BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
glastrywhippet
glastrywhippet
co.down n.ireland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
46 registered members (Adam M.), 288 guests, and 472 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 92
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
637,637 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,392
Posts654,290
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
British Motorcycles in General
1 minute ago
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
I have no irons in this fire, but after chatting with a friend who bought a new monbloc I thought i would put this out there.
Said friend found that his New Monobloc float would foul on the inside of the float chamber where the tapped hole bosses are, careful dressing resolved this. he also reccomended an article by the Enfield owners club regarding the fibre washer under the float valve seat, see here.
http://www.whfolk.co.uk/REOCHUMBER/Articles/monobloc.htm

Seems like these carbs must leave the works untested, caveat emptor.

Although reading the link, it seems that the carbs that the author was dealing with were not new ones, but carbs with a history and perhaps replaced parts.

I'm right in the middle of installing a brand new Monobloc, and will see if it has the "pip" on it for proper float height ....

Lannis
2 14 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
25 minutes ago
Thanks. Stuart, I'm sorry I don't understand why I would try swapping the plug caps, which are crimped terminals with rubber covers, when I tried swapping the whole wire and coil side and still both work on the right but not the left. I could try different wires or try the NKG resistor caps I have which are plastic and screw into the wire. I'll check the battery while running too but I did try running it off my car battery to no good effect.
5 144 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
27 minutes ago
My own 1986 MZ ETZ is still wearing its original, perfectly sound gaiters.
A few months ago I sold a Honda 250 to which I had fitted gaiters back in 1991 - these were obtained from a local bike shop and sold simply as "Triumph fork gaiters".
Twenty-seven years later they were still as good as the day I'd fitted them.......
13 187 Read More
BSA Gold Star Forum
1 hour ago
rocketscientist please read a PM from me
1 21 Read More
BritBike Remembrance Forum
1 hour ago
RIP Adrian Cronauer The Nam DJ and large pain in the arse to the brass!!!
0 15 Read More
British Motorcycles in General
1 hour ago
Al,

I'm also running a Motobatt MB9U on my 1970 BSA 650. The MB9U series batteries fit all of my Brit bikes as well as my 1973 Honda CB500/4 and my H-D Sportster XLCH battery trays. Excuse the jumble of wires...they are temporary grin

[Linked Image]
13 266 Read More
GARAGE SALE- The FREE Private Buy-Sell BOARD
1 hour ago
PM sent!
1 80 Read More
HOT LINKS Forum
1 hour ago
1970 triumph Daytona 500 - $3600 (Plattsburgh, NY)

https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1970-triumph-daytona-500/6643761462.html

"Up for sale is a matching numbers 1970 triumph Daytona T100R 500. Runs and rides very good. New tires, new top end, new Amals, have a New York transferable registration. Clean bike for age. Hard to find a 1970 Daytona. It's a daily rider not a show bike. 3600 Cash. No trades."

[Linked Image]
0 23 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
1 hour ago
I bought it in 2005 and never had need to take the primary off until I went to change the chain and sprockets. I averaged about 3k miles a year on it.

What I will say is that I remember being aware of a strange noise/feeling....nothing obtrusive but just something I felt was different to my previous T140D.

I had had the primary cover off and thought the alternator and stator looked odd but online questioning from various sources (I had not discovered 'Britbike.com' at that time) assured me it was fine.

I will say that the bike always started 1st or 2nd kick every time and ran ok until the end...

When I discovered it, I spoke with the guys at Wilemans motors and they immediately recognised that a spacer had been missing

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
6 188 Read More
HOT LINKS Forum
2 hours ago
1949 AJS 500 single - $3350 (FRELIGHSBURG, Quebec, Canada ) - Just over the border of Vermont.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1949-ajs-500-single/6644072948.html

"1949 AJS MODEL 18S 500 CC SINGLE ,ENGINE TURNS WITH COMPRESSION ,TRANSMISSION SHIFTS,NEEDS RESTORATION GREAT PROJECT BIKE LOCATED IN QUEBEC, EASY FOR US CITIZEN TO CROSS THE BORDER"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
0 19 Read More
Ariel Forum
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Villiers
how are you lubricating the exhaust valve guide?
Basically, I'll be relying on a combination of the lubrication qualities of the G2 cast iron I used, a special grease on the top of the guides at every fuel stop, and luck.

Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Now considering the only thing oil in the fuel will lubericate is the inlet valve & cylinder bore I could not see the need for any ratio higher than 100:1.
If the grease works on the exhaust guide as hoped, it will work on the inlet as well, so no oil in the fuel would be needed. If the grease doesn't work... well, in that case I have to hope the combination of the G2 and luck does. But, I'll still use some amount of oil in the tank because it's easy enough to do so.

two-stroke oil ... premix friendly.
I'm using Valvoline Multi-Purpose 2-Stroke Engine Oil. It claims to be "pre-diluted for ease of mixing with gasoline and may also be used in direct injector systems." I don't understand what the "pre-diluted" part of the description means, but it does seem to be mixable.

I'm vastly enjoying this thread. Isn't it fascinating trying to get into a designers mind of ninety years ago. Just think, at one time all this was cutting edge technology.
Thanks very much. The reverse-engineering of the engineers' minds has been a very enjoyable part of this. Shortly, all that has been learned, or mis-learned, is about to be put to a very practical test.
1,272 166,690 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by lemans
As all the A65-barrels have been rebored once, the majority without a compression plate.
Then, if distorsion occurs, they would all have the same specific wear-pattern.
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
youd have to be going some to distort that surely?
The way to know is to go to the trouble of making an A65 torque plate and then making the measurements. If there is no distortion, then I'm wrong, as are likely the people who use torque plates on much more massive automobile engine blocks.

[Linked Image]
12 320 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
3 hours ago
Are the Emgo pre shuttle valve fork stanchions ok? I know there was a thread problem with the shuttle valve type

I am assuming that the cheaper ones available in the UK are Emgo but could they be another make? Are all the Triumph parts that say made in England made by L. F. Harris?

Dave
0 24 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
4 hours ago
Fantastic stuff. I absolutely need to cross the pond and spend a month or four...
8 377 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
4 hours ago
I think its the over travel why these stands start getting bent. On my friends I/we built the frame stops up with weld (dressed it properly) then fitted a T120 centre stand. works really nice now.
3 123 Read More
Norton Bulletin Board
4 hours ago
I forgot to mention that it's a featherbed wideline frame, mid 1950's,
2 41 Read More
Triumph Bulletin Board
4 hours ago
Thanks for the reply. It has a Boyer Branston Electronic ignition system,
2 77 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
4 hours ago
clap
29 1,103 Read More
Members Bike Projects
5 hours ago
impressive paint guys, looks real good....
38 4,075 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
5 hours ago
Sir John's BMW 507 he bought new just sold at Good wood for over 5 million $$$$$ WOW!!!!
3 253 Read More
HOT LINKS Forum
5 hours ago
Those guys had a Dunlop Alloy Rim with picture listed on ebay for a buy it now price of 300.00. I bought it, and a completely different rim shows up The guy denied it was listed as a Dunlop Alloy Rim. Ebay sent me my money back and postage. Buyer Beware with these guys.
5 296 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
6 hours ago
My original clubmans one merges much lower than any of the aftermarket ones, In the end I made my own using the original as a copy (The original needs re-choming and I wasnt prepared to chop it to make the pipe I wanted.... So made my own) My own version isnt quite as low as it should be but is still much better than anything aftermarket you will buy.

I'll see if I can find my thread with the photos....

Found it

Click this link it goes from about half way down and possibly onto the next page.
11 469 Read More
BSA Gold Star Forum
6 hours ago
Hi Chris, measurements as requested.
As can be seen the mainshaft flange protrude from the outer face of the wheel.
The flange protrudes 0.110" from the wheel face, the main bearing section length is 1.250" from the flange face, the half time pinion section end is 2.900" from the flange face, the end of the thread is 3.400" from the flange face, the total length including the oil quill is 3.800" from the flange face.

Both shafts in my crank are pressed in from the inside of the wheels, up to a shoulder on the end of the shaft , for positive location. This is most important on the drive, as the action of the shock absorber, and the retaining nut, is pulling the shaft through the wheel.

[Linked Image]
15 955 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
8 hours ago
Hi,

Originally Posted by DMadigan
" In reality, all are too low when even tickover pressure is similarly-quoted at around 20-25 psi ..." - yes, but the switch is there to tell you your motor is
toast.

Mmmm ... I've posted before that, if it comes on when the engine's running, it's more a "Engine fcuked" lamp ... laughing

Originally Posted by gavin eisler
According to R bacon the first oil pressure switches operated at 12 psi,

Given the Smiths part numbers and on/off pressures in contemporary Triumph manuals, ime that's one of Mr. Bacon's less well-researched statements ...

Given the ... errr ... legendary ... BSA unit twin oiling system, BSA dealers would've welcomed a 12 psi switch with open arms ... whistle

Regards,
7 278 Read More
BSA Bulletin Board
8 hours ago
Don't think of hitting it
You must roll the bezel over.
Clamp the speedo, face down on some flat hardwood, just tight enough to compress the rubber seal between the glass & speedo.
Now using something rounded lever against the wood to push the bezel over a small amount completely around the speedo.
Lever it a bit more and do another full circumference .
Contine in this fashion till the Bezel is tight against the speedo.

If you have a lathe then you can mount the speedo in the lahe and use a live centre to press the wood down then roll the bezel as if you were spinning a teapot.
Again be wary of too much pressure or you will break the glass.
2 90 Read More
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership