Ha ha, Doc.

For me, reading "...a healthy guy could have gotten an engine running with it.." is the equivalent of hearing fingernails running down a black(chalk)board, mate.

Why not, "...a healthy person could have caused an engine to run with it..."?

This ugly, American, bastardisation of the English language really gets on my tits, son.

Ditto "snugged up" versus, the less cosy, "nipped up".

That aside, and being 99.999% confident that I'll never own a motorcycle with a magneto, this thread has been fascinating to read and really sends out a message to those who dabble in the dark art of magneto or, for that matter, any other type of *restoration*.

For the uninitiated, the world of older motorcycles is a minefield to tiptoe through, check you still have all four limbs connected, and then place your trust in the hands of the "professional" to deliver the service you require.

Here's just one example of what can happen when you entrust part of your motorcycle to a "pro":

I had a later cylinder head parked on top of the barrels of a 67 T120. It was one of those with the alloy block manifolds, rather than the screw-in stubs. It needed the plug holes coiling; new valve guides blah....

So, I took it down to L*n at The Cylind*r H*ed Sh*p, who at that time was still operating out of W*mbled*n, SW London, and explained my requirements: One, possibly two, plug holes to be sorted; new valve guides and seats cut to accept whatever Fandango valves they were flogging back then; cosmetic vapour-blast of the whole head; oh, and could you tickle these manifolds so there's no discernible step where they meet the head- in other words, just make the intake flow smooth, yeah?

L*n: No problem. Road or race?

Figgley: Er, it's a road bike, so road.

Several weeks(months?)and £400 later, I take that bastard drive from NW London to effing Wimbled*n to pick up the head that is going to make the Bonneville breathe freely and to the maximum of it's abilities.

All I had required, in terms of flowing, was a smoothing of the joint between the manifolds and the head proper and a general clean-up.

Initial impression was that the head looked pretty....very clean. As new. L*n, or one of his slaves had, as promised, sealed the joints between manifolds and head with something other than paper and locked the studs, which was part of what I desired.

Turning the head upside down revealed, obviously, there had been a shitload of alloy removal that I hadn't asked for. He'd opened up everything back from valve seats to carb-side manifold faces.

Cheers for that, you hoon.

OK for 32mm Mikunis but not what I employed you to do, Len, you C*NT.

Your, slapdash, approach to customers' needs; your general lack of interest in anything other than yourself; your hiding behind that effing SERCO and pretending to be an *engineer* rendered my expensive head unfit for the other EXPENSIVE gadgets I had to feed it, mate.

Give me back that alloy you stole. I know where you hang out, sunshine.

L*n Paters*n is a cowboy trying to ride a thoroughbred. The guy's an arsehole

So, I have a nice '72 cast head that's flowed, courtesy of L*n, to breathe lots of vapour but is useless for 1 1/8 or 1 3/16 Monoblocs/ 30mm Concentrics [email protected]

I still have the original head, which is in very poor shape, but I have to treasure it and keep reading this blog, sunshine.

Where did I start? Oh, yeah- old motorcycles are the route to insanity, geezer.

P.S. Back in 81/82, before I knew the score, Ian at Roebuck's in Rayners Lane, Middx insisted I needed to turn over my Smith's Tach in order to procure a set of Jap-made TR5 clocks.

Hopefully he died of cancer.

Dave x

Last edited by figgley; 08/23/15 8:48 pm.