So, good for about one mouse power? Made a set of gears on the 3D printer. Truncated the high gear as I am not mounting a sprocket on it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
After putting this together I decided to use metric bearings in the support plate as they are more readily available and cheaper than foot-and-finger bearings. Looking at the complete setup I thought it would be better to use a needle/ball combination bearing on the layshaft to control the end float and eliminate the shimming so I redesigned the support plate. Of course, after I ordered special needle-ball combination bearings for the layshaft, I was thinking why not just use a ball bearing? Those needle/ball bearings are expensive. It turns out I could fit a ball in there but it also intersects the hole for the shift shaft (the domino effect). No problem, I will bolt a plate across the face to support the shift shaft. No, the kickstart half gear goes right through where the bolt and plate has to be. Have another go and shorten the shift shaft and move the support plate outside the kickstart gear path.
I wonder how many erasers the designers at BSA went through?
I have an unmatched case half that I have used for other tests. I cut a window in the gearbox so I can see how everything fits.