BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
marinatlas
marinatlas
FRANCE- DINARD -BRITTANY
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
yamaha 650 front end on oif frame.
#139905 04/23/08 5:58 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
greetings

I have a 71 and 72 bonneville. i have two front ends from yamaha 650's. the bearings are larger and the stem is longer on the yamaha, years ago I was told they were interchangable. Any tech or bearing numbers etc. would be appreciated. I want to change because of the disc brake as i want to ride the bikes more and i am in an area of heavy traffic. The conical (comical) front drum is just junk.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: yamaha 650 front end on oif frame.
#139906 04/23/08 6:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The conicals can be improved......longer brake arms, centred backplate and good adjustment.

Having said that, discs with good pads make for a less worrying ride. smile

#139907 04/23/08 6:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I do not have any experience with this particular swap, but I recently did mount a set of Cerianis on an OIF. I believe the only viable alternative is to fit a .75" diameter steering stem to the Yamaha trees. The problem is that the OIF steering head bearing "cup" has a unique outer diameter (BTW, the bearings are available at a typical auto shop - they are a common trailer wheel bearing) and there are no alternative inner "cone" bearings. HTH

#139908 04/23/08 6:41 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The Timken bearing series is LM11900. The cones are LM11949 and the cups are LM11910. They are identical top and bottom.

#139909 04/23/08 8:52 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the help.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership