I'm rebuilding a 1929 350cc L-29 Sloper. Most of it is back together but I have a concern about the big end oil feed. There is a bronze bush in the timing cover that fits over a threaded shaft/stud on the end of the crankshaft. The bush is fed with oil direct from the oil pump.

My concern is whether there is something needed to improve the seal between the bush and the threaded shaft to minimise oil leakage? I've made a felt oil seal that bears against the end of the bush but I'm not sure if this is part of the original design. The end of the shaft has a small indentation and I wonder if there is some sort of jet intended to fit in here - maybe something spring loaded that fits within the bush. I've scoured the parts manuals and can't find anything that I'm missing from my engine. If anyone on here knows for sure how this seal is made I'd be very grateful for a reply as it may set my mind at rest about the nature of the oil feed.

Here are some pics showing the stud/shaft, the bronze bush in the timing cover and my attempt at a felt seal:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]