Hi guys,

Just thought i'd introduce myself and see if I could get some advice/wisdom from the old hands. I've just bought a 1968 Lightning from my dad...we did a bit of a swap, he took on my BSA Bantam D5 in exchange for the Lightning and some cash wink

The Lightning is in decent shape with the previous owner having spent some money on her in the past. She's got an SRM clutch and crank as well as electronic Boyer ignition. Over Christmas we installed an SRM oil pump too as well as Dunstall Ace bars.

Currently she's only running a single carb (thunderbolt spec. essentially) but we do have a twin carb head ready to go on at some point most likely after i can afford the new carbs/additional carb kit.

Now here's the fun part...being 27 and liking doing things the difficult way and having a bit of an adventure, i'm planning on riding the bike from Poole in Dorset to Val D'isere in late April to visit my sister who's doing a ski season out there (the snow should be well clear of the roads by then...). I was wondering whether anyone on here does or has done any touring on a Lightning at all?

Also advice on decent vintage panniers which will fit the bike would be useful too!

Thanks,
Nick

[Linked Image]