Hi Ola, yes that is a normal 1970 bike.
The Y bikes of 1970 used a completely different number sequence. Actually almost random in nature but it did have an affinity to big numbers, 11000 to 15000 or so.

The normal 1970 bikes were recorded in the 1970 shipping books.

On the other hand, the 1970 Y bikes had all their details recorded in the 1967 books (I know, don't ask us why)...
Because they were literally squeezed into the 1967 records we are still unsure whether they used vacant numbers, numbers of bikes that never existed, - or if there was a chance of a duplicated number. ie a Dash Y bike of 1967 sharing the same number as a Y bike of 1970.

The first Dash Y bikes started around 3000 in the 1967 year. Until now I am not so sure we had seen a number lower than that in the 1970 Y bike sequence. I think the two 7000 ones were the best I could come up with.

If you look at the dating lists for 1970 (normal) bikes it will say they started at 101. That is impossible as they were all 5 digits.

But you are correct, Mike's engine number is unique in more ways than one. Very unusual.

Because BSA were using two sets of books for the 1970 twin production it must have produced a few dilemmas along the way.

Which book did they record Mike's engine in for example ?

It would stand out like the proverbial if they recorded it in the 1967 records... likewise it would draw attention if it was entered in the 1970 books.

I actually doubt it was recorded anywhere. The numbers really are that damning.

Sorry Ola, I have just realised you may have been helping Leon, Alex and John out with their query.
I think Leon's number is typical. Alex has a good point about the change in style... I had been ignoring or overlooking that.

Last edited by Kevin (NZ).; 02/09/12 10:17 pm. Reason: Last paragraph added

Why, Y, Dash Y..