Originally Posted by johnm
While checking to this level of detail may seem over the top for everyday use it is exactly this sort of accuracy that makes the fastest bikes go fast!! (and reliable!!)
Thanks very much for your note. It's nice to know the information is being read and appreciated. While h.p. wasn't a concern for this particular restoration, it comes as a free added bonus with reliability and smooth running.

An impression of "over-the-topness" might come from my description of this restoration being spread out over four months by the time I'm done. However, although I didn't keep track of the time spent actually working on the magneto, what is taking four months to describe probably added up to the equivalent of about two days of work on it. The magneto was actually in my hands for 29 days, during which time I made two trips across the country, plus worked at my normal job.

If the level of attention I used on this magneto does strike some people as over the top, all I can say is, it's not. It certainly is possible to get away with a much worse restoration than the one I'm documenting here and still have the magneto function, just as it is possible to do a poor rebuild of an engine using improper clearances and ill-fitting aftermarket parts and still have the engine run. Also, while I am equipped with some over the top instruments, e.g. the Talyrond of my most recent installment, in all such cases there are "normal" pieces of equipment that could have been used instead (a mill's rotary table instead of the Talyrond). Some tools are specialized (e.g. a Merc-o-tronic tester), but specialized tools also are needed to rebuild an engine (e.g. a cam pinion extractor). The point is, the tools I used would be needed by anyone who is capable of doing magneto repairs properly, and their work would be done to the level of detail I'm describing.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 10/22/12 6:14 pm. Reason: fixed typo