BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BONZO R.I.P.
BONZO R.I.P.
Michigan, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Support Your #1 Forum
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996.. Click here to buy BritBike staff a coffee.
ShoutChat Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
80 registered members (998John), 523 guests, and 739 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LarryL, chickin, Hill Easterwood, Stanier8F, trumpet650
10610 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 124
Mori55 73
koan58 66
NickL 64
reverb 58
Popular Topics(Views)
829,770 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,810
Posts671,720
Members10,610
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
British motorcycles in general
2 minutes ago
How much mileage is recorded on it now?
If it is over 20,000 miles, and as old as it is, it may need to be rebuilt anyway.

Have you run it with a stub cable and power drill to see if it works and does not have
the speedo needle 'twitch' we in the USA refer to as "Smiths palsy?"

Either way, a speedometer rebuilder can set the odometer to any figure you request.
If you are rebuilding the engine anyway, you might as well have the speedo rebuilt as well,
and begin both at "ZERO."
1 22 Read More
7 minutes ago
Charlie Barnes has mentioned to me that he had to bore the case and press in a steel sleeve to fix cases on his race engine.
Another possibility instead of electroplating is to use electroless nickle. No problem with hydrogen embrittlement.
5 38 Read More
12 minutes ago
Keeping in mind that the '67 emblem is plastic, and thus a lot lighter in weight than is the die-cast '68 - 70 emblem, you might get away with it.

The only question I have would be if the two emblems are the same size to look correct in the pocket of the tank where they are meant to be fitted.

Also: know that the '67 emblems had specially molded rubber pads under them to prevent cracking.
1 10 Read More
Triumph bulletin board
17 minutes ago
...the instructions say "with a rocking movement" to pass the recess in the tube when refitting but the rings are hard so do not do that movement like the O rings could do.
I am applying these movements are force but still nothing.
Evident that with dozen of times trying the edge of the rings will be dulled and possibly let me fit it but may be damaged...
10 110 Read More
Triumph bulletin board
18 minutes ago
Thanks for all your help guys......

I managed to free it up using WD40.....took it apart and cleaned it all.
Once I'd done this I understood (together with the above comments) how it works.

I assume this is not a standard Triumph part....or is it?
Never heard of one that can be adjusted like this before.
4 63 Read More
Triumph bulletin board
20 minutes ago
Hello, not an idea but in my 48 500 all four valves and seats are bigger than the stock small ones possibly due to easy to find car ones some decades ago.
2 58 Read More
Hot links forum
28 minutes ago
link

[Linked Image]

Buy it now is $3500....gotta be something wrong?
0 6 Read More
Triumph bulletin board
57 minutes ago
I’m two threads past. Do you think that’s enough ?
54 749 Read More
Garage sale - The private buy & sell board
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley

Buy it Now or make him an offer. I have conversed with this seller recently and he is a nice guy, so can't hurt to offer. BTW, I have had a very high success rate lately with my offers. Good luck.

BSA OIF Head Steady

That IS one that I saw... Actually THE one that I saw. I was going to let it sit a little while longer before making an offer. Folks seem more keen on offers if it's been up longer than 2 or 3 weeks and since I'm not yet really near the point where I need the head steady I guess I can wait it out a little! Thanks!
16 516 Read More
Triumph bulletin board
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Project ROTM
[quote=Tigernuts]Looks interesting, but what's a 'prelude post'?

Is this question about this video? It is an introduction to my YouTube project, trying to break a UK land speed record with my Velocette.

I don't know! You wrote it in the last sentence in your blog. I'll watch the video as soon as I've posted this reply...

EDIT: Yes, I think that must have been what you meant. Looks a great project. Are you allowed a nose fairing? If so, and with clip-ons down by the bottom yoke and as much by way of gas flowing improvements, hot cam (Viper?), raised compression, tuned exhaust, better carburation etc etc, I bet you can break the 90mph barrier. I've never owned a Velocette but a friend had a Venom which was a superb machine. They're very well made and, I expect, pretty tuneable.

People used to race Nortom 16Hs after the war and the best used to get close to 100mph, and they're side valves!

My only tip is to read Phil Irving's Tuning For Speed - very relevant as written when people were doing exactly that with just those kinds of engines. It's a very readable book too.
5 166 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
1 hour ago
But I did have this sour ale on St Particks day with my Corn beef and Cabbage

Im not usually into sours but it was pretty good
[Linked Image]
196 24,390 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
1 hour ago
Helping Hugh (watching Hugh) photograph some bikes he has for sale. While drinking beer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great way to spend a friday evening smile smile smile smile
0 15 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
2 hours ago
Pretty awesome video... Love the girly wall behind the green frame build
1 73 Read More
Britbike faq forum
2 hours ago
I'll ask the forum software programmer and see what they are thinking..
3 41 Read More
Bsa gold star forum
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
To all mystified Yanks:
Ah, the fog has lifted! Once I realized Trevor couldn't be referring to starter rollers I decided 'roller' must be Australian slang for 'car' (i.e. any car, irrespective of brand). Although that only sort of made sense, the actual point of his post was a comparison of batteries so I didn't try for a better translation. Much like my approach to speaking French (or German or Spanish), where sometimes I can get a roughly-appropriate noun and present-tense verb into something like a sentence so I count myself as "functionally fluent."

Returning from the outback to batteries:
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
The rollers have the battery in the boot
OK, that gives the possibility of having a huge battery. For a direct comparison where space is a constraint I went to the Autozone web site (a large chain of auto parts stores), entered the details of my Ford F350, and got a list of 11 batteries that are supposed to fit. "Normal" batteries ranged from 650 to 850 CCA with a correlation between price and capacity ($70 to $190). There also were four Optima batteries in the list, 2 ea. at 750 and 800 CCA ($225 to $275). That is, although much more expensive, an Optima battery wouldn't supply any more starter current to my Ford than a conventional battery.

Part of the price difference is due to Optimas being "maintenance free" AGM whereas the low end batteries at Autozone are simple lead-acid. Five minutes of "research" into this doesn't tell me how much of the rest of the price difference is due to advertising terms like Spiralcell Technology® and Pureflow Techology™, but a CCA is a CCA. Maybe even though they deliver the same number of Amps for 30 sec., perhaps an Optima would last forever and thus would be a better deal for that reason. Or maybe Trevor drank the Spiralcell® Kool-Aid. I don't know, but I do know that I already bought a replacement battery a few days ago and so for present purposes the issue is moot.

Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Note the current ratings for the marine batteries a reasonable bit bigger
That's simply because battery capacity is lower as temperature drops and CCA ratings are at 0 oF while MCA at 32 oF. Different ratings make sense because Canadians still drive cars at 0 oF but not too many use their motor boats when the temperature of the lake drops below 32 oF.
31 638 Read More
3 hours ago
NOTE: PRICE CHANGE - $65 PACKAGE DEAL ON EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE CAMSHAFT! ( plus shipping at cost). Send me a PM along with your postal/zip code to find out what shipping will cost. Thanks.
John
2 193 Read More
3 hours ago
All of the above is available except for the breather disc & spring which is sold. I will take $25 as a package deal on everything else. Shipping is at cost. Send me a PM with your postal/zip code to find out shipping cost. Thanks.
John
2 233 Read More
3 hours ago
I have edited the original ad to show what is still available. Please go by the list and not the photos. I will take $20 for a package deal on what's left, plus shipping at cost. Send me a PM with your postal/zip code and I'll let you know what shipping will cost. Thanks.
John
2 291 Read More
The Rod and Tappet
3 hours ago
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
995 1,163,234 Read More
3 hours ago
Note new CL link.......updated......
7 1,373 Read More
Bsa gold star forum
4 hours ago
[quote=dave - NV]And speaking of mag fitting .. What is a good seal between the mag and the case to prevent water and grit to enter the mag? I've used a thick O ring in the past glued onto the face of the mag housing with questionable results. Cut some from thick gasket material?

My mag has a cork gasket that is about .060 in thick. The retaining screw of the dynamo compresses it to affect the seal. Not being able to find a source for the gasket, I obtained some rubberized cork material and cut my own.

JR
5 223 Read More
4 hours ago
Open to reasonable offers. Let me know what they are worth.
Thanks.
John
1 167 Read More
Bsa bulletin board
4 hours ago
Ok Thanks , i will give it a go.
4 139 Read More
Members bike projects
4 hours ago
I won't pretend to know about your engine. From what I read, it is only suppose to have four studs out of the ten fasteners that hold down the head. You have said you have six. On the last two that are still in, could a washer have been deformed into the threads of the stud(s) as Gavin has suggested by the use of thin ones.
My eye are not as good as they used to be, so using a bore-scope has helped me looking into tight spaces. Mine is a hand held one, but I see that bore-scopes are available to plug into a laptop computer for a small cost compared to the hand held ones.
I have not used this method, but in other old bike magazines they have talked about using a grease fitting attached to spark plug threads and pumping the cylinders full of grease to push the head off.
346 207,456 Read More
The competition forum
4 hours ago
Kevin...you still thinking about doing the salt flats?
50 11,137 Read More
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership