 6:39 am
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Matnab, your link doesn't work. Please edit and replace with the full URL.

Blapper redwine

Re: Mobil 1 Oil - Your experiences #145551 08/18/08 10:26 pm
M
matnab Offline
BritBike Forum
BritBike Forum
M
Matnab, your link doesn't work. Please edit and replace with the full URL.

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=62390

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership