BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Servodyne
Servodyne
England
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson, bikerboy
11023 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
koan58 68
DavidP 64
Rohan 51
Popular Topics(Views)
1,150,777 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,980
Posts691,293
Members11,023
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
48 registered members (Beach), 1,576 guests, and 1,003 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143384 06/23/08 12:38 am
J
Jim Knight Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
The subject bike is a 1967 T-120R, restored by somebody (unknown to me) and with unknown miles since restoration (The speedo was broken when purchased). Conventional points ignition and AMAL Concentric carbs are fitted. Recently purchased by me, the bike has several kinks to work out, but I’ll start with the most alarming problem. After a few minutes of warming up, at about ¾ throttle under a mild load, one or both cylinders just quit. No coughing, missing, or sputtering, they just die. After a minute or so, I can get both cylinders back running and ride home. This has happened now five timers. The plugs after these run are a little sooted around the margins, but I think that richness is mainly in the idle circuit (another problem for later). The plugs also seem really hot, making me dread overheating, but I may be making this up.

Guys, I hope this rings a bell, and I need suggestions for a basic approach to it, i.e., what to check first versus second or third. I can tell you what seems okay: gas (new), air filters clean, plugs are new, points work and are properly gapped, alternator serving plenty of amps to the electrical system. The bike starts, idles fine and sounds fine when revved. I have not yet re-timed the engine (new TDC indicator is on the way), nor have I had time to adjust the valves. I haven’t looked into carb jetting because frankly, I’m need to be convinced that carburation is really the problem before I get into re-jetting. Thoughts?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143385 06/23/08 12:53 am
W
Woody1911a1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W
just a thought , fuel delivery . check petcock filters and the filter in the banjo fitting at the carb . float and needle . a full float bowl will get you up the road about a quarter mile .

like i said , just a thought . smile

Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143386 06/23/08 1:19 am
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Gas cap vent clear?

How hot are coils when this happens?

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143387 06/23/08 1:33 am
D
drp Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Have you considered (or did you replace) the condensers? (new ones not NOS). I am running points and my Triumph runs like cr*p on old weak condensers. They usually get worse as they get hotter.

Dave

Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143388 06/23/08 1:35 am
J
Jim Knight Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Haven't checked either one yet. Will next time out. What would you say if the coils do seem too hot?

Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143389 06/23/08 2:01 am
J
Jim Knight Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
I have not replaced the condensers but it's probably a good idea on this bike, with so many unknowns. Thanks.

Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143390 06/23/08 4:29 am
aceaceca Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The connections to the amp meter and the guage itself. All power goes through there so if loose on the amp studs, no power. Mine did the same thing. I replaced the amp guage with a volt meter and made a really good connection of the two amp wires. Problem solved.

Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143391 06/23/08 11:28 am
649 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
ignition switch.....

1970 tr6r dryframe
Re: Approach to a T-120R Problem Humbly Requested – Bike Quits! #143392 06/23/08 9:47 pm
A
az-idea Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
..Sudden death at 3\4 throttle..sounds electrical..thing that sticks in mind is you say"one,or both"cylinders drop out..?..leads me towards points plate connections\condensors?..Vs furthur down line[Alt.main Gr.et cet]..but could be Head Gr.loose too..

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership